Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Meals Rss

So, my question is how do you organise what you're going to have for dinner every night? do you have a meal plan? what do you do for back up meals if you don't feel like cooking or if you run out of time?
I don't have a meal plan as such, as in not written out like a lot of people would, but I walk around the supermarket and think "okay, this is Monday's dinner, this is Tuesday's dinner ..." and so on, so that it is planned in advance. Otherwise I would waste too much time on the night thinking about what to have! But I do it this way so that I can see what's on special, what looks good, etc.

If I don't have time to cook (pretty much every day that I work - two days per week), I always have fresh store-bought soup on hand, as well as cans of baked beans or spaghetti, and those will do for DD for her dinner. She has a main cooked meal at lunchtime anyway at daycare. On those nights I don't really bother eating anything myself! Maybe 2 minute noodles if I have them in the house, which isn't often.
Unless there is a recipe I want to try, I choose my meals for the week when I get to the supermarket. I look at the meat and buy what is cheap and then base my meals around that.
I always try to have basic ingredients like pasta and pasta sauce in the cupboards so that if I can't be bothered doing much that night I'll get out some mince and put the past and sauce with it (and some mixed veges). Quick, easy, and yummy.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

I sit down and write a list of different meals for the fortnight, then just buy what I need for them. We don't eat them on a set day, I just put the list on the fridge and decide in the morning what we are having that night so I can defrost what I need.

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

I work out what we are going to eat each week - sometimes I ask my kids what tea they would enjoy having, and if it sounds reasonable I will include it in my plan. I think of what we can afford, what I can be stuffed making, and usually I have most nights with meat and vegies in some way, like with spaghetti bolognaise, or salad and meat, or casseroles, or a stir fry, but two nights a week I will usually have an 'easy' meal - something to have on days where I'm not home until late cos of activities, or a fallback meal if I'm not feeling well - usually scrambled eggs, or some kind of soup, baked beans, that kind of thing. The kids have sandwiches for lunch so I buy bread, cheese, whatever spreads, cold meat. I also buy loads of fruit for snacks, and a couple of packets of choc chip biscuits per week. Oh, and a few boxes of cereal, like weetbix, corn flakes, and maybe one 'special' cereal. And that is my meal planning technique!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

I just wander around the supermarket and grab what I think would be good for the week lol.I have a few items I buy without fail as back up eg ravioli.This year I am going to go aldi more regularly

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I sit down and write a list of different meals for the fortnight, then just buy what I need for them. We don't eat them on a set day, I just put the list on the fridge and decide in the morning what we are having that night so I can defrost what I need.

this is basically what i do too and if we dont feel like eating that night i get a frozen meal out of the freezer for DS
I look in freezer and then do up a menu plan for the week, normally based around what meat I already have in there, I try to vary what meat we have chicken, fish, beef etc so we eat a variety each week. I am a bit flexible with what we have each night so can swap around. When I do the groceries I also look at the meat on markdown and buy up, put in the freezer to use for the next week. Got heaps on half price last week!

For fall back meals I try to have some things in the freezer like hamburgers ( I make a mix with mince, onion, egg, flour etc and cook them and freeze) bolognaise sauce. Also quiche is a good fall back (although not DH fav) or ommlette.

We have been sticking to a menu plan for the last two years since and save a fortune by planning ahead. For the first few weeks it can be hard but it is brilliant to have the stress and worry taken out of what to cook.

The day before shopping we look what meat we have in the freezer to work with and I plan meals with that first. That way we never have stuff lying around in the freeze for long.

I write my plan on a table in a word doc with the day of the week, lunch, dinner, baking for snacks and space to write what is on that week. That way we don't plan to cook a roast on a night we won't be home until late.

I write my shopping list based on the menu plan and work out how much meat I need to get. We tend to buy whole rumps for beef and bulk chicken breast and get them for no more than $7 a kilo. The butcher slices the rump and then DH or I cut them again into what we want (cubes, 200 gram steaks, strips etc) for the meals when we get home and freeze in bags. It takes a little while but saves time later on.

I mostly cook things that give us leftovers for lunch and write that up so I know to keep that aside. For example, if I make grilled chicken and salad then I will cook extra chicken and have chicken and avocado wraps the next day. I also structure the plan so everything gets used up. For instance, I put two salad meals back to back so all the lettuce gets used up.

We plan to have at least two recipes twice in the fortnight so I make double/triple the first time and freeze the rest for other meals. Those are the standby meals if I CBF. We buy all our fruit and vege from the markets and I look for bulk buys that I can make up a batch of something and freeze for later in either individual and meal portions. Vege soup pasta sauces and chow mein type stir fries freeze really well. I have also been buying boxes of mangoes lately and slicing and freezing containers for lunches.

Either DH or I bake easy healthy slices or muffins etc twice a week and freeze portions individually and store in a box in the freezer. We do it while cooking dinner usually and the recipes are fling in a bowl and stir so it is no effort at all. That way morning and afternoon teas are always taken care of with a bit of fruit thrown in.

Reading this back it sounds work but it really isn't once you get used to it. I work full time, don't get home until 6 most nights and I cook most of the meals. It is easy when you know exactly what you are having and that the ingredients are in your kitchen. We never waste anything and eat really well with good quality meat, fruit and vege.

We spend $400 maximum a fortnight on groceries- food, cleaning (we make most cleaning products outselves) and toiletries for 3 adults (DD1 is 13 and eats like an adult) and 1 child as well as 1 big dog and 2 cats. When I just used to buy what I wanted from the supermarket I would spend at least $600 a fortnight plus heaps of extra takeaway meals because I was too tired to bother thinking of what to eat. Another bonus is that we have all lost weight and are much healthier.

Sorry for the long read if you got this far but I reckon I am on to such a good thing I have to share it LOL!

this is basically what i do too and if we dont feel like eating that night i get a frozen meal out of the freezer for DS

I'm lucky because DD isn't old enough to need food but I do have frozen meals in the freezer for nights that we don't get home until late or something. We also use the frozen meals for lunches.

Also, I'm lucky because we don't have to buy meat at all... Other than the occasional chicken breast or lamb chops because my mum & step dad kill their own and keep us supplied in beef, chicken and sometimes pork. They also give us heaps of eggs and once the wet season is over, we will be setting the vege garden back up to grow our own stuff.

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

I just remembered a couple easy meal ideas.

I always have macaroni in the cupboard so I can make a quick macaroni cheese. I do it in the microwave and it only takes 20 mins.

You can also make a pretty nice meal out of those pasta packs they have. YOu know the ones with the sauce and stuff? I just boil up some mixed veges while I make the pasta and cook up a little bit of bacon. Mix together and your done in less than 20 mins. The big family ones will do a main meal for two adults.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

My plan is:
Walk to the freezer, have a sticky beak. Close the door.
Walk to the food cupboard, also have a stick beak.
Walk around the house muttering about not wanting to clean all day again.
Then walkback to the freezer and grab any sort of meat that looks appealing at that moment and once the meat is chosen then going by what i remeber from my sticky beak in the food cupboard make whatever with it. Vegetables or pasta or something.
(I don't do meal plans unles its a roast i get it out the previous night to defrost)

LMFAO. Sounds alot like myself really.
Sign in to follow this topic