Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Healthy dinner ideas/variations needed

Healthy dinner ideas/variations needed Rss

I want to get quite strict with my dinners. We don't eat unhealthy but I want to make my main meal as low in fat and carbs as possible.
I'm not one that can eat meat and steamed veg every night, it bores me lol. I will mix it up with salad but I want some ideas for other meal ideas and flavours that I could add to vegetables for taste variations. Also some healthy salad recipes if possible.
Thanks
I use www.taste.com.au when I am looking for inspiration. I especially like the zucchini slice recipe which is basically a crustless quiche and a very adaptable recipe. I add carrot or tomato or tuna instead of bacon or no meat etc. It's great finger food too.

I want to get quite strict with my dinners. We don't eat unhealthy but I want to make my main meal as low in fat and carbs as possible.
I'm not one that can eat meat and steamed veg every night, it bores me lol. I will mix it up with salad but I want some ideas for other meal ideas and flavours that I could add to vegetables for taste variations. Also some healthy salad recipes if possible.
Thanks

Fish if you like it is a good option, with some grilled asparagus with a herb sauce or baked in a foil parcel with some herbs/veg/spices etc.

Zucchini boats is a staple for me, halve and scoop out the middle of the zucchini and fill with a cooked savoury mince mix, top with a little grated cheese and bake in the oven until the zucchini is soft and cooked (about 20 min depending on size of zucchinis).

Instead of having a meal with a bed of rice, try some quinoa or grated, cooked cauliflower instead. Shredded cooked cabbage can also be used for some dishes in place of pasta.

Stuffed tomatoes is another one, you can stuff them with some protein like ham/lean bacon mixed with some cooked onion, mushrooms, cottage cheese etc. Then just grill or bake until the tomato softens a little.

Some recipes I have...

Beef with Broccoli
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients
500g of beef, cut into strips
200g of broccoli, cut into florets
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1 brown onion, large, finely diced.
2 cloves garlic, crushed.
1/2 cup of beef stock.
¼ cup water
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.

Method
Add garlic and soy sauce to the beef and marinate for 10 minutes. Heat wok with oil over medium heat, add onion and stir fry beef for 2 minutes. Remove from wok. Add beef stock and water and stir fry broccoli for 2-3 minutes. Add the beef back into the wok for 1 minute to heat through. Serve.

Healthy fish cakes with coriander & chilli dipping sauce
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
Serves 6-8 fish cakes

Fish Cake Ingredients
400g fresh tuna
2-3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ cup coriander, chopped
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup sweet potato, garted
Spelt or rice flour to coat patties

Dipping sauce ingredients
¼ cup tamari soy sauce
4 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1 small fresh chilli
2 tsp honey

Method
Place all the fish cake ingredients (excluding the spelt flour) in a blender. Blend. Once you have blended the ingredients, shape the mixture into 6-8 cakes and flour lightly. Place in a steamer or fry pan with a little olive oil for approximately 5 minutes, turning once.

Chicken and vegetable patties
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4-6

Ingredients

400g chicken lean mince or fish such as tuna
1-2 tbsp of tamari soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ a cup of chopped coriander
1 large carrot, grated
1 cup of sweet potato, grated
Spelt or whole meal flour to coat patties
Olive oil for the pan

Method
Place all the ingredients except the spelt flour in a food processor and blend until smooth. Transfer the blended ingredients into a bowl. Shape 4-6 patties and toss lightly in the flour.

Heat a little olive oil and cook patties for 3-4 minutes each side. Alternatively they can be brushed with olive oil and baked in the oven, turning them once.

Serve with steamed vegetables.

Ham & Vegetable Frittata
Serves: 5-6
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Ingredients
6 whole eggs and 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 cup low fat milk
4 spring onions, sliced finely
1 Small zucchini sliced
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
4 mushrooms, sliced
300g lean ham (or cooked chicken)
1 tbsp chopped basil
2 tbsp grated Parmesan
Ground black pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 170 C. Lightly grease a 20cm ovenproof dish with a little oil
in a large bowl, whisk eggs with milk. Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixed well.
Pour mixture into the flan dish and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until set
Serve with a green salad

Italian roast vegetables and quinoa
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2

Quinoa is an ancient grain from South America, which is unusually high in protein for a grain. This recipe is wheat and gluten free, loaded with vitamins and minerals, and tastes wonderful.

Ingredients
1 cup of quinoa
2 cups of water, for cooking the quinoa
1 red capsicum, chopped into 1cm rounds
1 green capsicum, chopped into 1cm rounds
2 red onions, chopped into 1cm rounds
2 zucchinis, sliced into 1cm rounds
1 large field mushroom, chopped into 1cm slices
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
6 cloves of garlic, skin removed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup of water
3 tbsp fresh thyme, basil or parsley
Salt and pepper

Method
Wash and slice all the vegetables, leaving the tomatoes and garlic whole. Toss all the vegetables and garlic together in a large roasting pan with the olive oil, herbs, ¼ cup of water and the salt and pepper. Place in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft or have turned golden brown.

Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa very well (otherwise it can taste bitter). Place in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer until cooked. This should take about 15 minutes.

Serve the quinoa with the roasted vegetables on top.

Thai Beef Salad
Serves: 4-5
Preparation time: 10mins
Ingredients:
500g rump steak
1 tbsp olive oil
100g baby spinach leaves
1 red capsicum, seeded and finely sliced
11/2 cups bean sprouts
4 spring onions finely sliced
1/2 cup coriander leaves
2 tbsp chopped mint

Dressing
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 clove crushed garlic
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped (can be excluded if wanting)

Method:
Heat pan or BBQ grill to hot.
Brush meat with oil and cook for 3-4 minutes each side for medium rare or cook longer until desired level is obtained
Place steaks in a warm place, or cover with foil and set aside.
Mix all dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Slice meat across grain into thin strips.
Place beef and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad, then toss gently and serve immediately
Meatballs with dipping sauce

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients
500g lean beef mince
30ml soy sauce
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp ginger, crushed
1 spring onion, finely chopped
Soy sauce, or a little sweet chilli sauce for dipping
Method
Mix the soy sauce, garlic, ginger and spring onions in a bowl. Then add the mince and mix well. Roll into 20 large or 40 small (for finger food) balls. Heat oil in large fry pan, add meatballs and cook for about 10 mins until brown and cooked through.

Chicken breast with raw tomato & red capsicum sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2
Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp of dried oregano
Salt and pepper
Raw sauce ingredients
150g ripe fresh tomatoes, skinned and quartered
1 large red capsicum, or 1 small red and 1 small yellow capsicum, cored, deseeded and quartered
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
METHOD
Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a bowl mix the chicken breast, salt and pepper, oregano and olive oil. Place the chicken on a baking tray and cover the tray in foil. Cook in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes.
Put the tomato quarters in a food processor with the capsicum, parsley, grated parmesan cheese and 1 tbsp of olive oil and process to a thick sauce.
Place the cooked chicken breast on a plate and cover with the raw tomato sauce. Serve immediately with a salad of choice or vegetables.
Tip: If you have left over sauce it will freeze wonderfully.

I have others but they aren't on file and I don't want to type them all out,lol.
You didn't say if you were trying to lose weight, so I'm just assuming that you're not. The healthiest way to eat is not cutting fat and carbs too low. Fat should be 20 - 30% and carbs 45 - 65% (also protein 15 - 20%) of your daily intake. To make it healthy eat mostly unsaturated fat, replace butter with margarine (preferrably trans fat free), use olive oil, eat more fish instead of red meat, etc. Carbs are essential, just try and eat good carbs. Some healthy meals we have include...

chicken fried rice
thai fish cakes
fish fingers (home made)
roast vege pasta salad
mediterranean chicken & veg salad

If you want any recipes, let me know smile
Dee, Thank you for all those recipes. They sound delicious. I've just saved them. smile

You didn't say if you were trying to lose weight, so I'm just assuming that you're not. The healthiest way to eat is not cutting fat and carbs too low. Fat should be 20 - 30% and carbs 45 - 65% (also protein 15 - 20%) of your daily intake. To make it healthy eat mostly unsaturated fat, replace butter with margarine (preferrably trans fat free), use olive oil, eat more fish instead of red meat, etc. Carbs are essential, just try and eat good carbs. Some healthy meals we have include...

chicken fried rice
thai fish cakes
fish fingers (home made)
roast vege pasta salad
mediterranean chicken & veg salad

If you want any recipes, let me know smile

Sorry I should have mentioned that it is for weight loss. I need to get myself back on track with my weight loss. I'd love the roast veg pasta salad and the Mediterranean chicken salad if you don't mind sharing. smile
I make my zuccinni slice in muffin tins so they are in individual portions. You can put them into freezer bags to take for lunches - yummo!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

Dee, Thank you for all those recipes. They sound delicious. I've just saved them. smile

Sorry I should have mentioned that it is for weight loss. I need to get myself back on track with my weight loss. I'd love the roast veg pasta salad and the Mediterranean chicken salad if you don't mind sharing. smile

I don't have exact amounts sorry, because these are my own recipes. I just estimate the amounts depending on if it's just for me, or for DD and DP as well.

Roast Veg Pasta

Pumpkin
Potato
Carrot
Sweet potato
Peas
Spiral pasta
Olive oil
Salt

Cut the pumpkin, potato (I leave skin on), carrot and sweet potato into bit sized pieces. Place in baking tray and mix with olive oil and salt. Roast at 230 for around 30 mins. Boil pasta for recommended time (I usually throw peas in with pasta to save hassle). Mix pasta and veg together, add more olive oil and salt if necessary.

Mediterranean chicken salad

Chicken breast (left over chicken can be used)
Pumpkin (cut into cubes)
Carrot (cut into cubes)
Sweet potato (cut into cubes)
Corn on cob
Red capsicum (cut into thick strips)
Roma tomato (sliced)
Gormet lettuce
Olive oil
Salt

Pre heat oven to 220, place chicken on tray and drizzle a bit of olive oil and salt on top, put in oven. After chicken has been in for about 10 or so mins place pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato on tray (season with olive oil and salt), roast for about 30mins. 10 mins before chicken and veges are cooked add tomato, capsicum and corn. I usually have to turn the oven up for 5 mins at the end to brown everything.

When cooked, cool slightly before adding to lettuce (or lettuce goes weird). Cut corn kernals off and slice chicken, mix together. Add more olive oil if dry.
I hope I can fit into the subject with my input. I as well try to eat as healthy as possible - I am a keto vegetarian, but of course that I cook diverse meals for my son. I base my nutrition on this keto calculator, https://healthiack.com/keto-calculator so I am wondering, regardless of preparing meals for yourself or kiddos, can anyone input me with more inclusive keto recipes? They do not have to be necessarily vegetarian? Thanks, Alexa.
Sign in to follow this topic