Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Present for 6th birthday?? Rss

It's DS1's birthday really soon, he'll be turning 6.
He lives with his dad in a different state. I have to be able to easily (and not too expensively!) post whatever I get him.

We can't think of ANYTHING! Every idea that we've had, he's either "already got it", or it's just too big and bulky (or I just can't find it at all).

DS1's dad grew up with toys as his carers, and whilst DS1 has his dad around, the toys thing has carried over. The kid has so much stuff. And I'm not a 'stuff' kind of person, so I don't know where to start.

So far we've got him: A couple of colouring books, a couple of those half ball things that you turn inside out and they pop up into the air (remember those? lol), some shorts, a shirt, a red silk tie (very cute hehe), and I got him a really nice blank paged book because I thought I could pop some photo's in there and encourage him to write and draw in it etc. And that's it!

It's taken us over 6 months to get that far. As soon as his birthday is over, we start thinking for xmas. It's hard! And it's made harder because I KNOW in the past that his dad has said "he's got one of those" to me about my ideas, and then I find out that the *beep* has gone out AFTER I suggested it, and got it himself!! So now I don't like to ask him anything.

Anyhoo, all ideas appreciated. Bear in mind that I don't really watch TV and have no idea about what's 'cool' anymore lol. And I live in a small country town so I don't have access to major stores.
If I was there I'd just make sure we had a special day, make him a cake, that sort of thing. Gifts of love, thought, quality, memories. That's my style. So I'm totally lost when it comes to materiel I'm afraid smile

It's DS1's birthday really soon, he'll be turning 6.
He lives with his dad in a different state. I have to be able to easily (and not too expensively!) post whatever I get him.

We can't think of ANYTHING! Every idea that we've had, he's either "already got it", or it's just too big and bulky (or I just can't find it at all).

DS1's dad grew up with toys as his carers, and whilst DS1 has his dad around, the toys thing has carried over. The kid has so much stuff. And I'm not a 'stuff' kind of person, so I don't know where to start.

So far we've got him: A couple of colouring books, a couple of those half ball things that you turn inside out and they pop up into the air (remember those? lol), some shorts, a shirt, a red silk tie (very cute hehe), and I got him a really nice blank paged book because I thought I could pop some photo's in there and encourage him to write and draw in it etc. And that's it!

It's taken us over 6 months to get that far. As soon as his birthday is over, we start thinking for xmas. It's hard! And it's made harder because I KNOW in the past that his dad has said "he's got one of those" to me about my ideas, and then I find out that the *beep* has gone out AFTER I suggested it, and got it himself!! So now I don't like to ask him anything.

Anyhoo, all ideas appreciated. Bear in mind that I don't really watch TV and have no idea about what's 'cool' anymore lol. And I live in a small country town so I don't have access to major stores.
If I was there I'd just make sure we had a special day, make him a cake, that sort of thing. Gifts of love, thought, quality, memories. That's my style. So I'm totally lost when it comes to materiel I'm afraid smile

Hmmm tough one.. What about books?? Could you ask him what he is in to on the phone? Perhaps a quilt cover set of what ever he is into atm? Gift card to the cinemas? Noooo idea actually!
i think what you have sounds good you could put some lollies/chocloate in there too

does he have a game console (ps3 x-box nintendo of some sort) you could get a game or DVD or some lego cause tht stuff is awesome lol
Last time I spoke to him he said he didn't know what he liked (I can believe that, he's bombarded with so much stuff), and then I could hear his dad whispering things to him. Then he said "I want a motorbike" and "I want money". Ummmm, no. lol.

Last time I spoke to him he said he didn't know what he liked (I can believe that, he's bombarded with so much stuff), and then I could hear his dad whispering things to him. Then he said "I want a motorbike" and "I want money". Ummmm, no. lol.

thats sucks then ay and typical guy saying those things goodluck finding something
Thanks everyone!
Supermummy I remember those beads things, they were so cool lol. That's a really good (and light) idea thank you smile
We decided that rollerblades were the go. Then went on the mission of a lifetime to find them! After exhausting all the big stores (target, kmart etc) we ended up at the proper skate centre, where they are bloody expensive lol. We can do it, it'll just be late unfortunately because pay day is still another almost 2 weeks away, of course. I might send his little stuff over that I've already got him so he has something on time.
Hey there
does he have an electronic games at his dads? maybe buy a game for that, a really nice photo in a photo frame of you and other children you might have so he can put in his room, if you got younger children how about a card made by them with your help put there hand prints in there,
Maybe get him an mecano set he will enjoy building it, maybe so puzzles for him to do
Sign in to follow this topic