Huggies Forum

SIL Borrowed Capsule Rss

Hi All

So just wanted to hear other peoples opinions on this.
I lent my SIL my baby capsule in January to use for her second baby, the deal was to use until they could afford a capsule or carseat for him.. Its 9 months down the track now, they are moving to Christchurch so I asked for it back before they leave. She turned around and asked if they could just buy it off of us because she thinks it won't have as much life span now (still has 8 years) and that she would just give me the money to get a new one. I told her I would think about it. The cost of a new capsule is $170, now considering I had bought it brand new and my daughter had only been in it for 6 months I think its fair to ask for the amount that it costs as when I lent it to her in was pretty much in brand new condition and not a stain on it. It now has stains on it due to her son but that isn't my fault. Am slightly annoyed that it now has stains as she was only supposed to borrow it for a short amount of time in the first place.
Do you think asking for the full amount is to much and am I in the wrong? She called me crazy for wanting that.

I think it's fair to ask for the full replacement cost. It may not be brand new anymore but to replace it you need the money to buy one. I personally wouldn't put a child in a second hand car seat unless I knew the original owners well so you're most likely to replace it new for old.

They've already said they're happy to buy it. You can give them the option of the replacement cost and see what they say.

Also the cover should be able to be washed if you're worried about stains. My sons capsule cover looked terrible but looked fine after going through the wash.
I think they thought I would either just give it to them or not ask for much. She has sent my partner a really rude text saying that she is embarrassed for us, we are ridiculous, selfish and rude. Also that we need to do charity work and come back down to earth. I have done a lot for her over the last two years and that's what I get for it.

I think they thought I would either just give it to them or not ask for much. She has sent my partner a really rude text saying that she is embarrassed for us, we are ridiculous, selfish and rude. Also that we need to do charity work and come back down to earth. I have done a lot for her over the last two years and that's what I get for it.

Yeah! You may not have gotten than much if you sold it, but the point is that you need or will need to buy another one! So that it's going to cost you $170. I think asking for $150 is fair enough. Therefor you are a little out of pocket from using it. She needs to understand that had you not have lent it to her than it would not cost you anything and you would have a perfectly good capsule to use for your next bub!

Sign in to follow this topic