Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Those of you in the financial know how

Those of you in the financial know how Lock Rss

Been talking to a few people from various industries/backgrounds this week and all are saying if labour gets in brace for interest rates up around early 1990 rates - is this true in your opinion ???
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
By god I hope not. We would be seriously screwed.

Been talking to a few people from various industries/backgrounds this week and all are saying if labour gets in brace for interest rates up around early 1990 rates - is this true in your opinion ???

if you look at the history of all the different parties and interest rates they have always been higher under a labour government.

hubby said yes the other day, he had some explanation, but my eyes glazed over and went into auto piolot nodding at all the right places lol

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

The interest rates are set by the reserve bank not the government.

The interest rates are set by the reserve bank not the government.

reserve bank rates though are based upon how the economy is doing which is based on what the government does and spends they dont just pick a number out of the air and go ooh that sounds good

hubby said yes the other day, he had some explanation, but my eyes glazed over and went into auto piolot nodding at all the right places lol

lmao, that is what happens here. i just say that's nice dear, go do what you have to do.

eta that dh doesnt actually think it will matter as the spending part has been done by labour already to help through the financial crisis. interest rates go up to slow down spending, and control inflation. there are other factors but that is the main one.

reserve bank rates though are based upon how the economy is doing which is based on what the government does and spends they dont just pick a number out of the air and go ooh that sounds good

Yep was bout to say the same
yes thats right sorry I got interupted - stupid work expecting me to actually work while i'm here!

It depends on inflation & based on consumer spending, I dont think consumers are too spend happy these days, people are a bit more cautious after the recession (which i never noticed or didnt affect me anyway) so hopefully they will stay reasonable for a while!
The Reserve Bank of Aus is independent to the government. Does not matter which government is in power, its the RBA and current market spending from consumers is what determines the rate. The control the inflation..doesnt all factor from the current government.. for eg the GFC.. didnt matter which party was in power..we still would have had those rate rises.

Yes, traditionaly, looking back, during labour, we saw high interest rates

But under Labour..we are having lower interest rates too...

Thanks sweet dreamz

I consider you a person who knows her stuff about this smile

yes thats right sorry I got interupted - stupid work expecting me to actually work while i'm here!

It depends on inflation & based on consumer spending, I dont think consumers are too spend happy these days, people are a bit more cautious after the recession (which i never noticed or didnt affect me anyway) so hopefully they will stay reasonable for a while!

so really if you look at it like that, if the interest rates go up, its our fault!! smile
Sign in to follow this topic