Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

A really stupid question Rss

but here goes. I have never used fabric softener but I have gone all green and now make my own laundry powder. It works great but I could use my towels as surfboards. I want to use vinegar as a softener but I have no idea how to put it in the wash. I see there is a little well in the top of the washing machine that says softener. If I put the vinegar in there will it open up and put the vinegar into the wash during the rinse cyle or do I need to pour it in when it starts to rinse? I have no chance of remembering to do that!
Highly technical question but hopefully someone can help me huh
grin you can just put it in the middle bit and the machine will do the rest.
I literally just chuck it in when I put in the washing powder. Works a treat too.
Thanks ladies. I'm now well on my way to becoming a domestic godess tongue
Vinegar and bicarb are two of the best inventions ever.
I use vinegar for most of my cleaning but the smell always makes me crave hot chips.

Yup, put it in the softener hole and the machine will add it to the wash at the right time. Are you using Shannon Lush's washing powder recipe? I listen to her on ABC radio every week, I love her!! I've started using bicarb/vinegar as my washing detergent on her advice and it's great although my washing smells a bit like honeycomb LOL!!!

I use this one and it lasts for about 4 months as you only use a tablespoon for a load.

4 bars of sunlight soap grated
2 cups of washing soda
1 cup of borax
1 cup cheap nappy soaker- (optional or you can use bi card soda)
a splash of essential oil ( I like tea tree or lavender)

I won't go back to commercial one as it is so much cheaper, better smell and it gets things really clean. I think you need to use softener though.
My son bought me 2 plastic balls that go in the wash instead of any fabric softner. They seem to work really well. He bought them at a farmers market in Daylesford, but have seen them in shops. I haven't tried the vinegar.

My son bought me 2 plastic balls that go in the wash instead of any fabric softner. They seem to work really well. He bought them at a farmers market in Daylesford, but have seen them in shops. I haven't tried the vinegar.

Oh they sound interesting. I will have to keep an eye out for them.

Oh they sound interesting. I will have to keep an eye out for them.

u keep an eye out for them balls now u here lol

Just wondering would it be ok to wash cloth nappies with? as you have to be really carefull what there washed in.Also what do you store it in once made?

I use this one and it lasts for about 4 months as you only use a tablespoon for a load.

4 bars of sunlight soap grated
2 cups of washing soda
1 cup of borax
1 cup cheap nappy soaker- (optional or you can use bi card soda)
a splash of essential oil ( I like tea tree or lavender)

I won't go back to commercial one as it is so much cheaper, better smell and it gets things really clean. I think you need to use softener though.

jade82

Just wondering would it be ok to wash cloth nappies with? as you have to be really carefull what there washed in.Also what do you store it in once made?

I'm not sure but I imagine it would be OK as it pretty environmentally friendly and mild. I store it in old icecream containers or those cheap buckets with lids you can get from the cheap shops.
Sign in to follow this topic