Huggies Forum

Full time Working Mums Rss

Hi all!!! I am thinking about going back to work full time next year and my gorgeous girl will be 7 mths by then however the guilts have started to kick in already and I would like to hear some opinions about the topic!! Especially from people who have done it and how their kids have handled it.

I realise a lot of people have no choice about the matter and I do have to go back to work in some capacity but full time or part time I am just not sure!!

Bec QLD 5mth baby girl

Hi Bec,

I first started full time study when my son was 15 months old. I took a year off when I had my daughter and started full-time work when she was seven months old. Although I have to say I am pretty lucky because I work in the childcare centre that my son attends! My daughter will also be starting there next week!

Whilst I was studying/working I was fortunate enough to have my mother looking after my children. And although it was hard to adapt to not being around them, at least I knew they were in good hands.

I have been working full-time now for over a year and have been feeling like I wanna go back to being a full-time mom! I miss being able to spend time with my kids outside of the "school" environment. On top of that, all the work I have to take home, means less time together at home as well! AND next year I plan to study again ... so it ain't looking pretty!

The things you do .....

Jubs_n_Tia, 24, NSW, boy 06/11/99 + girl 15/05/02

Hi,
I went back to full time study when my daughter was 5 mths, so she was in daycare 5 days a week. I did feel guilty about it, especially when I missed things like the first time she rolled over. But I tried to look at it from a different perspective - that I was doing something that would improve our lives later on, as well as setting a good example for her.
Maya settled so quickly into daycare, and enjoyed it so much that after I finished my degree when she was 10 mths, I left her in daycare 3 dyas a week. She doesn't even cry when I leave her, in fact now she runs to the garage when I say "let's go to daycare". I think she thrives on the social contact there (I am a single mum, and she is the only child at home so it's pretty quiet at home).
I now work 40 hours a week, but I'm lucky that I'm able to work from home, so Maya has 20 hours a week in daycare, and I do the other 20 while she is asleep.
I would suggest that you check out daycares (if you haven't already) to find one that suits you and that you feel comfortable with. It's so much easier when you know your child is happy there, and you trust the daycare staff. I put Maya in daycare a week befoer I started study, so I had a week to settle her in.
Also, check out what your contract has about sick leave etc. in case bubs gets sick. Maya had 2 weeks in hospital when I was studying, which was totally unexpected and so I had to have time off.
Maybe you coul dease back into it by going part time, and see how you go, and if you think you could manage full time then go full time later on.
Good luck, and if I can help any more let me know.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi bec-russell

I went back to work when Paige was 9 months old. I did also feel guilty about her been in childcare fulltime while I was at work. Also been a single mum I needed to go back to work for financial reasons. I am just finding now that I want to spend more time with her as there are just not enough hours in the day. I am considering cutting my hours back when she starts school.
It depends on your situation and as to what is the right decision for you. I will say that Paige thrives being at care, and loves it!

Rachel, TAS (Paige 21/6/02)

hi! i returned to full time work,when my little girl, kailey was 2 months old!i went back 1 1/2 months early as the company i work for had basically fallen apart and needed me back. iam, however very fourtunate to have a very loving caring and understanding partner, who not only looks after kailey 9-5 on week days, but also does 12 hour night shifts, on the week ends and some times 6 or 7 in a row! its hard work, as u get home from work and it all starts again! simon, my partner is 26 in december, and iam 22 in january! some people were against it at the start, now its just the norm! DO WHAT EVER U FEEL COMFY WITH! its hard to leave them, but its always great to come home to that goregous smile and cute laugh, it makes all the stress of work just dissapear!
hope u figure it all out!
best wishes,
aj

AJ, NSW MUM TO KAILEY, 9MTHS

Hi there,
I went back to work 3 months after my daughter was born - mainly due to financial reasons. People put heaps of pressue on me to stay home and told me I was a bad parent, but I can now afford to give her things she needs.

My daughter is now 3 years old and my mum looks after her 2 days a week and she goes to creche with my friends daughter and loves it. Weekends are always family time and we go to the park every night to play.
'
You just need to do whats best for you.

Taylor, Vic, 3 y o

Hi Bec,

I had to return to work for financial reasons when my daughter Harmony was 6 months old. I suffered badly with guilt and spent the day before returning to work crying.

My partner was understanding and tried to comfort and support me (he had been through all this before with his ex wife and their 2 kids) but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I miss my little girl a lot - but I am extremely happy to be back in the workforce and achieving something other than a tidy house at the end of the day.

Harmony goes to creche 3 days a week and to Nanna 1 day a week - once I return to work full time next year she will be with Nanna 2 days.

Just find a creche or carer that you feel totally comfortable with - my beautiful daughter is much more settled and happy now than she was being with me full time - she definitely thrives on being around other kids!!!

The only time it's hard is when they are sick - I would suggest exposing your little girl to colds now - we've been through 3 colds and other bugs since she is in creche!

Monique (mum to Harmony 7mths)

Meek mum of Harmony 28.03.04

Hi lovely ladies this may be of interest if you would like to earn an income but prefer not to return to work. I am looking for other mummies interested in working from home. An interest in health and wellness is ideal. Choose your own hours and help other mummies build a part time or full time income working from the comfort of your own around your children. Full training given, minimal start up costs. This is your own business so you set the pace! Please email holly.hall7@gmail.com for more info smile
Sign in to follow this topic