Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Offensive or not? Rss

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/9953960/...

There is a short video on the page, or you can watch the whole video if you click here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3xM93rXbY

My personal opinion is that the writer must be feeling insecure about her mothering to find this offensive.

What do you think?

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

Well I found the add amusing and took it as a lighthearted joke which I think is its intention? Certainly didnt wind me up like it appeared to with the writer of the article!

She seemed very cross tho and I couldn't decide if she had a less than ideal time with her own mum growing up or if she felt guilty about being a working mum. Maybe both!
I have a couple of friends who took the 'offensive' line as well because they thought it was comparing mums who stay at home to mums who work.

I personally thought it was genius.

I thought it was a really clever ad and not offensive at all. But can understand that perhaps a working mother may find it offensive. But then, I have to say I think working (part time work) mums do have it easier. I mainly work from home,but I do look forward to when I have to go into work fro the day. But I didn't have ds so that someone else could bring him up.

I loved it!! I'm not supermum every day (most but not every lol wink ) and I didn't take offense smile I think the ad is.taking their hat off to all mums- we all do these things after all whether you're.working or staying at.home!

So good...I got teary but thought it was hormones lol

Offensive? No. Cheesey? Yes. wink

I don't see how anyone would find that offensive unless they have a combination of no sense of humour and a compulsion to pick and whinge at everything and anything. It was quite sweet and nothing offensive about it.
I didn't think it was offensive at all! Just a humorous take on the sacrifices that mothers make, working or stay at home mums alike.

Thanks for sharing zinkles!
I don't find it offensive, and I've been both working and SAHM.

I think some of you have missed the point of her post completely. Shes talking about the line that there are no breaks in motherhood. Shes saying there is too much pressure on mothers to be perfect and give 100% to their kids leaving nothing for themselves, no breaks, no down time. She may have suffered PND and felt that the pressure to be perfect contributed to her PND.

She didnt mention actually mention SAHM vs working, her own mum, guilt about working, or guilt about her own mothering.

As for the ad, my reaction was 'thats cute, but also, Dads do those things'. I think Raspberry Sundae made a good point - its an ad. Its supposed to sell things.
Little Egg wrote:
But then, I have to say I think working (part time work) mums do have it easier. I mainly work from home,but I do look forward to when I have to go into work fro the day. But I didn't have ds so that someone else could bring him up.

So many variables in whats 'easier'. I work full time and Ive been on extended mat leave as a mother of 2. I found both things to be hard work, in different ways. Hubbys been on extended parental leave and he thinks taking care of kids is a cakewalk compared to his job. Yet my job has a higher workload than his. I work with awesome people though and he works with difficult people. I think different things are hard at different times and thats OK. I couldnt manage to do work from home so I admire anyone who does it with kids!!

All you mums and dads out there, you are doing a great job, whatever you do. Happy mothers day.
Sign in to follow this topic