Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. very small car + newborn, can it work??

very small car + newborn, can it work?? Rss

First bub due in December, I have a very small 2 door hatch- have tried to convince myself that I'll be able to make it work but as the due date gets closer I think I'm starting to realize that I think I'm being a little too positive about it. .we have a car seat that fits, but unless I physically get in the back seat with bub I won't be able to get him in and out, also our pram is the smallest we could find and that won't fit unless I take the wheels off because of the car seat harness strap that feeds into my boot and takes up space. Hubby has a dual cab Ute, and we normally use his car more than mine so the idea of having to replace mine with something more practical isn't sitting well.
I'm attached to my car, it's my first car and I've had it for 6 years now, ive never had any issues what so ever, she is old but is very reliable, I always thought I would have her until she carked it, can't trade her in - every dealer will scrap her and I feel like I'm being a bad car parent if I let that happen to her. I keep telling myself it's time to move on, but it's hard! Anyone with a similar situation, can I make this car work? Or is it time to move on?
I can't talk from personal experience, but I've seen a number of other mothers do it. Like you, they have to climb in the back seat to put bubs in. Personally, it looks like it would be a PITA! Though I guess you just deal with it if that's the only option you have.

I would imagine that it wouldn't be too bad with a newborn, but I'm sure it would get harder as bubs gets bigger.

You may find you start going out more to things like mothers group, play dates etc. yet you might not too.

It doesn't sound like you're too keen to change your car and as you would mainly use hubby's, maybe just keep the car you have and see how you go. If it gets too difficult or you find you go out a lot more, then look at buying a new one. You said that the seat you have fits, so that's fine for now.

Hey there, I have a 4 month old, was in the Same boat as you, I have a 2 door Lancer coupe, and I love my car. I didnt want to sell it or upgrade it, but I can tell you now, it's not fun physically climbing into the back (with a newborn in your arms) to put him or her in and out, and not to mention when climbing out with the baby, it's dangerous and quite difficult. I nearly tripped over my driver side seat belt as its down the side of where you have to climb in and out, with the baby, so yeah it's not very safe either. I put up with it for 3 months, but went out as little as possible to avoid getting him in and out. Also it's not very safe if your were to have an accident (pray that you don't, but) if you were too, rescuers would have a lot of trouble getting to the baby quickly. There's just a few things to think about. In the end I kept my car, just for me to drive when I'm alone, and my partner bought a family car for all of us. It's that much easier now. I would honestly recommend upgrading, or at least using your partners car most of the time. Trust me, I've done it for 3 months, it's a pain in the butt. Do-able, but I'd rather not ever again.

Thank you for the replies.
Hubbys car is his work car so unable to swap his for something more practical so I think I need to give in and trade up, My last effort of convincing myself that I could make it work but I do need to be realistic and all the points you make I have thought about plenty of times, bubs safety is more important than my attachment to my car. Plus my hubby goes away a lot for work so I can't really put myself in a situation that I may struggle with bub. What's life without change and this is apart of becoming a family. Will be a sad day when I say goodbye to my little car.
Check you baby health and diet properly.

http://www.cleanlean.com.au/21daymealplan
Sign in to follow this topic