Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

what would you do re school Rss

at our school the cut off date for moving to the next year is April, so if your 6th birthday is after the 1st April you will be in year 1, if your 6th birthday is before 1st April you will be in year 2

My daughters birthday is mid march so is a year 2 this year only just but all her friends are in yr 1 even though they are just a month or 2 younger (is a mixed class). plus my daughter is a little behind academically as well, still keeping up but just barley

would you hold your child back to stay with their friends where they would be the oldest in the class for the rest of their school life (alot of schools have their cut of dates in May/June) but maybe able to be better acedimecaly or move them up with their social age group where they can make new friends but may struggle with the work.

I am leaning towards holding back but hoping this wont backfire if we have to change schools/towns in the future

at our school the cut off date for moving to the next year is April, so if your 6th birthday is after the 1st April you will be in year 1, if your 6th birthday is before 1st April you will be in year 2

My daughters birthday is mid march so is a year 2 this year only just but all her friends are in yr 1 even though they are just a month or 2 younger (is a mixed class). plus my daughter is a little behind academically as well, still keeping up but just barley

would you hold your child back to stay with their friends where they would be the oldest in the class for the rest of their school life (alot of schools have their cut of dates in May/June) but maybe able to be better acedimecaly or move them up with their social age group where they can make new friends but may struggle with the work.

I am leaning towards holding back but hoping this wont backfire if we have to change schools/towns in the future

I've never heard of a system like this, where we are the cut off date for commencing school (kindergarten) is 30 April - so if your child turns 5 before then they can start school.

Progression to the next year is automatic (unless academically unable and were required to repeat). By law children dont have to start school until they are six so the system at your school seems a little odd.

My DD is the youngest in her class, most of the other kids are between 6 and 12 months older than her with one boy turning six the same month she turned 5 and the rest turning six throughout the year. My DD wont turn six till the end of next March and will be in year 1 next year.

If your DD is only turning six next March I'd be going with year 1, I think its better if they are older rather than younger. My DD has had her struggles with being the youngest in the class (she started kindy being 4, turning 5 at end March)... and by virtue of other kids birthdays they were all already 5 turning six. One kid turned 6 a month before my DD turned 5 so he's a year older than her.
I wouldn't hold her back just to be with her friends, but if it were for academic reasons I would do it. What does her current teacher suggest?
That seems a little odd to me? Maybe because it's late and I'm not reading this right but are you saying that your DD has not yet attended year 1? Why would they move her to year 2 if she has not been to year 1 yet?
Sign in to follow this topic