Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Jan, Feb, March, April babies... Defer or not to defer school?

Jan, Feb, March, April babies... Defer or not to defer school? Rss

My oldest son was born 28th March... The time has come to fill in the kinder forms... I'm wanting to defer him so he will start school 5 years old and turn 6 yrs old at the end of March. My husband wants to send him 4 years old, turning 5 yrs late march...

What are your thoughts? Send him or defer for a year and wait till he is older?

I sent my DS to school when he was 4 and he turned 5 mid April. He was very ready to go, he is now in year 2 and is way ahead of his class (he is actually doing year 5 maths) but I think it all depends on each child.
It is such an individual thing as each child is different, however If you have any concerns about any area of his development I would defer.

Does he attend preschool or kinder? You can ask his teacher for their opinion.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

The terminology is interesting, I would say it is sending him early or in the standard year, rather then deferring him, or I have heard people talk about 'holding them back a year'. I understand that you can (in Vic) choose to send early when born in that period of the year, but that the 'standard' year would be 5 turning 6. I was particularly young in the year and although I had no problems at all academically, it sucks turning 18 so long after everyone else (up to 2 years after for me sad). You also want him to be sufficiently mature to deal with everything in high school, which is difficult to predict before you are there. I think being so much younger and probably smaller as a result can be hard too, as wrong as it is, physical prowess can be pretty important among boys and 15 months can make a big difference. If a preschool teacher strongly suggested the particular child needed to go early, I would consider it, but not otherwise. Just about every teacher I have spoken to thinks it is best to wait as a rule of thumb.

Are you planning on him attending preschool? Have you thought about trying him in 3yo Preschool this year and that way you can choose to do 3yo or 4yo next year, depending on what the teachers and yourselves think is best for him? I was chatting to a preschool teacher at ballet the other day and apparently you can't do 4yo twice unless there is a diagnosed problem because of the government funding, 3yo doesn't get funding, so you have more options.

Good luck with the decision smile

I've got this problem with dd2. Her birthday is on 11th April and the cut off is 30th April. She has just turned 3. I have decided to wait until the following year to send her to school. Technically she should do 4 year old kinder next year and start school in 2016. She will actually start school in 2017.
DD1 was a May baby and was 5 and a half when she started school. I think it has been good for her that she is one of the older kids in her class. When dd2 starts school she will only be a month older than dd1 was.
I have been told socially it's better for them to be older.

My kids are all born at the beginning of the year. My DD March and the twins January. We sent them to school when they were 4 turning 5. My DD is now in year three and doing great in the top half of her year. and The Twins started this year and loving it and the teacher tells me they are doing well.

I think it really depends on the kids. All of mine went to preschool for two years before they started. They were more than ready. I think that helps.

It is really your choice. My DD has kids in her year that are 12 months older than her and the same with the twins. We do a lot at home with our kids to make sure that they are were they need to be but all with games and fun so they really don't know that they are learning at the same time.

Good luck with your decision it is a personal one.

My son is an April baby, he was ready for school last year, but I am glad I waited to enrol him this year (he just turned 6). My other son is a March baby and I will be doing the same.

Research says it's beneficial especially when they get to the older grades

Aka G&L smile

if he seems ready then let him go, otherwise hold him back, it is a hard one, I have friends who have held them back and say it was the best thing they ever did, and I have others that put them in early and are happy with it, so its up to you, you can always put him in and see how he goes and if his not liking it pull him out to start the yr after
I started school at 4 n my bday wasnt until june. I sent ds1 at 4 (bday april) n he has been in his class top 3 since kingergarten n hes in year 8 now! Ds2 was nov n nowhere near as sociable so really needed that extra year n dd was sent at 4 (march bday) n is also academic. Only ds2 went to preschool, in hope of becoming more sociable. I think it depends on their sociability n personality. U can always enrol him n if it doesnt work out then re-enrol the year after.

I guess kids start school at beginning of year in Aus, in NZ we send them when they turn 5, so Bub born early march doesnt start school till early march, bub born late october starts late october

LilGem wrote:
You also want him to be sufficiently mature to deal with everything in high school, which is difficult to predict before you are there. I think being so much younger and probably smaller as a result can be hard too, as wrong as it is, physical prowess can be pretty important among boys and 15 months can make a big difference.

My husband is a high school teacher and says the same, also there is a big difference at the end of high school too.Our eldest was born in May and started school when he was 5 turning 6.He was bright enough to start at 4 turning 5 but socially/emotionally he was not ready and has thrived at school

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I kept my April son back, he started school this year but could have started last year, and it was most definitely the right choice. He would have been ready to send last year, but I am glad we waited, he is doing really well. I will be doing the same for my March baby who would be ok to start next year but won't be starting until 2016

Aka G&L smile

Sign in to follow this topic