Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Help!! Top or front loader and which brand?

Help!! Top or front loader and which brand? Rss

I love my samsung top loader. Quick, quiet. It's great

Sewing my way through pregnancy - www.buttonsandbooties.blogspot.com.au

lol. Im the opposite to the other girls. I HATE our front loader, much prefer our old top loader.

Our front loader is WAY more vicious on the clothes than the top loader ever was. LTop loader was way more gentle. And the frontloader take FOREVER to wash the clothes. (the top loader took ages too but not quite as long as my front loader and at least the top loader told you how much time was left!)

Oh, and its noisy. And I HATE that I always turn it on and then discover something else that should have been in it but of course cant put it in until the cycle has finished.... With my old top loader I would just lift the lid and throw the extra things in but that doesnt work with the front loader. sad

Anyway, In short, Given the choice I would go top loader!
Supermummy wrote:
lol. Im the opposite to the other girls. I HATE our front loader, much prefer our old top loader.
Our front loader is WAY more vicious on the clothes than the top loader ever was. LTop loader was way more gentle. And the frontloader take FOREVER to wash the clothes. (the top loader took ages too but not quite as long as my front loader and at least the top loader told you how much time was left!)
Oh, and its noisy. And I HATE that I always turn it on and then discover something else that should have been in it but of course cant put it in until the cycle has finished.... With my old top loader I would just lift the lid and throw the extra things in but that doesnt work with the front loader.
Anyway, In short, Given the choice I would go top loader!

All those reasons were similar for me and why I didn't want a front loader and having a fisher&paykel fl didn't do much to change my mind. When I went looking for a replacement I had a checklist of requirements and they were basically everything you listed was what I didn't want. I checked and compared average cycle times, the ability to open mid-cycle and also looked at some online reviews for my top picks for an overall impression by people that had those machines. There are lots of brands/models that have short cycles (mine has a quick wash option of 20mins and an everyday wash option of 40mins) and also the option to open mid cycle. Just have to shop around smile
My FL has a 20 min quick wash. Normal wash is 40 or 50 mins then there are longer options. Originally I thought it may be annoying not to open mid cycle but no it doesn't bother me. I noticed how much more gentle it is on my clothing. I use wash bags for most things also and they last longer too. If only they had try before you buy lol.

I swapped from top to front loader. They take less room, less maintenance and the kids love stacking or removing the clothes from it. My only recommendation is get one big enough for your family and ensure the timer is visable. The only downfall with them is they take a bit longer than a top loader and use a different washing powder.
My front loader is great if you forget to put something in you can pause it open it up and put more in, in thfirst 15 minutes of cycle which is great, but i do know not all front loaders do this. smile

We are told to forgive and forget, but if we forget what we forgave then isn't forgiveness pointless?

Lol buggiemumma. Mine won't even let you do a spin cycle and then open it. Or if the power goes out your fucked as you can't even open the bloody door. Pisses me off so much! Lol. Once started you have to do a full wash before it can open. And if the power goes off in the middle or right near the end tough luck, start it all again!
I've had both in my life and would never willingly have a top loader ever again! tongue

We've had two washing machines in the last 15 years, both of them a Bosch. Our first one finally died about two and a half years ago after moving from one side of the world to the other, and with multiple moves in country as well.

In between our old Bosch dying and being able to afford to get a new one, we had a top loader loaned to us by our neighbours...OMG! Not only did the damn thing leave our clothes dirty (even after multiple washes and heaps of powder) but it ate our clothes too! angry I had a pair of very good quality jeans that after two months of being washed in this machine were full of holes! The 'spare' pair I had from the same place, has now lasted more than 12 months of being washed in our front loader with not a sign of damage. But it wasn't just jeans it ate, it ate tops and undies too. If we had more money, we'd have probably gone a Miele, but that's the only brand besides a Bosch we'd consider.

Anywhoo...the quickest wash is 15 minutes, our new machine you can add stuff to (the old one we couldn't), but tbh even if I have to wait until the next load to add stuff it's not that big a deal because there is always laundry waiting to be done here. It doesn't eat our clothes, gets them clean, is good for the environment, and a giant box of washing powder can last in upwards of six months, even if I am doing three plus loads a day.

front, bosch

I have a miele front loader and love love love it. We've had it for seven years and never had any problems AT ALL. We had several top loaders in a short time before investing in this one. We didn't seem to have any luck with our top loaders despite buying well known brands (fisher and paykell, LG and Samsung). When our miele dies (hopefully not anytime soon) I will not even think twice about replacing it with another miele.
Yep I think I am going to have to go down the Miele front loader.
It does seem like sooo much money, but I don't want to spend $1000 and in 2 years time have to replace it. Miele seems to be the only make that has awesome reviews where ever I look.
Dreading spending all that, but also pretty excited about having beautifully clean clothes again! smile

Right, decision made!
I washed our white bed sheets this morning and the have come out with black marks on them! Damn u washing machine.
I have rung heathcotes and we are going to pick up am 8kg beko front loader this afternoon - yay! smile
After much investigation I decided on this make. It has great reviews and on the nz consumer org report it only comes in 4 points below meile, and for a third of the price we just couldn't justify 2k more.
I will get my miele one day, but fingers crossed the Beko will see us right in the meantime.
we've already shipped the old top loader over the the neighbors so there's no going back now smile

Sign in to follow this topic