Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Double dosing Panadol... Rss

Had my 4 year old daughter at the hospital after hours clinic tonight sad We already did the 1am trip to the hospital on Friday morning and then had her at our gp at midday on Friday.

She had an ear canal infection which has since become a middle ear infection despite being on antibiotics and ear drops...

Anyway, her temp would not drop this evening even after doing all the usual things plus a dose of Panadol and Nurofen, just wouldn't go below 39.5 and I became very concerned...

The doctor at the after hours clinic is very old, he is very thorough and we have seen him a few times in the past and always been happy. He told me tonight that the dosage on the bottle of panadol is the minimum dosage needed to assist with pain relief and to reduce temperatures. He went on to tell me that it was okay to give her 50% more than the bottle dosage, and when in severe pain to give her a double dosage. Of course in this situation you would not give any Nurofen and simply stick to administering Panadol only AND you only give the increased dosage when really needed.

I know that you can overlap doses of Panadol and Nurofen and also that in extreme cases you can give a dose of Nurofen 4 hours after the initial dose... but had never heard of giving a half a dose extra or double dose of Panadol.

So, got home and mentioned it to mum (she was looking after our 2.5yr old son) and she said that it was what was recommended when I we were little. Apparently she told me to up the dose of Panadol when my daughter was young and I said I had never been told it was okay, so she thought things must have changed... lol... 3 years later I hear it from a doctor with my owns ears... lol

I am going to talk to our regular gp about it tomorrow to see his opinion. My poor daughter, this will be her 4th medical visit in 4 days.

So, after that long winded post, have you ever been advised to increase the dosage of Panadol?

Is OVER rude people

I've never heard of double dosing panadol, I'd probably be too scared to try it.

Your poor DD with her ear infections. Have you tried painstop, we found out about during a middle of the night hospital trip for DS with ear infections. It's great gets their temp down quick when panadol can't and give strong pain relief, might be worth a try smile
Firstly, sorry to hear your little one is unwell. I hope she is better soon.

I have been told numerous times by doctors and nurses in the Emergency Department that it is ok to give a double dose initially when the temp is really high like that.

I've done it and it works.

But... if you don't feel safe doing it then don't.
It is true that the level on the bottles is like a 'safety level' and it is safe to give a bit more however im not exactly sure on how much extra. If i were you i would ring the poisions information hotline, give them the details of your daughter ie height and weight and also the exact type of panadol your using and they will be able to give you the exact amount a child of your age height and weight can have there number is 131126. My GP got me to ring them when my DD was sick and needed extra panadol.
Yup i have been told that by my DS's pead doc. She says that NZ gives the lowest amount than anywhere in the world. America gives 3 times what we are told to give. If my DS is in real bad pain i give him a double dose.
Yep i have been told about the double dose of panadol thing. And i must admit when my daughter has been in pain with her cronic ear infections i have done it and it has worked, but not something i think i would do often although i do tend to give 1/2ml extra when giving her just panadol an no neurophen, just seems to work that bit better!
We have also been told to double dose paracetamol if absolutely necessary. We don't use nurofen or anything else, just paracetamol. Thankfully, we haven't had to do it very often, but yes, it is ok.

Had my 4 year old daughter at the hospital after hours clinic tonight sad We already did the 1am trip to the hospital on Friday morning and then had her at our gp at midday on Friday.

She had an ear canal infection which has since become a middle ear infection despite being on antibiotics and ear drops...

Anyway, her temp would not drop this evening even after doing all the usual things plus a dose of Panadol and Nurofen, just wouldn't go below 39.5 and I became very concerned...

The doctor at the after hours clinic is very old, he is very thorough and we have seen him a few times in the past and always been happy. He told me tonight that the dosage on the bottle of panadol is the minimum dosage needed to assist with pain relief and to reduce temperatures. He went on to tell me that it was okay to give her 50% more than the bottle dosage, and when in severe pain to give her a double dosage. Of course in this situation you would not give any Nurofen and simply stick to administering Panadol only AND you only give the increased dosage when really needed.

I know that you can overlap doses of Panadol and Nurofen and also that in extreme cases you can give a dose of Nurofen 4 hours after the initial dose... but had never heard of giving a half a dose extra or double dose of Panadol.

So, got home and mentioned it to mum (she was looking after our 2.5yr old son) and she said that it was what was recommended when I we were little. Apparently she told me to up the dose of Panadol when my daughter was young and I said I had never been told it was okay, so she thought things must have changed... lol... 3 years later I hear it from a doctor with my owns ears... lol

I am going to talk to our regular gp about it tomorrow to see his opinion. My poor daughter, this will be her 4th medical visit in 4 days.

So, after that long winded post, have you ever been advised to increase the dosage of Panadol?

I havent heard of this but from what I'm reading here of others experiences its ok. I do know that panadol wont bring the temp back to normal anyway, it does reduce by maybe 1 degree but it wont take a 39.5 temp back to 37.5. Her little body is fighting the infection, after more time on the antibiotics it should start getting to a normal temp again. Possibly she needs a stronger antibiotic.
Even if you look on the dosing advice on the side of he pack, the weights and ages generally dont match. They are usually for kids on the smaller side.
I go by the weight guide on the bottle.

I've never heard of doubling the dose - but have heard that 50% more is ok.

At the hossie if a child is really sick - we give the panadol 4 hourly, and they have panadol and nurofen overlapping. I tend to think the panadol and nurofen work better as they work through different pathways to each other and are more effective for pain.

Are you thinking about giving the double dose for pain or to reduce a temp?? If it's for pain you'd be better off doing panadol and nurofen together, or get some painstop as that has codeine in it. Or...painstop and nurofen together would work a treat - that's 3 different drugs that all work on different pathways, so you're hitting it from all sides so to speak.

Are you thinking about giving the double dose for pain or to reduce a temp?? If it's for pain you'd be better off doing panadol and nurofen together, or get some painstop as that has codeine in it. Or...painstop and nurofen together would work a treat - that's 3 different drugs that all work on different pathways, so you're hitting it from all sides so to speak.

Can you use painstop and nurofen together?
Painstop and nurofen is pretty similar to using panadol and nurofen... the only difference is that painstop adds a small dose of codeine- the rest of whats in it is paracetamol.

I would give both - but only if it was obvious that the painstop wasn't covering the pain enough. Painstop is pretty good stuff and will work better than plain panadol anyway - so if you start there and it works then it's not necessary to give the nurofen. But if it didn't cover then nurofen would be ok.

And that's for pain only.... if a child had a temp that could not be brought down to a safe level with panadol and nurofen then they should be going to the hospital anyway. And.... painstop is not used to bring down temps. The extra codeine in it is for pain only so using it for temperatures is not going to do anything more than normal panadol.

edit to add: here's a recent thread on that topic <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span> huggies

Sign in to follow this topic