Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Why do Mums have to be nasty to each other?

Why do Mums have to be nasty to each other? Rss

There is no real point to this post, I'm just hoping writing it down will make me feel better.
I just don't understand why Mums just can't be friends with each other, you know, just pass the time of day, they don't have to be besties, but why be nasty?
I guess maybe I do know the answer - these Mums have nothing else in their lives so the weekly playgroup is a big social occasion, I don't know.
It just winds me up - yesterday Miss popular who comes across like she is so much better than everyone else, is holding court with other Mums telling them how this new Mum to playgroup had tried to talk to her in the supermarket, and she had practically had to run away to get her to take the hint that she didn't want to talk to her.
WTF! There is no need, yep you don't have to go crazy and organise playdates, but you can just say Hi and leave it at that, no need to mean about it.
The mum in question is possibly a little unfortunate, but I know she suffered badly with PND after her son who is now only a year old, and is fairly new to town.
Why can't people just be nice to each other? We are all here in the world trying to raise our children and do the best by our families, why do they have to be so mean?

Oh, that's harsh! I got so mad at some girls at work one time. They were emailing bitchy comments about another girl to each other, she walked into one of their areas when an email popped up on the screen so she saw it. The other girls were laughing and carrying on and being even more rude about her. So I said something to them, and their defence was that this girl shouldn't have looked at the email. It's WORK for chistsake! They were breaking work email policy, bullying policy etc

Pffft. I totally know that there are some people I just don't like, but I'm not mean to them. And if I need to vent, I vent to my best friend, in private. And she tells me if I'm just being a cow.

Crazy!
Yep just no need for it! Good on you for saying something.
I'm ashamed to say I didn't, and I should have, even if it was just 'why do you have to be so mean'

Totally harsh & wrong of this lady to try to avoid another mum, but -

Little Egg wrote:
I guess maybe I do know the answer - these Mums have nothing else in their lives so the weekly playgroup is a big social occasion, I don't know.

to me what you've put there isn't the answer, in my opinion. For a first time stay at home mum (talking about me here) I went to mothers group once a month. And it was actually a big social occasion in my life, because I lived 50km out of town and was a good help to meet other mums and babies in a similar sort of situation to me. Yes, I still had friends, but not any with young babies like me. And I did have other stuff in my life.

I guess it's just unfortunate some people do not seem to have decent manners.
Yep I know what you mean Wooden Spoon, and playgroup for us, is one of the highlights of our week, or it has been - the bitchiness is getting to me (if you hadn't noticed!)
I guess I meant more that they don't have enough in the rest of their lives to let other people get on with theirs.
In my head I always try and reason with myself that people who put others down are actually really unhappy themselves, so that it makes them feel better to put others down.
Hope that makes sense, and I didn't mean any offence, I know how important getting out and about is to us Mums smile

The mum sounds like she was being plain rude and mean and I cringed when reading she was replaying the event to the rest of the group... I hate cliquey displays like that. There's always one in every group tho. Small towns are especially good at meaningless gossip! (I grew up in a small town)
I totally agree. I don't understand why women have to be so bitchy and have to have a go at others to make themselves feel good. We are all doing our best what we think is right for our own family. We should be around to support each other not turn it into a bitch and make others feel bad.

If you think playgroups are bad. Wait till your kids start school. Then it is a big brag session on what your kids can do. I stay clear of all the Mum's like that. My kids are my kids we are raising them the way we see fit and are happy if our kids are doing their best. Our DD is doing really well and many of the other Mum's brag about how great their kids are doing. I say nothing or as I said stay clear of them and then when they ask are shocked to find that my DD is doing better than theirs and ask why I didn't say anything. The reason my child is working at her level I don't care what your child is doing. We are all different. Why can't we just support each other and or kids no matter what level of they are at.

I think that it is the nature of women to bitch to make themselves feel good. We need to change it. Why can't we feel good by being supportive and not bragging and being bitchy.

Ah yes. DH and I say mums are the worst! Like high school all over again! But now they use their children in the drama sad
That is mean but this comment

is also very nasty. You may be able to answer your question by asking yourself why you felt you needed to make this comment about the other mums.

Aka G&L smile

SaRiLaRi wrote:
That is mean but this comment

is also very nasty. You may be able to answer your question by asking yourself why you felt you needed to make this comment about the other mums.

Little Egg wrote:
Yep I know what you mean Wooden Spoon, and playgroup for us, is one of the highlights of our week, or it has been - the bitchiness is getting to me (if you hadn't noticed!)
I guess I meant more that they don't have enough in the rest of their lives to let other people get on with theirs.
In my head I always try and reason with myself that people who put others down are actually really unhappy themselves, so that it makes them feel better to put others down.
Hope that makes sense, and I didn't mean any offence, I know how important getting out and about is to us Mums smile

Thanks Shine *on smile

smile

Sign in to follow this topic