Huggies Forum

First birthday cake Rss

DS 1st birthday coming up in !arch and I have been giving his cake a lot of thought I am super strict on the types of food i give him and im not sure i really want him to have a sweet cake.
Although im copping a lot of shit from other people about being a mean mother , cause its only one day and blag blah blah and as an amateur cake decorator i have so many ideas on how i want the cake to look.
I have been googling healthy cake and there does seem to be a few different recipes.

Just got me curious about what other mothers have done, so for those of you who have gone through the first birthday saga what did you do?

We are told to forgive and forget, but if we forget what we forgave then isn't forgiveness pointless?

The Walking T wrote:
First child just a regular chocolate cake and second child a butter cake marbled pink/purple

Both shaped like 1's his blue hers pink his had maltese red and sugar animals and hers hand handprints (hers) and love hearts

Aw they both sound lovely, see im totally in two minds cause cake decorating is kind of my thing and I have so many ideas and i would love to do. My husbands first birthday that we were together was his 21st so i did a special cake and then continue every year and it has become a bit of a tradition for me so i would love to continue this tradition with DS.

argh so conflicted smile

We are told to forgive and forget, but if we forget what we forgave then isn't forgiveness pointless?

Mum Of 3 Cuties wrote:
I just did a simple run of the mill chocolate cake with buttercream icing.

Sort of viewed it as a rite of passage from babydom to toddlerhood that first taste of cake. smile

I really like that idea of it as a rite of passage smile

Tickled*pink wrote:
I'm pretty terrible because I can make quite nice cakes (if I do say so myself lol) but for both the girls- they had store bought cakes for their first birthdays. For spuds birthday in march my mum and i are making this gorgeous Cookie Monster cake. I'm so excited to start it. It will probably be a mud cake, not sure whether it will be chocolate or white choc yet.

Oooooo cookie monster cake im excited just with the thought. Good luck im sure it will look fantastic I hope you will post pics smile

Mum Of 3 Cuties wrote:
What are your options?

Well my father is a fireman and that has always been a sort of theme with everything for DS. For fire truck is possibility.

But also i have had a love for everything st. Patricks related and how crazy that DS actually ended up being born on st. Patricks day. So maybe a shamrock, course I've done this many times before.

Really like a lot of the "hungry caterpillar " cakes i have seen. This was a very special book when i was growing up.

Also just recently dabbled in rainbow cakes and love the simplicity of the rainbow layers with a simple white icing and all the colours surprised when you slice it.

I have some decorations with a safari theme so elephant also possibility.

Just to name a few. smile

Mum Of 3 Cuties wrote:
I meant as in what other option other than not a sweet cake more than the theme of the cake but I like the idea of the Hungry Caterpillar cake.

The first birthday cake was a train for both of my boys. smile

Ohhh duh, sorry brain went out for coffee this am and never came back.

I have seen a couple of cakes that use sugar free apple sauce or no added sugar apple sauce and banana to sweeten and generally has whole wheat flour or wheat germ and spices. Some are egg less.

http://www.ourhavenhill.com/2012/06/05/recipe-h...

This was one option i liked the sound of.

But at the same time they do sound a bit boring and to be totally fair i wouldn't eat it so should i make DS?

I'd be more concerned about artificial flavours/colourings than sugar. There are simple ways to add natural colouring to cakes if you're interested in that. I've been looking into it lately as I've had a bit of cupcake fever! I'm going to try beetroot for pink buttercream with my next batch smile

[quote post="3534774" name="Tickled*pink"][b]Tickled*pink wrote[/b]:
[quote post="3534768" name="Nai&BE"][b]Nai&BE wrote[/b]:
I think its completely up to you what you do but I don't think its a big deal to have a bit of sugar on their first birthday.

quote]

I agree. I doubt much will end up in the mouth anyway tongue laugh[/quote]

Thats a good point i didn't think about that.

Tigerlily. wrote:
I'd be more concerned about artificial flavours/colourings than sugar. There are simple ways to add natural colouring to cakes if you're interested in that. I've been looking into it lately as I've had a bit of cupcake fever! I'm going to try beetroot for pink buttercream with my next batch smile

Thats true i might have to do some googling on that now. Luckily I've got a while to nail down the details.

Good question, my DS is turning 1 in feb and I have started to think about his cake. It will be a busy time for us so I'm thinking of getting a local lady who likes to decorate to make one for me. I have a few concerns also as my son can't tolerate a lot of wheat and diary at all. I would like to get him a thomas the train one made as he loves that show.
HI there, Neither of my kids had any cake at their first birthdays. The first was barely eating solids - she mainly liked raw veg and the second, well...I don't know, we just didn't really think of it. She wasn't eating sugary foods so none of us gave her any. It wasn't a big deal. Nobody made a fuss or said anything. The subject just didn't come up. We asked mum to make their cakes, so that was pretty special for mum. Nothing fancy, just a family recipe that we feel connected to. For us their first birthdays are about celebrating them with family. We just make a few goodies for afternoon tea and enjoy each others company. We don't have massive parties for them, we don't do traditional party food or play games. The baby has no idea that people think they "should" eat certain foods or that they are somehow missing out, the issue totally lies with the adults. The baby is just surrounded by people that love them, thats all. If you don't think your baby should eat cake at this stage - no problem, don't give them any. People make it into a huge deal and its just not. I mean what do they think will happen if bubs doesn't have any. The first time they have cake will be special - it doesn't have to coincide with their birthday if they aren't ready. Just say they aren't up to eating that at this stage. xxx
I havent read the other replies, but with my first child I had the same dilemma with healthy cake choices for my dd's first birthday. She had never tried anything artificial or anything that contained processed sugar before and although I too copped it big time from everyone saying "you're mean let the poor child have a proper cake", I just didnt want to give her something sweet like that just yet when she was that young she didnt care, So I went with a carrot cake made with wholemeal flour and natural honey as the sweetner, left out anything too artificial, and I got somebody else to make it for me cus Im rubbish at baking especially when not quite following a recipe. It turned out not too bad, looked good, tasted a bit bland. I knew my family would force cake in her face regardless of what I said so I made sure the healthy cake was her main cake so at least when the time came to let her try cake it was a healthier option. With my second child I was a lot more leanient on his first birthday, although I still dont give him sweet stuff, I did give in and provided a cake that others would enjoy but it was just a basic homemade vanilla cake with jam and fresh cream and strawberries and blueberries on top. Turns out he was only interested in the strawberries and pretty much devoured every strawberry on the cake! smile
Sign in to follow this topic