Huggies Forum

Scared every night :/ Lock Rss

So this is probably going to sound strange but, Every single night I lie in bed and am convinced we're going to have a break in. I freak myself out so much and every noise gives me a huge fright!! I read the Perth crime fb page and read about all the home invasions on there so that doesn't help at all. Does anyone else get super anxious like this?? Or any ideas to help me stop freaking so much?? sad I have a dog that sleeps outside but I don't know how much he would do to prevent anyone coming in, he's a bit wussy and a jack Russell lol.
Long time no see tongue

Get an alarm system! One that you can set up at night to arm the perimeter of the house... I'm the same though, always freak out every time I hear a noise so you're not alone grin
Have you got secruity screens & doors that may help. Plus have a alarm system.

I'm very jumpy too, but i seem to be fine when hubby around but when he not a so on edge.

I would look into an alarm system etc. They could easily shut the dog up with a kick to the head or worse. gasp
Ok I'm going to sound very dumb but what does the alarm system do if someone enters the property??
I'm glad it's not just me who gets scared!!!
sorry,I dont have any serious advice but could lend you my boys who have all these 'home alone' movie trap ideas lol

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

sorry,I dont have any serious advice but could lend you my boys who have all these 'home alone' movie trap ideas lol

LOL that'd be great, thanks grin
they will also kick any intruders in the nuts as they keep telling me.I am sure they would scare anyone away LOL.I hope you feel more safe and secure soon

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Yes I feel like this too. I had to stop watching those real life crime stories to stop myself freaking out.

Tips -

Get window stays and dead bolts.
Remove any objects from around the house that can be used as a ladder to get into windows if you don't have stays.
Stop reading and watching about real life crime.
Have your cell phone by your bed.
And ask your neighbours to keep an eye out for people and vehicles. Tell them you won't think they are being noisy if the come out and look if you have a visitor.
I feel your pain, i cant help my self but read them and watch the shows when i was a kid i use to watch Australias most wanted and couldnt sleep for ages i have now de-activated my facebook so i cant read the crimes, take your self off the page hun,

if you have an alarm system you can set it to that you can move around in your house but any doors open or windows alarm will sound, what area do you live in, get to know your neighbours, knowing your neighbours is the best security,
what you read just remember there are thousands and thousands of house in perth your chance being broken in would be very low.

Ok I'm going to sound very dumb but what does the alarm system do if someone enters the property??
I'm glad it's not just me who gets scared!!!

The alarm would probably scare you half to death cos u can set it to zones, so u can put it on while ur asleep, but if u forget to switch it off it will go off & give u a mini heartattack from the sound.
Hi there,

I agree with the realistic safety precautions. However.... i think you also need to work on why you are feeling so anxious. Everything suggested is great, but it also just accepts that you have a reason to be so anxious and feeds it. I am not sure what area you live in, but if it is one where home invasions are very common - then maybe you could start working towards living in a different area.
You need to stop watching anything that feeds into your fear. You should think about getting some counselling to help you with techniques to deal with it. It is ok to have concerns about something like that happening, but if you are anxious every night waiting for it for no other reason other then having seen it on the tv, then it is irrational. Its normal to become more protective when you have kids, but if it is affecting your life in a negative way (which obviously it is or you wouldn't have posted, then you might just need a little bit of help in working out how to handle those protective feelings and help you not feel out of control.) I had to deal with it for a little while after dh was threatened and it was a wrong number... blink It was a horrendous helpless terrifying feeling. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
All the best!
Sign in to follow this topic