Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

can of worms Rss

I think they should definitely be required to be removed for security purposes in certain circumstances.
I also don't like the double standards they set. Perfect example, DP was at the RTA renewing his rego. While waiting he noticed a late 20's Aussie woman sitting down to have a licence photo. She had a banada on her head and was obviously undergoing cancer treatment. They told her that by law she must remove the bandana for the photo. Her eyes welled up with tears as she removed it, took it off though, to reveal her patchy hair and wrinkled skin. Her licence photo was then a picture of her crying, and looking obviously ill. She put her bandana back on and went over to the corner of the RTA to wait for the licence and was crying. The very next person to sit in the chair was a muslim lady, with burqa. She sat down, they took the pic and that was that.

Just doesn't seem fair to me. That is 100% discrimination, but against the Aussie girl, NOT the Muslim lady.

I think they should definitely be required to be removed for security purposes in certain circumstances.
I also don't like the double standards they set. Perfect example, DP was at the RTA renewing his rego. While waiting he noticed a late 20's Aussie woman sitting down to have a licence photo. She had a banada on her head and was obviously undergoing cancer treatment. They told her that by law she must remove the bandana for the photo. Her eyes welled up with tears as she removed it, took it off though, to reveal her patchy hair and wrinkled skin. Her licence photo was then a picture of her crying, and looking obviously ill. She put her bandana back on and went over to the corner of the RTA to wait for the licence and was crying. The very next person to sit in the chair was a muslim lady, with burqa. She sat down, they took the pic and that was that.

Just doesn't seem fair to me. That is 100% discrimination, but against the Aussie girl, NOT the Muslim lady.

gasp that is seriously disgusting, that poor girl sad

omg that is wrong on so many levels. actually it's disgusting and if i was that poor lady i would of wanted to make a complaint and make a scence but then again she was proberbly dealing with a deadly disease to bother.

but then i guess if they had asked the muslim lady to take of her scarf she would of played the rasism card, made a scene, demanded she be able to go to a seperate room and have a female take the photo and blah, blah, blah

when really it should of been a case of if the lady had to take the bandana off the muslim should of taken the scarf of and too bad too sad if you don't like it angry

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

I'll probably get flogged for this but I think some women wear it for attention, especially converted white Australian women. The Muslim friends I know choose not to wear the burqa but still respect their own religion.

I have no problem if women choose to wear something for religious purposes but religion doesn't overwrite the law and never will in Australia. My 2c!
I did have a few lovely things to say to this lovely lady, i think she was shocked i spoke back to her... i agree with the other posts that they are the guests in our country and should have to conform to our way of life.. lets face it who wouldn’t want the aussie way of life????? I have a gf who is going over to saudia Arabia in a few weeks and she has had to buy all long sleeve tops and pants to she cant enter... why cant they do the same thing here??
What really pisses me off is that the burqua etc are not originally a sign of religion and still aren’t they have just carried on so much that society now goes along with it. They were worn in countries like saudia Arabia, Egypt, lybia etc to protect the face and body from the sun and sand! They could wear a table cloth and paper bag on their head and they would still be covering it up. All the quran states is that the must cover their whole body except their hands and eyes. I believe the burqa is mostly worn by the Taliban (not saying that everyone who wears it is a terrorist) according to a paper i recently read.
I also cannot believe how sexist and derogative of women it is, i have been reading extracts from the quran (having a debate with some friends over it and i need to make sure im right LOL) and its pretty much men this men that woman have no rights blah blah blah, i also read a passage from another article written by a crazy man stating that

if I came across a rape crime – kidnap and violation of honour – I would discipline the man and order that the woman be arrested and jailed for life.' Why would you do this, Rafihi? He says because if she had not left the meat uncovered, the cat wouldn't have snatched it... If you take uncovered meat and put it on the street, on the pavement, in a garden, in a park or in the backyard, without a cover and the cats eat it, is it the fault of the cat or the uncovered meat? The uncovered meat is the problem."

Grrrrrr makes me furious!!!!! Ok ive had my rant LOL sorry everyone i know it doesn’t make sense

1st baby due start of sep

I didn't want to say anything re this topic but after reading all of your posts I think I'll add my 2 cents.

I'll start off my saying a little about myself. I'm a muslim woman and I have been living in NZ for a long time, went to school and all. I wear the head scarf - without the burqa - and have done so for almost 5 years. It was my own choice to do so and no one forced me to do it.

To explain things from a religious perspective, women in Islam should cover their whole body except their face, hands and feet (not their eyes and hands as michaela86 mentioned). So yes, the burqa is not part of the religion, it's more to do with culture. Personally, I see that there is no need for a burqa - especially when living in a non muslim country. Even for me, being a muslim, I feel it creates a barrier when dealing with other people. And as for security purposes, I didn't know that they allowed women to wear the burqa for their passport and licence photos?! That's a little much..

As for the head scarf, I don't see how this can be a security issue?!? After all, you can see who you're dealing with a give a detailed description of them too! So please don't mix the two up.

I won't start a big debate on here about Islam and what it means for women, but what michaela86 mentioned about Islam being only a "men's" religion is not true. Simply put, I was born and a muslim and I wouldn't have it any other way
I think if some people took the time to read about Islam they would find it is actually a beautiful, peaceful religion. It's the extremists that take it too far, just like the Catholic extremists standing outside an abortion clinic protesting, they don't represent me as a Catholic. I'm getting de ja vu like I've written this on Huggies before! lol

I didn't want to say anything re this topic but after reading all of your posts I think I'll add my 2 cents.

I'll start off my saying a little about myself. I'm a muslim woman and I have been living in NZ for a long time, went to school and all. I wear the head scarf - without the burqa - and have done so for almost 5 years. It was my own choice to do so and no one forced me to do it.

To explain things from a religious perspective, women in Islam should cover their whole body except their face, hands and feet (not their eyes and hands as michaela86 mentioned). So yes, the burqa is not part of the religion, it's more to do with culture. Personally, I see that there is no need for a burqa - especially when living in a non muslim country. Even for me, being a muslim, I feel it creates a barrier when dealing with other people. And as for security purposes, I didn't know that they allowed women to wear the burqa for their passport and licence photos?! That's a little much..

As for the head scarf, I don't see how this can be a security issue?!? After all, you can see who you're dealing with a give a detailed description of them too! So please don't mix the two up.

I won't start a big debate on here about Islam and what it means for women, but what michaela86 mentioned about Islam being only a "men's" religion is not true. Simply put, I was born and a muslim and I wouldn't have it any other way

I didnt say it was a mans religion i said after reading extracts i found alot of it was all about men and women doing things for men i understood it as women stay home make babies cook clean and keep their man happy. i am sorry i did mean hands and face not hands and eyes. also we werent talking about the head scarf so that isnt an issue and i have no problem with the head scarf at all my issue is with with burqa that is what this topic was about...
I also didnt want this to turn into a huge debate it was just something that caught my attention and i was sharing a story, i then read that aweful passage about rape and it being the womans fault and i made me quite cranky! If i offended anyone one i am sorry

1st baby due start of sep

I think if some people took the time to read about Islam they would find it is actually a beautiful, peaceful religion. It's the extremists that take it too far, just like the Catholic extremists standing outside an abortion clinic protesting, they don't represent me as a Catholic. I'm getting de ja vu like I've written this on Huggies before! lol

That's so true. The extremists have definitely ruined Islam's name in the past decade. Now everyone is scared of Muslims!

I didnt say it was a mans religion i said after reading extracts i found alot of it was all about men and women doing things for men i understood it as women stay home make babies cook clean and keep their man happy. i am sorry i did mean hands and face not hands and eyes. also we werent talking about the head scarf so that isnt an issue and i have no problem with the head scarf at all my issue is with with burqa that is what this topic was about...
I also didnt want this to turn into a huge debate it was just something that caught my attention and i was sharing a story, i then read that aweful passage about rape and it being the womans fault and i made me quite cranky! If i offended anyone one i am sorry

For a woman to keep her man happy, her husband in return has to keep her happy too and do as much if not more to maintain that. I'm not talking about sexual relations here. Women are free to work if they wish to, or stay at home with the kids, whatever suits them. If you see a muslim woman being forced to stay home and isn't allowed to work, then you know her husband is the problem not the religion smile

About the headscarf, it was mentioned in another post so I was just replying to that. I should have quoted the post, my bad!

It is about having respect for your hosts, and it is about the fact that if you don't like it here then no-one is stopping you going back to where you came from. Why not go back, if your customs and culture is so much better?

However, we're not at that point because these people are immigrants to us - they're not Australian born - so we need to nip it in the bud before we get to that point.

Don't get me started on Sharia law. It absolutely has no place here. I fail to see how a country can operate if it were to have two different (incompatible) sets of laws applicable to the population.

OMG - are you serious??

Go back to where you came from? A lot of them are Australian born. Dont be so ignorant.

Most of the people here know that i am NOT a burqa lover, but sheesh - they arent all immigrants, come here on a leaky boat.

I agree on the Sharia Law - no place here, we have Australian Laws.
i cant believe we are still talking about this LOL LOL so old now i would have thought hahahaha...but anyway i would just like to say that being a muslim as most of you know from the many debates on this exact same issue that i can understand the confusion with this issue when the opinions of muslims themselves is so different..my example of this is the opinion of my sister (in islam) sorry i forgot your name and my own knowledge...so how can muslims themselves expect non muslims to accept their beliefs and practices when they themselves are too busy disputing the relevance of such things in todays "modern world" LOL (said sarcastically)...the burqa or the niqaab is a beautiful part of islam and i absolutly love that we in this country have the freedom to wear it and i would hate to see that choice taken away from me and my girlfriends...GO NINJAS!

Sign in to follow this topic