Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Curtsey bus can no longer take children under 8

Curtsey bus can no longer take children under 8 Rss

Our local sports club is a great family environment to have dinner and take the kiddies over on a Saturday/Sunday arvo for the raffles and a couple of beers for the parents while the kids have a juice and some hot chips!

We dont usually both drink when we go but there have been on occasions i have had a glass or 2 of wine and dont feel comfortable drive and have caught they curtsey bus home, with our child/s.

Now they have advised no more children will be allowed on teh bus under 8 years of age!

I know its out of there hands supposedly but i cant help but think its going to far!!! Now there are irresponsible adults out there that will now drive!!! Not me, as i said we really both drink at the same time while we have the kids. But i just know people will! This was such a great family service!!!

Not to mention my son is 5 this week and over the weight cut off!! So i think 8 is a tad old??

Whats your opinions???

Our local sports club is a great family environment to have dinner and take the kiddies over on a Saturday/Sunday arvo for the raffles and a couple of beers for the parents while the kids have a juice and some hot chips!

We dont usually both drink when we go but there have been on occasions i have had a glass or 2 of wine and dont feel comfortable drive and have caught they curtsey bus home, with our child/s.

Now they have advised no more children will be allowed on teh bus under 8 years of age!

I know its out of there hands supposedly but i cant help but think its going to far!!! Now there are irresponsible adults out there that will now drive!!! Not me, as i said we really both drink at the same time while we have the kids. But i just know people will! This was such a great family service!!!

Not to mention my son is 5 this week and over the weight cut off!! So i think 8 is a tad old??

Whats your opinions???

Must be the size of the bus because in regular buses kids dont have restraints or seatbelts even.

I think the new child seat laws apply till they are 7 (in a booster with an adult belt by then) so maybe that's why they are saying 8 years is the age.
I can see why the do it, but there has to be a way around it, after all you dont need baby seats in a taxi.

I agree with you totally, there will now be parents who will drive and not only put there family in danger, but also everyone else on the road.
I have to agree with the sports club. They have to obey the laws too... What if they had an accident, and a child was injured??? We can't be responsible for others getting behind the wheel, only for ourselves sadly.

Oh, and to the PP you do have to have a babyseat in a taxi (in NSW anyway).

Oh, and to the PP you do have to have a babyseat in a taxi (in NSW anyway).

Don't need a baby seat in a cab in Tassie, I had to come home from the hospital 3 weeks ago with my 2 year old, and they said that it was ok for the child to be on your lap in the backseat (up to 18mths i think) and after that apparently every cab down here has a booster built in (i think that little pull down thing in the middle) and in a normal seatbelt over 18mths. As it was 3am, i just kept my daughter on my lap in my seatbelt. When my daughter was newborn I used to have her in my bjorn sling in the back with me. Sometimes i wonder if it would be safer to jam her in that even now! At least she wouldn't be flying out of my arms or in an adult seatbelt.

I think its a rediculous rule, its just a car afterall, but its not like you can lug a carseat around everywhere!

What about normal council run buses? they have no seatbelts, and you dont need a carseat for one of those, how is it different with courtesy buses? size perhaps?

we have one of those smaller cushion type booster seats without a back for my 6 year old when he goes in grandparents/auntys car, would they let you on the bus if you took your own booster seat? The small type would just fit on the floor under your chair in the club.
Like i said doesnt really effect us we dont use the bus often infact my youngest is 18 months and we have used it once in that time without he kids LOL... But i was just saying i think its a bit silly.

My prep boy is at the weight range, but not age wise. What are they going to do for school kids who ctach a school bus??

I understand tehy are trying to save lives ect.... But to me i think they take things a tad to far.

Infact i have a very good mate who is a coppa, he also thinks its to old to have a child in a seat. In same cases its made things worse!!

but anyway....
Sign in to follow this topic