Steppin' Out in Style
Age: toddler, child
Skill for Bub: Hand/eye coordination, Just for fun, Mind Builder
Decorating tennis shoes and flip flops adds fun to your child’s life, and interest to their wardrobe.
Have you ever allowed your child to dress himself? To do this, you have to throw out all your preconceived notions of what colours match and what style of clothing goes with what. Children are open, creative, alive and colourful! Let your child create her own shoes to match these fabulous qualities.
What You’ll Need:
* White tennis shoes or flip flops (eg. thongs or jandals)
* Fabric paints (for tennis shoes)
* Strips of colourful fabric (for flip flops)
* Embellishments (sequins, buttons, beads, etc.), optional
* Hot glue gun, if using embellishments
What To Do:
- For tennis shoes, first remove the shoelaces.
- Let your child decorate the shoes using squeezable fabric paints in all textures (puffy, slick, glittered, etc.).
- Or, squeeze the paints onto a piece of paper and let him paint blocks of color using a paintbrush.
- Allow the shoes to dry, and then help him glue on sequins, buttons, beads – anything! If using beads, thread some through the shoelaces while re-lacing them for even more color! (Note: Adult supervision is required when using dice and other small embellishments, which could pose a choking hazard.)
Now for flip-flop fun!
- Help your child tie the strips of fabric around the top of the shoe to cover it completely.
- Trim the strips as desired to get the look she wants (and so she doesn’t trip over them).
- The top and edges of the shoes also can be painted to add more interest.
- To get even more creative, thread beads onto the strips of fabric and tie a knot to secure them. (Note: Adult supervision is required when using dice and other small embellishments, which could pose a choking hazard.)