Fun With Placemats
Age: baby, toddler, child
Skill for Bub: Hand/eye coordination, Just for fun, Making memories
Save birthday cards and holiday cards to create an engaging and colourful placemat to enjoy throughout the year.
CAUTION: Adult supervision is always recommended when creating these crafts. Please note that there may be small parts for some of the crafts that could be a choking hazard for children under three years of age and/or tools needing close adult supervision. Created crafts may not be intended for use as toys, and these should only be used with adult supervision by children under three years of age.
With holidays and birthdays come lots of presents – and lots of cards filled with well wishes. Put those cards to use by creating a placemat with your child that can be used daily and then put away for a wonderful keepsake. These placemats also make adorable gifts for grandparents, aunts and uncles!
- Sheet of poster board
- Birthday cards and photos
What To Do:
- Cut the poster board to your desired mat size.
- Cut, place and glue the cards to the poster board on both sides.
- Have the mat laminated at a local copy store.
- When you put it in front of your child, talk about what your child sees on the cards and who they are from. What colour is Grandma’s card? What animal is on Aunt Jodie’s card?
- Take this idea one step further and make placemats out of other things. Wondering what to do with all that artwork Baby makes? Whether it’s a finger painting, a collage or crayon scribble, you can laminate these pages and make placemats for year-round use, or gifts for friends and family.