Huggies Forum

teaching or nursing HELP Rss

Hey everyone, I have a little issue about my study. Im currently doing my bachelor in nursing and am finding i am no longer interested in it. I cant get the motivation to learn and i have been thikning a lot about changing my degree. I like the fact of caring for others, i particularly wanted to work in NICU and then continue study to be a midwife but i feel like my passion for the whole nursing thing has depleted.
I have always wanted to be a teacher ever since i was young but then worked as a carer and desided nursing was for me. Recently i have been thinking about teaching again.
The issues are i dont want my family to think im giving up as they were so pleased with me doing nursing. Also the whole money thing (which doesnt matter to me) my other half doesnt want me to go for a career that potentually will earn me less money (i dont know the rate differences between teacher and nurse). I know these are idiotic factors but they do bother me. I hate ppl thinking im a failure.
Anyway what would you do in this situation?? are there any nurses or teachers that can give me some pros and cons or any advice ............. thanx smile

I got halfway through my teaching degree then switched to nursing.... Similar reasons to yours but towards nursing.

A pro for teaching I can add.... As a teacher you would have family friendly hours, and you will get to spend school holidays with your kidlets and not have to find someone else to look after them, something which my husband and I are going to struggle with once I finish my degree (he is a shift worker too).

Good luck in making your decision

Interesting topic - I'm part way through secondary teaching and am really nervous as I'm doing my first curriculum this semester. I started it last year but pulled out due to illness. Aside from being sick though, the reality was that I couldn't do the assignment. It was the first one where we had to put together lesson plans and I just couldn't figure out what to use due to the breadth of information available on the internet.
So, my question for you Quick Sticks (if you don't mind) is how much time is spent on lesson plans etc?
I've been in corporate sales for 15 years also so I'm really nervous about how the kids will treat me. My reason to try teaching is based on my passion for my subject area and hopefully assisting kids with learning it. I'm also concerned I won't have the patience to teach the kids who don't "get" it.
Well, I'm a nurse who has always intended to do midwifery (when I finished my general training at 20, I felt I needed a few more years of "life experience" and work experience before doing my mid - a decision I do not regret). I have worked in general medical, aged care and now I'm in NICU. I understand your feelings about the study - I found the course to be long winded and in all honesty it didn't really prepare me for the "real world" both in terms of clinical experience and knowledge and in realistic expectations of what nursing was like.

I think that compassion fatigue you are describing disappears very quickly - most first year nursing students have this idea of being a little Florence Nightingale and just want to "help" everybody and hold the hands of the dying etc. Not saying this isn't a part of nursing, but it takes on a different shape to what you initially picture yourself doing. I think the hardest things about being a nurse is the shift work, the frustration of not being able to do your job as well as you want to simply because of time pressures and work overload and patients that no matter what you do, will either not like you or will not take control of their health and want to blame you... That said, since I have started in special care and NICU I have been much happier and more satisfied with my job and find it very rewarding. Like teaching though, parents can be a difficult part of the job... and you have to have a thick skin. Most however are lovely and very appreciative of the care you are giving their baby. Unfortunately it is not a job that you are likely to get immediately after graduation and you will no doubt have to do your time in positions that you don't love and you have to do them well so you get good references.

I've never really considered teaching but I imagine it has many of the same frustrations of nursing and that reality of the job would be different to expectations of the job.

If you have any specific questions about nursing or NICU you're welcome to message me

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Thanks. Sounds like the parents can be a nightmare. I think I'll try and do the practical if its possible later this year (although I'll have a newborn) so I can see if it's the right path for me.
I finished studying my bachelor of midwifery 1 yr and a bit ago and have been working as a midwife for nearly a year now. I did this with 4 little kiddies now aged 2-8. I do believe that I have a fantastic job, as I get to work with women through one of the most important events they will ever have in their life and it's a pretty great feeling. The down side to the job though is the shift work!!! None of the shifts are really very child friendly. Usually we are under staffed and run off our feet. It can also be really hard to get holidays approved, and you have to work days like christmas which with my kids I'm currently not a big fan of doing but unfortunately it comes with the job. Babies aren't born mon-fri 9am-5pm lol. Also depending on the unit (and i'm sure it happens wherever you work) but working with predominately women it can get quite catty at times as well. However the job itself is pretty special when it's all going well smile

Holly

Thanx everyone for your replys/info i appreciate it smile
Im so conflicted on one hand i want to finish what i started its been a long journey just to do one year ive had to stop study due to caring for my granny who passed and then when i finally picked it back up years later i fell pregnant which became a bit difficult and had to drop placement due to being too big and too pregnant :/ Its taken sooooo long and there have been soooo many obsticles i feel drained. I get no help at home so studying is hard at the best of times. My other half is just interested in the income i will bring home which is frustrating as i dont want to do something just because of money i want to do something i enjoy but he just seems to be interested in the money. I can understand he wants us to be better off finantually but its at the expence of my happiness. I want to spur on but im not sure in what direction.

Im also not the best at mathamatics so i take extra long to understand it, i get there in the end but it is a big factor in me being disheartened in study. Ahhhhhh i wish someone would just tell me what to do lol and i wish i didnt care what other ppl thought of me because my fam really sway my opinion.

Another thing im not sure how im going to go with the blood etc side of nursing i know for sure at first i will be a bit scared but possibly will get used to it but should i be like this if im trying to be a nurse?? I mean ive seen my fair share of icky stuff working in aged care but im talking about rips etc. Sounds so silly

If you've worked in aged care for a period of time, you'll probably be able to handle most bodily fluids you encounter in a hospital... but you do need to have an iron stomach! That said, every single nurse I know has one or two things that they just cannot handle. I know so many nurses who can't stand watching a patient vomit and end up leaving the room to vomit themselves. Others can't handle sputum (respiratory secretions). The one that always got me was dentures and having to clean them when they are covered in salvia and dinner and goodness knows what else. I'm very happy now because of course babies rarely have teeth!

I don't know about where you live, but in QLD where I am if you're an RN you can do a post grad in 12 months to become a teacher. So I suppose there is the option of completing your RN degree and if it's not working out you have the option of the post grad. A lot of uni's now do dual RN/Mid and that may be an option if you're really keen on getting into neonates or midwifery sooner. Perhaps you could talk to a career guidance counselor at uni about your options etc

Well i have been doing my research and some soul searching and i have come to the desition that im going to try to get into a bachelor of primary education. I have a meeting with the course adviser at my current uni to get some info if my GPA is good enough and if i will need to continue studying nursing this year to bring it up. Unfortunately i have to wait till August to apply for the teaching course so its going to be a long wait but i will be doing a lot of finger crossing, hoping and wishing that i am good enough to get accepted and that someone gives lil old me a chance.

I really want this and the more i think about it the more i realise that its what i wanted all along i just got swayed in another direction. Im so scared and excited i finally feel happy at the prospect of studying (teaching). I really cant wait till i have an answer but even if i dont get accepted with my GPA im going to find any avenue i can to get into this course.
Thanx all for your advise and mummsy and quick sticks i added u just in case i have some questions later down the track ..... thanx for accepting smile

I'm glad you have come to a decision and feel a renewed excitement about your future career. Both teaching and nursing are tough jobs and the other ladies are right, you need to be passionate about them to do them well. I hope that teaching inspires you and you get a long and enjoyable career out of it. Good luck for your GPA!

Skubala wrote:
I'm glad you have come to a decision and feel a renewed excitement about your future career. Both teaching and nursing are tough jobs and the other ladies are right, you need to be passionate about them to do them well. I hope that teaching inspires you and you get a long and enjoyable career out of it. Good luck for your GPA!

Thanx so much smile I agree totally about being passionate about the job in order to do it well and i think that spark just wasnt there with nursing. I tried to talk myself into it but i have finally been honest with myself. Dont get me wrong it is an honourable occupation and i have great respect to those special ppl that are nurses and do it well but its just not for me. Ive always wanted to do teaching and am happy that i have finally put other ppl aside and thought about what i want to do. Someone said to me yesterday that im the one tht has to live with the desition and go to work everyday so it might as well be something i feel excited about because in the end i have to go in everyday not the other ppl that think they know whats best for me (not sure if that makes sence but the jist is there lol).

merryberry wrote:
Skubala wrote:

Thanx so much smile I agree totally about being passionate about the job in order to do it well and i think that spark just wasnt there with nursing. I tried to talk myself into it but i have finally been honest with myself. Dont get me wrong it is an honourable occupation and i have great respect to those special ppl that are nurses and do it well but its just not for me. Ive always wanted to do teaching and am happy that i have finally put other ppl aside and thought about what i want to do. Someone said to me yesterday that im the one tht has to live with the desition and go to work everyday so it might as well be something i feel excited about because in the end i have to go in everyday not the other ppl that think they know whats best for me (not sure if that makes sence but the jist is there lol).

I can completely understand! There are a lot of rubbish nurses around - not because they aren't smart or capable, just because you can see they don't really want to be there and don't get satisfaction out of the job. You definitely need to choose something that you are going to find enjoyment out of!

Sign in to follow this topic