Huggies Forum

Advice on kids with SPD Rss

SPD or APD?

Our eldest has APD (Auditory Processing Disorder), and we are waiting for assessment for our youngest as we suspect he might have it too. If you suspect APD make sure to mention that specifically as it can't be picked up on a standard hearing test. Our eldest has hearing aids which helped a bit, but he also now has an FM system which has done wonders for him. The FM system pipes the speaker's voice directly into his hearing aids so he doesn't have to deal with so much of the background noise that he then has to 'filter'.

He was only diagnosed last year at nine and a half, and to be fair, he's compensated fairly well all this time. He's never really been a big reader or writer, but academically he's done 'ok'. Depending on what the deficits are (and how bad) things like speech therapy might be recommended. It was suggested to us that he learned to play an instrument so he can learn to recognise differences in tone and pitch (his major deficit) but he's not really been interested in doing that.

Our eldest manifested in repeating things incorrectly or saying "huh" a lot, sometimes he misheard words too but he never really displayed any outward symptoms. He had issues in class when things were really loud, though at other times if the class was quiet but others were talking he'd say they were being too loud. His behaviour was adversely affected too and he had a hard time making and keeping friends. He went through a stage where he'd only read non fiction; never had any issues with speech or vocabulary, though spelling was sometimes a challenge for him..and still can be.

Our youngest has a couple of speech issues that were labeled within normal ranges by a speech therapist he saw just after he turned 5, but he's jumbling up words or hearing them incorrectly now and still gets some of his sounds wrong. I've wondered if he's got some sensory processing issues BUT he makes friends easily enough and is generally a very outgoing kid.

3littlemen wrote:
C_hippie_kiwi wrote:
Our eldest manifested in repeating things incorrectly or saying "huh" a lot, sometimes he misheard words too but he never really displayed any outward symptoms. He had issues in class when things were really loud, though at other times if the class was quiet but others were talking he'd say they were being too loud. His behaviour was adversely affected too and he had a hard time making and keeping friends. He went through a stage where he'd only read non fiction; never had any issues with speech or vocabulary, though spelling was sometimes a challenge for him..and still can be.

Our youngest has a couple of speech issues that were labeled within normal ranges by a speech therapist he saw just after he turned 5, but he's jumbling up words or hearing them incorrectly now and still gets some of his sounds wrong. I've wondered if he's got some sensory processing issues BUT he makes friends easily enough and is generally a very outgoing kid.

That's interesting that he never had and speech issues as I would have assumed hearing and speech go hand in hand,
My ds is friends with everyone and is a very outgoing kid too, he does often look at me though after I say something with this puzzled look and say what?

This week we have started a couple of new things to try, 1. as I never know wether he's listening to me and find my self repeating things over again and I get annoyed, so now when I say something he has too look at me and say yes mum I'm listening and give me all of his attention, it seems to be working well ATM and we are both less frustrated smile
And 2. If he doesn't finish his work at school he has to bring it home and I will do it with him, it worked really well last night and he did all his maths without really any help, so that now shows me he CAN do the work if he's in the right environment, and hopefully this way he won't fall further behind he may even catch up smile

As raspberry said they are all different and I guess we just have to work what works best for him,

APD isn't really a hearing issue usually, but a processing issue. So sometimes they miss some (or all) of what is said to them, but they can hear normally (which is why they will pass a standard hearing test). I was talking to the grandparent of a kid he went to school with last year and she said sometimes he'd say things in a 'weird' way. It used to frustrate us when he appeared to not be hearing/paying attention and it took a while to come to grips with the fact that he wasn't intentionally not paying attention..and we still now have to make sure he's looking at us so that we are sure that he's heard; but again, the hearing aids and the FM system have helped immensely in that area. We rarely get angry violent outbursts anymore..though he still has a temper if he's tired and/or gone a few days without having the hearing aids in.

This actually has pretty good info on APD and there's an audio recording at the bottom of the page that gives an indication of how APD might sound to someone who is dealing with it.

http://www.soundskills.co.nz/Auditory%20Process...

Sign in to follow this topic