Huggies Forum

Feel like i am not doing enough Rss

ok, just been catching up with some friends on facebook, and am feeling like a really bad mother now - i have heard how since the 1st december these mums have spent hours doing xmas crafts with their children, making and sending homemade xmas cards etc
- sad and now feeling really down on myself
do you think my kids are missing out because i am not doing these things?
- with work, running the house etc - i don't have time - or is that just an excuse and i should be making time?
feeling really down on myself and that my kids are missing out - of course i still spend time with them - like today we all did the shopping and housework
am i a bad mum?

ok, just been catching up with some friends on facebook, and am feeling like a really bad mother now - i have heard how since the 1st december these mums have spent hours doing xmas crafts with their children, making and sending homemade xmas cards etc
- with work, running the house etc - i don't have time - or is that just an excuse and i should be making time?
feeling really down on myself and that my kids are missing out - of course i still spend time with them - like today we all did the shopping and housework
am i a bad mum?

Rather than compare yourself, I think it would be more helpful if you looked at your achievements! Your children are happy, fed, clothed, have toys to play with, spend time with you....smile, as a mother you do so much already!
No I'll join you tongue
I am the most un crafty person imaginable... I used to get the crafts out a lot with them but haven't coped well lately and the mess stresses me so they haven't been doing much apart from playdough and the usuals.... I have never made a card in my life let alone with the kids tongue I am not really into all that, we do make a tree decoration every year.... but with my limited skills its usually cardboard stars with glitter or reindeer out of their handprints!!!

am i a bad mum?

It is only the 3rd of December!!! Give yourself a break smile I haven't done anything yet with my DD. I think decorating the tree (when we actually get one laugh ) and doing some baking is about the extent I'm going to go to... I totally know what you mean, with working and housework etc. I barely get to see my daughter during the week and she is usually absolutely shattered from being at daycare all day so all she wants is cuddles and stories.
Maybe plan to do something special, like bake Christmas biscuits and decorate them and make a big deal of it. That way they'll get to do something Christmassy and crafty but it is only one thing to have to fit in. You could even buy some biscuits from the supermarket and decorate them!! We had some Christmas star biscuits at work today that were nice smile
I did the biscuit thing last year, just ginger bread, made red and green icing and let the kids go to town with them, sprinkles and little silver caushous (however you spell that... the little ball things) We did it Xmas eve to leave out for santa, also made reindeer food Xmas eve as well
No! You are not a bad mum. We have made some red and green cupcakes and some gingerbread biscuits but that's only because we've got the inlaws coming over on Sunday to help decorate the tree and I figured I needed something Christmas-y to put out, if it wasn't for that we wouldn't have done anything (and reading your post I didn't even think of that until I realised I still need to clean up the mess we made making them lol). I'm not a crafty person so don't really do much with DD - I think the most crafty thing I do with DD is play with playdough and cooking smile.

You're spending time with your kids, I don't think it really matters what you're doing and I wouldn't go out of your way to do something Christmas-y just because its December.

Leisa.
Definitely not a bad mum, crikey I'm a SAHM and buggered if I'll be spending hours doing homemade cards! My two will get to make a card at playgroup next week and do some christmas craft - that's me off the hook smile

Each to their own, some people are crafty and have the time, some are not or dont have the time - doesnt make you a bad mummy.
thank you all so much for your responses! (wow you have brought back a smile for me!)
- to be honest i had a little cry before (the kids are in bed)
but feel much better now
thank you all again

thank you all so much for your responses! (wow you have brought back a smile for me!)
- to be honest i had a little cry before (the kids are in bed)
but feel much better now
thank you all again

Dont be so hard on your self smile I never did crafty stuff with my mum and not once did I ever think she was a bad mum. I think sometimes we over analise things (well I do anyway lol)

Like a pp said try not to compare your self to other mummies smile

You are far from a bad Mum because you haven't done any Christmas craft with your kids. I'll put my hand up and say I don't do craft with my kids ever. Sometimes we might do painting or play dough but thats it. My kids get much more enjoyment out of helping me cook, or in the garden or cleaning the windows on a sunny day. Personally I think craft is overrated (mind you thats because I'm the most uncrafty person imaginable).

I know how you feel though. I had a tough moment a few weeks ago after sending my DS to school without his homework finished after feeding the 4 kids scrambled eggs for dinner the night before. I cried and cried feeling like I was failing them. A good friend reminded me to look at all of the things I do for them rather than the odd thing I don't. I think you should do the same.

Sign in to follow this topic