Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

rooster in freezer Rss

dh and his mum "processed" a rooster yesterday.I did not want to see it so took the boys to the library.When we got home there was a 'chook' in the fridge ready to roast.I already had dinner planned so its now in the freezer in a plastic ziplock bag.Looks just like a bought one lol but a bit on the skinny side.The breed is dual purpose bird not a meat bird so hopefully it will taste ok,they were originally bred for both eggs and as a table bird.I will have to invite mil over for dinner soon,seeing as she plucked it. Dh told me one funny thing .He had one rooster out in the vegie garden and when he caught the one he was culling the other rooster gave him a stare like it knew.After it had been done hubby took the feathers and innards wrapped in newspaper to bury in the garden.He said the other rooster just looked at him as if to say where's my brother and kept hanging around dh while he dug a hole.Dh said to the rooster there's nothing to see here and shooe'd it away.He said as soon as he said there's nothing to see the 'victims' leg fell out of the newspaper. We have not culled them before at the eating stage

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Did you name him? It always feels more cruel when they have a name lol

When we used to have chickens, my dad gave them chicken meat scraps & they ate them up (soooo weird to watch). Maybe the other rooster wanted to eat his brothers innards? lol.

We also culled, plucked & ate our own roosters. I dont recall what they taste like, but mum & dad said they were good smile

Hope he tastes good smile
no names for them.Ds3 trying to think up a name for his show winning hen.No eating of the prize winners lol

haha it was a way of life for me growing up eating our animals and chooks so Im not offended at all!! and this may offend some too- but us kids use to watch dad do it (a bit sick I know but we turned out alright!!)

agree here
my DH family this is all natural to them, i wont be there when they do it though, i think its grose. and it does tastew alright just a little less meat on it,
I would be careful how you cook them as dual purpose chooks can tend to be a bit like rubber. So if it was me, i would stew it!!

I would be careful how you cook them as dual purpose chooks can tend to be a bit like rubber. So if it was me, i would stew it!!

ok thanks, its too big for the slow cooker

Dh told me one funny thing .He had one rooster out in the vegie garden and when he caught the one he was culling the other rooster gave him a stare like it knew.After it had been done hubby took the feathers and innards wrapped in newspaper to bury in the garden.He said the other rooster just looked at him as if to say where's my brother and kept hanging around dh while he dug a hole.Dh said to the rooster there's nothing to see here and shooe'd it away.He said as soon as he said there's nothing to see the 'victims' leg fell out of the newspaper. We have not culled them before at the eating stage

That's kinda funny especially the evidence falling out haha but at the same time awww sad lol poor chook lost its mate!

That's kinda funny especially the evidence falling out haha but at the same time awww sad lol poor chook lost its mate!

there are plenty more.At one point we had 28 cockerals but have sold most, down to about 5 show quality roosters and about 10 hens.Sil is taking a few and there's this years breeding still to occur

Did you name him? It always feels more cruel when they have a name lol

I agree. On my nan & pop's farm us kids were encouraged to name the calves but then at dinner my pop would say things like mmm i knew Izzy had a nice juicy rump on her...and they wonder why i don't eat red meat!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

I agree. On my nan & pop's farm us kids were encouraged to name the calves but then at dinner my pop would say things like mmm i knew Izzy had a nice juicy rump on her...and they wonder why i don't eat red meat!

Aww thats just mean! sad

I had a similar thing when we lived on our farm. I payed my uncle $5 not to take my favourite calf away to be slaughtered. I named her Helen & she was gorgeously dopey. Well he left her at the farm that time, but next time he came to collect the slaughtering cows, Helen went with them sad
Sign in to follow this topic