Huggies Forum

Flying while pregnant Rss

How far along are you?

I flew when I was about 12 weeks pregnant with Froggy. Just a bit nauseous on the plane- but I requested aisle seats so I could leg it to the toilet if needed. It wasn't a problem.
I don't think there are any risks to bub if you fly that I know of, some airlines won't take women after 30 odd weeks in case of premature labour but otherwise I think it's ok. I flew at 13 weeks and also 6.5 months, all was fine smile
Obviously getting toward the end the airline doesn't want to risk you going into labour mid flight and they might ask how far along you are and/or want medical clearance from your doctor. If you have a history of complications they will restrict you but I think that relates more to early labour than to the flight causing risk iykwim. So check the airlines policy on flying while pregnant.

Other than that, it's just about preventing deep vein thrombosis and varicose veins and just general swelling so look into circulation socks.

Oh 4s I too am a terrible flyer. Anxiety, panic you name it! Sadly you still feel all these emotions whilst flying when pregnant, throw in a bit of nausea too for good measure!
I flew long haul at 16 weeks and domestic (with a letter from midwife) at 35 weeks, just make sure to get up to walk around as much as you can, and do stretches and wriggle your toes. And the onset of dehydration can be sneaky at altitude so keep your fluids up.

Planes generally come equipped with first aid gear and those trained to use it, and you tend to get medical attention quicker (they'll divert the plane if needed) compared with say if you were to have an accident and get knocked unconscious people who spot you might not immediately recognise you're pregnant??

Sorry if this just scares though, I don't mean to!!!

[quote post="3580008" name="4 surprises."][b]4 surprises. wrote[/b]:
Other than that, it's just about preventing deep vein thrombosis and varicose veins and just general swelling so look into circulation socks.[/quote]

If you do suffer from these complications ( In which I don't) What would be the reason for concern?[/quote]

deep vein thrombosis is clots and in rare cases flying contributes, plus pregnancy can impact that too. Like I said, pretty rare I think.

Varicose veins and swelling are just unpleasant lol

I get sooo swollen on flights. As in my legs are the same width foot to above the knee. And that's not preggo. Ick.

You need to check the airline web site. Different airlines have different policies and guidelines. But most will let you line till at least 30 weeks.

Good luck.

I was told you had to have a letter from your doctor saying that it was alright to fly.
I flew with virgin & I think you couldn't fly over 35 or 36 weeks pregnant.

I flew to Sydney when I was 16weeks with my dd. Dont recall having any trouble. xx

I flew to Canada at 25 weeks, came home at 31weeks. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. My dr ok'd it, I took a letter saying it was medically ok for me to fly. I don't think your allowed to fly after 34-36 weeks at all though. And I know different airlines do have different rules, so you probably want to check that.

Tbh, your probably safer flying. If something happens to you halfway across the nullabor your nearest echelon could be hours away. When flying there is generally someone who knows first aid on the plane, and your only a short time away from the nearest airport.

As others have said, you should be fine at your stage of pregnancy, as long as you are healthy. Double check with your airline though when you go to book, but it's generally about the 36 week mark when you need a dr's note to say all is ok to fly for the airline to let you on.

I have heard of some airlines staff refusing someone (a year or two ago) because of their size, they were thought to be further along in their pregnancy then they were, and as they didn't have a dr's note, they weren't allowed on. So, it may be better for you to have a dr's certificate regardless of the fact that you are still okay to fly, just in case the airline gets funny.

Cuddles for Me wrote:
Tbh, your probably safer flying. If something happens to you halfway across the nullabor your nearest echelon could be hours away. When flying there is generally someone who knows first aid on the plane, and your only a short time away from the nearest airport.

I did the Nullarbor trip when I was pregnant and back again. I was 30 weeks & 33 weeks on the way back. We checked with the dr before we went - and he said it was okay to drive that far, just ensure plenty of stops for walks around etc, although he'd have preferred it if we flew. But, we needed to drive that time. But, both ways are doable, depending on your health. smile
Sign in to follow this topic