Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Parents of children with food allergies Lock Rss

Just thought I would start up a thread for those parents who have children with food allergies so that we can share recipes, advice, ideas or whatever we feel like.

My DD, 5.5 years, is allergic to dairy, egg and nut. She also has sensitivites to fructose and the preservatives in the 200's and 600's.

Look forward to getting to know you all! smile

Just thought I would start up a thread for those parents who have children with food allergies so that we can share recipes, advice, ideas or whatever we feel like.

My DD, 5.5 years, is allergic to dairy, egg and nut. She also has sensitivites to fructose and the preservatives in the 200's and 600's.

Look forward to getting to know you all! smile

did u know there is a sticky thread in recipes for allergy free recipes grin

did u know there is a sticky thread in recipes for allergy free recipes grin

Oh! Nope, I didn't. Thanks for that I will have to go and check it out!

Hi there smile
My eldest (5.5yr also) has an allergy to cocoa and has an intolerance to artificial colors, MSG (any flavor enhancer actually but MSG is the worst) most preservatives (600's also) and can't eat some fresh fruits like pineapples, oranges and mandarins. He also can't eat food flavored with them. I actually try to make the freshest meals possible to avoid any additives as we've not pinpointed everything as yet.

Hi there smile
My eldest (5.5yr also) has an allergy to cocoa and has an intolerance to artificial colors, MSG (any flavor enhancer actually but MSG is the worst) most preservatives (600's also) and can't eat some fresh fruits like pineapples, oranges and mandarins. He also can't eat food flavored with them. I actually try to make the freshest meals possible to avoid any additives as we've not pinpointed everything as yet.

Wow! That must make things pretty hard for you. I too make pretty much everything that my DD eats, from snacks for her lunchbox to meals etc. This way I can be sure of what has gone into it. And yes, MSG is a reactor for her as well, horrible stuff that it is!

How does your DS go at school? My DD started at the beginning of this year and the first term I was very nervous. Even though she is very aware of her allergies and takes responsibility for them, its still a worry. I feel bad for her that she doesn't get to take part in any of the "Special Lunch Days" but it seems to bother me more so than her.

lol i should also add the DS is 2 next week n is allergic to all forms of milk since about 5mths old

Wow! That must make things pretty hard for you. I too make pretty much everything that my DD eats, from snacks for her lunchbox to meals etc. This way I can be sure of what has gone into it. And yes, MSG is a reactor for her as well, horrible stuff that it is!

How does your DS go at school? My DD started at the beginning of this year and the first term I was very nervous. Even though she is very aware of her allergies and takes responsibility for them, its still a worry. I feel bad for her that she doesn't get to take part in any of the "Special Lunch Days" but it seems to bother me more so than her.

Yeah we've all ended up on pretty much the same diet (makes it easy for him) and it doesn't feel like a whole lot has changed.
I was nervous about school too and actually had a few slip ups with the diet when the school ignored how serious the intolerance was. Despite having an apparent strict policy about sharing foods between children and my instructions about allowing Jordan to go to the canteen etc kids were still sharing and my son was still getting his hands on money (apparently from friends) and buying things at the canteen. They learned quickly though that I wasn't joking tongue He's been fine since smile

Our biggest problem though has been certain members of the family. They aren't all that sensitive to the fact that he can't have these things (particularly chocolate and lollies) and will actually let their kids almost taunt my son with them. It's heart breaking sad
I've actually had to keep my son home from his fathers soccer games because of it.

:S

DD (3yrs) is allergic to dairy AND soy (sigh)
she prefers oat milk to rice milk and we substitute chocolate with rice chocolate

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

she prefers oat milk to rice milk and we substitute chocolate with rice chocolate

oooer where do you find oat milk? we havn't tried that one, lil man can have rice (and technically rice milk) but it has bugger all nutritional value so we've never really bothered with it

That's quite uncommon isn't it? Its normally either one or the other? That sucks for you! Although DD is allergic to the protein in milk, she can have soy milk, but completely hates it! lol! So we tend to use rice milk as a substitute in cooking etc. But she won't drink soy milk and hates soy yoghurt too. Anything soy actaully, although I can't say that I blame her! lol! blink

Its actually more common then you think and a huge pain in the ass lolol cuz it just rules out so much, bread, cheese, biscuits a lot of breakfast cereals (cuz they contain soy, we were just told to stick away from them)

Its actually more common then you think and a huge pain in the ass lolol cuz it just rules out so much, bread, cheese, biscuits a lot of breakfast cereals (cuz they contain soy, we were just told to stick away from them)

I notice that soy is in a LOT of things when I am checking the labels on products. Bummer!

I am just devo that my DD will never know what a Fruchoc tastes like! lol!

Sign in to follow this topic