Huggies Forum

fish sauce Rss

I love cooking thai food but it always has fish sauce in it and I absolutely hate fish and can taste it. I read in a magazine that there is something you can substitute it for but I've forgotten what it is!! Is there anyone who can help me?
You can substitute fish sauce with SOY sauce. It won't taste exactly the same- not as strong but it still gives some of the salty flavour you are looking for.

Fish sauce is a bit strong and stinky,lol.
[Edited on 05/09/2007]
i just had a look on a website for you, and you can use light soy sauce as a substitute
thank you ladies for the quick replies. Off to the supermarket now, enjoy your afternoon.
Just bumping this up again. I know you can use soy sauce and I did the other night but there definately is another substitute for fish sauce. I have tried looking for the magazine it was in to no avail. PLease please can someone help - I really, really hate fish.
Fish Sauce Substitute

2 Tbsp Chinese fermented black soybeans
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp sherry
1-2 Tbsp miso

Combine soy sauce and sherry in a small bowl. Optionally rinse off salt from the beans. If you have a garlic press, press beans directly into soy sauce mixture otherwise just put beans in the sauce. Let this sit for at least 10 minutes so that beans get all soft. Mash together and add miso. When ready to use, strain out solids. I'm not sure if letting the mixture sit longer deepens the flavor but it
probably does.

There is also a substitue sauce it is called Maggi Seasoning sauce.

Hope this info helped- I asked my brother about it (he is a chef) this is what he came up with apart from soy sauce. I'd be looking for the Maggi stuff first- sounds easier.

Good luck!!!

thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Your brother is a life saver
Sign in to follow this topic