Huggies Forum

Another food shopping question Rss

We have 2 adults and 2 children in our family. To provide healthy lunches, wraps, rolls, slices etc, plus healthy snacks for the whole family and dinners i have no idea how i can spend a resonable amount.

To the people whose shopping budget is low, do you eat these types of foods and if so, how the hell do you do it lol?

We have 2 adults and 2 children in our family. To provide healthy lunches, wraps, rolls, slices etc, plus healthy snacks for the whole family and dinners i have no idea how i can spend a resonable amount.

To the people whose shopping budget is low, do you eat these types of foods and if so, how the hell do you do it lol?

Me either....I'm a newly single mum and can't work out how I am going to feed my kids healthy food on a budget. I'm looking forward to hearing peoples ideas.

Hi! We have two adults, four children, two cats and two dogs, and we are on one income that is not considered low, but it when you have to spread it that many ways! We eat very healthily, I buy a lot of fruit, I tend to have a heap of frozen vegies on hand from my chrisco hamper, or that I have bought and not used for one reason or other, which we suppliment the fresh vegies we buy and grow with. I make mini pizzas with cheap pizza bases, pastas, casseroles, we have barbecued sausages and salad, vegie pie, spaghetti bolognaise, and various other things, depending on the week. We don't eat a lot of meat, fish once a week, chicken once, red meat twice maybe, it just depends on the week, and how much we have to cut our groceries down by. A couple of times a week I have what I consider "easy meals", such as baked beans on toast, or omelettes. I buy cheap canned tomatoes for spaghetti, or cheap jar sauces, depending. Usually for breakfasts we have weetbix and canned fruit - luckily we live near SPC Ardmona factory sales, so we get them from there quite cheaply. We also have muesli, and one other box of cereal which the kids get to choose. We go through a lot of milk, so use the cheaper milk, and the same with bread. I buy bigger tubs of yoghurt and portion them out into plastic containers for lunch boxes, same with the home brand tiny teddies we buy, and sultanas. It usually costs us around $200-$250 per week to feed all of us healthily, which I think is about as cheap as I can possibly get it to be!

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

Only a few suggestions here. Buy as much as you can in bulk (ie. buy the largest pack of meat you can and split it before freezing). You can actually save quick a bit just doing this.
The only other thing I really do to keep the shopping budget low is to plan my dinner meals around what is in the specials catalogue from the supermarket and when non-perishable items are on special stock up. This can make one shop slightly more expensive but saves a lot of money of time.

Hi there, I also have 2 adults and 2 children to feed. Do you have markets near you? At our local markets we can save heaps on buying fresh fruit and veges. At the moment potatoes are $0.29c a kilo (never seen them this low before)same as carrots. Apples, grapes, bananas etc are so much cheaper than buying from the supermarket. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately i live no where near any markets sad

I do a meal plan each week i manage to get cheap shopping then during the week i run out of all the fresh produce which makes me go over our food budget. Ours is $200 and i can use that, but not buying all the healthy produce that i would like.

We dont have a really low food budget compared to most others I've seen on here, I simply cant do all the fruit and veg and meat etc cheaper than I'm doing.

I have cut back by not buying so many prepackaged snacks for the kids and am starting to make my own muffins and things and also buying yoghurt in the big tubs Vs those little sack things and smaller tubs, buying homebrand stuff where I can. Also meal planning saves alot of money, I find by doing a weekly meal plan and then shopping for just those items you spend less.

I do a meal plan each week i manage to get cheap shopping then during the week i run out of all the fresh produce which makes me go over our food budget. Ours is $200 and i can use that, but not buying all the healthy produce that i would like.

Are you able to grow any fresh veges? Or do you know anyone else who would be willing to help with this?

Having a vege garden is such a great saver. And an added bonus of the veges tasting better then bought ones!
I feel sick about supermarking shopping. at the moment what i am doing as i am on leave and the supermarket is 3 blocks away... there is only one in our town. I go every day and take only like $10 or $15 dollars to get food for tea and the next day lunches lol

its amazing what you can actually get if you are not strolling around throwing stuff into the trolley..... and you have time to cook the food. lol

i also make enough left over for lunches .... like zuchini slice etc and home mad sausage rolls... i put veg in them any kind put them through the blender and the kids have no idea

I feel sick about supermarking shopping. at the moment what i am doing as i am on leave and the supermarket is 3 blocks away... there is only one in our town. I go every day and take only like $10 or $15 dollars to get food for tea and the next day lunches lol

its amazing what you can actually get if you are not strolling around throwing stuff into the trolley..... and you have time to cook the food. lol

i also make enough left over for lunches .... like zuchini slice etc and home mad sausage rolls... i put veg in them any kind put them through the blender and the kids have no idea

Yep, DH always takes leftovers from the night before to work. He might buy his lunch from the shops about twice a year LOL! This is usually because I make enough as if I am serving 4 adults, instead of 2 adults and one toddler.

I shop at the farmers markets for all my fresh fruit and veges and eggs. It costs more upfront, but quality is better and lasts longer so you arent throwing food away and wasting money.
Also, with things like stirfry meat, I buy round or rump steak when on special (buy about 2 kgs at a time) and then slice it myself when I get home. This saves about $4 a kilo, even more depending on the special. Pre-cut stirfry meat is always more expensive because it is precut and it takes me all of 20 mintues when I get home to cut it up and portion it out myself!

Always buy things like corn thins, rice crackers on special and in bulk as they last ages in the pantry. No-name brand canned, diced tomatoes form the base of my spag bol, and these are cheaper than the branded ones, for the exact same product.

And, buy extra bread when grocery shopping and put in the freezer to save you just ducking down the shops for bread. Those sort of shopping expeditions always cost extra cause you never just buy what you intended to get, there is always something that catches your eye. Stay out of temptations way!

His Royal Highness, Prince William

Two adults and 3 children in my family here.

We buy meat in bulk usually 2 months worth for roughly $130-$140, that's for 2 months though. People are so out of proportion these days. Men are supposed to eat roughly 125g, woman 85-100g and children i do roughly 50g meat each. you add that up and that's maybe 300-400g. So many meals recommend you use like 1kg but that's ridiculous in my opinion. We eat meat every night but luckily my husband and sons love vegies just as much so i bulk up meals with lots of them.

Fruit I buy both fresh and tinned so that the kids can have a variety all year around.

Breakfast in our household is either toast or oats. I used to see a PT and she told me Homebrand oats are one of the best to eat. They are 99c a bag and last atleast a week. Cheap as.

I DO NOT buy treats. we don't buy biscuits/fruit bars or anything like that. I do however make my own muffins and anzac biscuits.

We used to eat take out alot but we have gone off it and maybe get it once a month if that. I now make homemade pizzas and the boys love them. You can buy packs of 10 small pizza bases for about $5 from woolies. then i use bbq sauce and favoured toppings.

I make lasagne as well. they are huge and serve maybe 10 people obviously served with salad so my kids always have leftovers the next day or my hubby takes some to work.

Markets are good for bulk. If bread is discounted I will buy it all and then freeze it and sometimes I don't have to buy bread for a month. chicken drumsticks are great. they are cheap and i have so many marinate recipes.

I also make alot of stir fries as they are great with bulking up on vegies as well and make my own sauces for that as well. I also make side pastas with white sauce tomato and bacon and that can side so many dinners and can do atleast 8 people as well.

I only spend $300-$400 a month literally. If you would like anymore ideas i would be happy to help

To the OP - I don't know where a bouts you live but don't feel bad if you can't shop like others can. Location is everything.

Where I am there is no markets, 1 Coles and 1 woolies. Prices are high, produce quality is low. Everything is in high demand. 2 supermarkets for 25000 people plus communities. There is 1 fruit and veg shop which is expensive but quality is better than the supermarkets.

I have found frozen veg and tin fruit a good alterative when the quality is down on the fresh stuff. Also check prices at the deli for chicken products it's often cheaper than the meat section
Sign in to follow this topic