Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. game- might be a bit tricky? Let's see :P

game- might be a bit tricky? Let's see :P Lock Rss

1. Your 6 year old spills a drink. Do you clean it up or do you make them?
-They clean it up smile My 5 year old goes and gets the t towel if she spills her water when getting it out of the front of the fridge.

2. Your 16 year old wants to sleep over their mates house for a movie night. There will be friends of the opposite sex there- but there will be parents apparently. Are they allowed to go and if so are they allowed to stay the night?
- Oooooo.....They can go with a curfew of 11pm but not sleep over

3. Your 14 year old has to study with an assigned partner for science. You know the kid they have to study with is a sh!thead and you don't trust them as far as you can throw them. Do you let your child go to their house to study, do you let them study at your house or do you make them study at school or at a library, etc?
- Study at our house, library etc. Not his house.

4. Your 5 year old has to do a reader for school every night. About two weeks in, he/she gets really upset when you get the reader out. Do you make them do the reader?
- These questions are really hard!!! Have a break and maybe rewrite the reader on the computer so its all on one page with clip art pics! smile

5. Your 7 year old really, really, really wants the latest popular toy that isn't exactly cheap. You aren't sure whether they are going to like this toy by the time their birthday comes up, and Christmas is even longer away. They have been saving every cent they come across, but are only half way. Do you pay the rest for it, or come to a compromise- or too bad, keep saving, junior.
- Come to a compromise...somehow!

6. You find out that your 7 year old was watching Family Guy at a friends sleep over. The parents hadn't asked you if that was okay. Do you care?
- Yes I would

7. You find out your 6 year old was watching The Hunger Games at their older cousins house. Do you care?
- Yes

8. Your 5 year old watched Gremlins at a friends house and he is now having nightmares and wetting the bed. What do you do?
- Help them through why they are scared

9. Your 4 year old wants to play Peppa Pig on the Wii- only she/he isn't quite getting the concept of the game and is continually asking you to help. You just...cant be bothered, anymore.... My goodness, you couldn't be bothered half an hour ago when the madness started. What do you do?
- Set a time for when we do it

10. You mum/ nan/ MIL/ insert something here makes a comment out of the room (but you can still hear- they don't realise) to your child that they needn't ever worry about anything because they will always be there, even if mummy and daddy aren't willing to pick up their game. What. Do. You. Do?.....
- Talk to the person about it without child present and let them know that isn't appropriate.

Good game!!!!!! Who knows if my answers will be different by the time I actually have a teenager...

1. Your 6 year old spills a drink. Do you clean it up or do you make them? HELP THEM CLEAN

2. Your 16 year old wants to sleep over their mates house for a movie night. There will be friends of the opposite sex there- but there will be parents apparently. Are they allowed to go and if so are they allowed to stay the night? HMMM I WILL COME BACK TO THIS QUESTION IN ANOTHER 13YRS tongue

3. Your 14 year old has to study with an assigned partner for science. You know the kid they have to study with is a sh!thead and you don't trust them as far as you can throw them. Do you let your child go to their house to study, do you let them study at your house or do you make them study at school or at a library, etc? MY HOUSE AND LIBRARY

4. Your 5 year old has to do a reader for school every night. About two weeks in, he/she gets really upset when you get the reader out. Do you make them do the reader? ASK THEM WHY THEY ARE UPSET ABOUT IT AND HELP THEM THROUGH IT

If yes, and the upset continues every night, do you still continue to force the issue?

5. Your 7 year old really, really, really wants the latest popular toy that isn't exactly cheap. You aren't sure whether they are going to like this toy by the time their birthday comes up, and Christmas is even longer away. They have been saving every cent they come across, but are only half way. Do you pay the rest for it, or come to a compromise- or too bad, keep saving, junior. HMM IF THEY HAVE PROVEN THEY GET THE IDEA OF HOW MONEY IS THEN GO HALVES IF I HAVE THE REST

6. You find out that your 7 year old was watching Family Guy at a friends sleep over. The parents hadn't asked you if that was okay. Do you care? YES!!! I DONT THINK ITS APPROPRIATE AND CERTAINLY DONT LIKE MY KIDS WATCHING IT BUT WOULD EXPRESS IT IN A FRIENDLY MANOR

7. You find out your 6 year old was watching The Hunger Games at their older cousins house. Do you care? YES SAME AS ABOVE

8. Your 5 year old watched Gremlins at a friends house and he is now having nightmares and wetting the bed. What do you do? DEPENDS IF THIS WAS THE ISSUE OR AN UNDERLYING CAUSE IF IT S THROUGH WATCHING THEN TALK IT OVER TO HELP THEM THROUGH IT

9. Your 4 year old wants to play Peppa Pig on the Wii- only she/he isn't quite getting the concept of the game and is continually asking you to help. You just...cant be bothered, anymore.... My goodness, you couldn't be bothered half an hour ago when the madness started. What do you do? IF THEY WANT TO KEEP PLAYING GET THEM TO KEEP TRYING WITHOUT ME OR GET SOMETHONG ELSE AS INTERESTING TO GET THEM OFF IT

10. You mum/ nan/ MIL/ insert something here makes a comment out of the room (but you can still hear- they don't realise) to your child that they needn't ever worry about anything because they will always be there, even if mummy and daddy aren't willing to pick up their game. What. Do. You. Do?.....SHOW THEM WHO ISNT WILLING TO PICK UP THEIR GAME wink

I make them do it

2. Your 16 year old wants to sleep over their mates house for a movie night. There will be friends of the opposite sex there- but there will be parents apparently. Are they allowed to go and if so are they allowed to stay the night?

It would depend on if I knew the parents or not and if I could contact them to check if there would be supervision

3. Your 14 year old has to study with an assigned partner for science. You know the kid they have to study with is a sh!thead and you don't trust them as far as you can throw them. Do you let your child go to their house to study, do you let them study at your house or do you make them study at school or at a library, etc?

they would be studying at my house

4. Your 5 year old has to do a reader for school every night. About two weeks in, he/she gets really upset when you get the reader out. Do you make them do the reader?

Yep

If yes, and the upset continues every night, do you still continue to force the issue?

Yep but we would talk about why they are reading it

5. Your 7 year old really, really, really wants the latest popular toy that isn't exactly cheap. You aren't sure whether they are going to like this toy by the time their birthday comes up, and Christmas is even longer away. They have been saving every cent they come across, but are only half way. Do you pay the rest for it, or come to a compromise- or too bad, keep saving, junior?

Come to a compromise, like they help more around the house to make the extra money but I wouldn't just give it to them

6. You find out that your 7 year old was watching Family Guy at a friends sleep over. The parents hadn't asked you if that was okay. Do you care?

Nope I'd rather they didn't watch but it's not going to hurt them

7. You find out your 6 year old was watching The Hunger Games at their older cousins house. Do you care?

Hell yes whoever was looking after my child and let them watch it would be getting an earful from me

8. Your 5 year old watched Gremlins at a friends house and he is now having nightmares and wetting the bed. What do you do?

I would try and talk about why their scared and would ask the friends parents to not show my children shows that may scare them in the future

9. Your 4 year old wants to play Peppa Pig on the Wii- only she/he isn't quite getting the concept of the game and is continually asking you to help. You just...cant be bothered, anymore.... My goodness, you couldn't be bothered half an hour ago when the madness started. What do you do?

Just help them with it quickly and if they don't get it then I'd put it away for another day

10. You mum/ nan/ MIL/ insert something here makes a comment out of the room (but you can still hear- they don't realise) to your child that they needn't ever worry about anything because they will always be there, even if mummy and daddy aren't willing to pick up their game. What. Do. You. Do?.....

I would pull them aside and tell them that it's not on to talk to my children like that about us their parents and if they continue to do so they will no longer be looking after the children

Forever, for always and no matter what

Ok here goes...

-They can clean it up (unless it's red wine or something that's going to make a big mess and even worse with their help). Ds just turned 3 and has for ages been going and getting a cloth if he spills something a me cleaning it up as best he can. If they struggle and have made a valid effort and ask me nicely then I will help. wink

- I dunno. Depends a little on what my child's like normally etc I guess. If she's a good girl studious etc then possibly, if she's rebellious and into boys etc then maybe not. Perhaps with a curfew. Or maybe discuss with the other parents if I know them and make sure they're on the same page as me?! Discuss it with my child?! Maybe volunteer for movie night to be at mine instead?!

- They can study at lunchtime during school hours and at my house after school where I can keep an eye on them. (I guess it also depends in what way the child is a shithead and why I didn't trust them)

- yep. I would discuss what the problem is and why they don't want to do it and explain there's no need for tears etc. hopefully work through it and let them know I will help them etc. if it's not working I would discuss with the teacher about what's wrong and if something has changed at school etc and go from there.

5. Your 7 year old really, really, really wants the latest popular toy that isn't exactly cheap. You aren't sure whether they are going to like this toy by the time their birthday comes up, and Christmas is even longer away. They have been saving every cent they come across, but are only half way. Do you pay the rest for it, or come to a compromise- or too bad, keep saving, junior.
- probably agree to go halves. Or offer some money for jobs etc. or a combination of both.

- Yes, I wouldn't be overly happy. DH isn't allowed to watch it around either of the kids. Not really appropriate IMO.

- Yep, again, not really appropriate.

- Not really sure what gremlins is?! But I would be pretty pissed off. Work with the child and hopefully help stop whatever the fear is etc. and also talk to the friends parents and let them know it wasn't appropriate viewing etc. wouldn't be letting them go back there either!

- distraction! wink lol. Find something else to do.

- I would confront them (preferably while child isn't present ) and tell them they are out of line etc. I would also discuss with the child that it wasn't right for ____ to say that and that you will always be there for them blah blah blah...

Id get them to do it but then id probably go over it to make sure it was all clean.

hell no

probably at my house so i can keep an eye on things

Id probably miss that night and then think of a fun way of coaksing them into it the next night.

pay th rest. Especially if they have been super good and been working hard to save the money

wouldnt really like it but wouldnt make a big deal out of it.

I dont know as i dont know what its about.

explain to him that its not real and show him the making of it to prove it.

Take it away and give her something she can use properly

It really depends who says it because my reaction would be totally different if it were my mum or MIL.

It is interesting seeing everyones answers smile

I'm pretty certain my answers will be different when I actually have teenagers. And depending on what kind of teenagers they are!!

bump

Get them to clean it but redo it after anyway

ring the parents first to see if they will be there... hopefully my 16yr old is trustworthy enough to be mature etc (we were all young once)

Study at our house but watch them like a hawk

Yes, maybe offer a reward or make games out of it

depends on the price but yes I would pay the other half if he had been well behaved etc

Would be annoyed (sons dad lets him watch stuff I don't like) but aslong as he wasn't repeating it etc it would be ok

If they seemed traumatized or upset about it than I would bring it up with the cousins/ aunty etc

explain how its not real and its only a movie etc

Dig out an easier game or buy one etc

Depending who it was... if it was my sons nana (my ex's mum) I would go off at her because she is very vindictive
Sign in to follow this topic