Huggies Forum

Child Care? Lock Rss

Just wondering from what age you think it would be ok to put your child into child care and do you think it is bad for a baby to be in child care 5 days per week.
If they are young do you think it is bad for your baby in general.
I'm debating whether or not to return to work and am really worried about handing my baby over to a complete stranger in a child care centre.
I presume these feelings are totally normal but was just after other mums thoughts on child care.
Also does anyone know if any studies have been done on the affects child care can have on a child compared to a child purely raised at home.
Sorry if I sound like an idiot but it is really freaking me out I just don't think I can bare the thought of being away from my girl.

When DS was 12mo I considered returning to work 2-3 days per week and I looked in to a couple of centres. After visiting a few, I encountered a 2-3yo girl unattended with her arm and head down a toilet, way too many snotty noses and way more kids to staff ratio than I'm sure is allowed.

As it happened, I was vomiting the night before and day of my job interview, so I ended up not going ahead with it all. But tbh, I couldnt have left my son in any of the places I looked at.

DH is now 18mo and goes to creche for up to an hour up to 3 times a week while I go to the gym, but since starting about 5 weeks ago, he has already been constantly ill with tonsilitis and a bad head cold. Perhaps it's a coincidence but I can say he wont be going in to long day care any time soon.

If I were you, I would go check out some day care centres that you may consider. And it is probably better for both of you to start with part time and work your way up to full time, if that's your end goal.
Before i had my daughter i said to my sister id go back to work when she was 6 weeks old and put her in child care. I couldnt do it. I know how you feel about strangers looking after your child/children. But now im thinking of putting my daughter now 13 and a half months into child care only because she loves other kids.

But if it came down to needing the money i would. and the age wouldnt bother me either. Cos as they say, money makes the world go round.

Good luck with your decision, i know it'll be a tough one!!
Unfortunately this is a topic that can become quite heated. The honest truth is that it is really what suits you and your family to what is best. And the same with studies. There are studies that say that it is good and studies that say it is bad. My personal belief is that there should be one primary care provider for the first 12 months. In saying that I went back to work when DS was 10 months and I worked 3 days a week. The best advice I can give you is to research the local care centers. The first centre my DS went to was wonderful. The carers were wonderful and the center warm and welcoming. This made a huge difference. I would probably advise against 5 days initially because trying to juggle children/work/home is hard. Good luck with your decision.

Just wondering from what age you think it would be ok to put your child into child care and do you think it is bad for a baby to be in child care 5 days per week.
If they are young do you think it is bad for your baby in general.
I'm debating whether or not to return to work and am really worried about handing my baby over to a complete stranger in a child care centre.
I presume these feelings are totally normal but was just after other mums thoughts on child care.
Also does anyone know if any studies have been done on the affects child care can have on a child compared to a child purely raised at home.
Sorry if I sound like an idiot but it is really freaking me out I just don't think I can bare the thought of being away from my girl.

I think that theres good centers and bad but unfortunatly the bad outway the good. You just have to search around. I used to see loads of kids in 5 days a week....Im not a big fan of it, but unfortunatly, for some people they simply have too. I think the guilt will always be there, whether its 5 days or 1...have you thought about family day care. Depending on your state they are only allowed 4 to 5 kids max and its much more like a home setting. Good luch with your decision...its a touhgh one.
DD has been in family daycare 2 days a week since she was 12 months old.

We bought a house when I was pregnant so it was necessary for me to return to work. I did, however, think it would be beneficial to DD's development- especially social skills.

With regard to studies done comparing children in care and children not- I don't think they're relevant. Every child is different and will respond to care differently.

DD LOVES her carer and has made little friendships with the 3 other children in care on her days. She talks about them at home and runs up to the door when we arrive in the mornings with a big smile and hug for the carer and high 5's for the kids so obviously being in care suits her.

I also know of some children who scream every time they pull up in the daycare centre carpark, cling to the parents and seem distressed throughout the day- in this case I don't believe care is beneficial to the child at all.

I felt family caycare was the middle ground between home care and daycare centre and I absolutely adore and trust our carer, we have become good friends since DD has been with her.

Good luck with your decision. smile
both mine went to cc when they were 6 months, 2 days a week. no ill effects at all. it does depend on the centre.
To me at the end of the day a child should be with their parents but that is not always how it wokrs out and we don't live in a perfect world. I am not comfortable having my children in daycare under the age of around 3.5. I've seen more than 10 centres in our area and none of them were up to my standards, especially if I'm paying them a lot of money.

If I really had to put my children in care at a very young age I would look into family day care, centres just seem like money farms to me. Dh and I sacrificed a lot to not have them in care and now that they're getting older I love that I was able to stay at home with them during their baby and toddler days. each to their own, whatever works for your family might not work for others.
Thanks so much everyone for your replies smile
It is such a hard decision but being able to read all your experiences has definately helped.
It sounds like it is definately worth me checking out a few centres in my area and going from there.

I sent dd at 5 months old... just for 3 hours, 1 day a week. In that time I just wanted her to get to know the carers so that she would be prepared when I went back to work. In that 3 hours I would either study or go into town and get the shopping and extra jobs done. It worked out really well - I went to work when she was 2 and by that time she was loving cc!

DD has been going 1 day a week for the last 10 weeks. She is 3 and a half. I only decided to send her as we moved towns and i don't like any of the 2 playgroups. I don't have a license either so going to my old playgroups isn't an option. DD is very social and she has so mush fun. I just checked out the only childcare center we have and it happens to be directly across the road. I actually know most of the workers and helped mil get a job as the cleaner there. I was gonna send DS who is one but he has been sick with ear infections for months plus money wise i can't now. DD also attends occasion care at the kindy once a fortnight.
If you don't have to get back to work then honestly just don't. I don't think there would be too many regrets for staying home with you child longer smile
I had ds2 in cc from around 13mths, he is now 5.5 and I'm still helping him repair the emotional damage I inflicted by pushing him away from me. Some kids need to be in cc due to parents working, but generally, kids don't need childcare just for cc sake yk?
Sign in to follow this topic