Huggies Forum

Tonsils out in adults Rss

So, im getting my tonsils out in a few weeks and to say i am frightened is an understatement!!!

Everyone is telling me how painful it will be - what pain relief do they prescribe do you think? I totally forgot to ask sad

And if you had this done - how long til you 'recovered'? I'll only be in hossy one night but have been told to expect 2 weeks of pain....

*sigh* damned if i do, damned if i dont....

I havnt had mine out, but nursed many adults who have, PLEASE, I beg you, use the pain killers they prescribe, and start eating toast etc the next day. It will hurt, but the sooner you eat properly the sooner you will get better. There is no such thing as icecream n jelly for days afterwards any more, you need to get rid of the (TMI) dried blood from the surgery, and soft foods wont do this

I havnt had mine out, but nursed many adults who have, PLEASE, I beg you, use the pain killers they prescribe, and start eating toast etc the next day. It will hurt, but the sooner you eat properly the sooner you will get better. There is no such thing as icecream n jelly for days afterwards any more, you need to get rid of the (TMI) dried blood from the surgery, and soft foods wont do this

yeah i plan to get legally STONED as soon as they let me. im frightend of allllll the pain. Good luck with your testing tomorrow!!

I had my tonsils out at 16. Yep, it hurt a lot but I have to agree with Ross_544.

I couldn't (wouldn't?) start eating for days and I didn't recover well at all. I ended up with multiple infections etc.

The woman next to me was 21. She ate toast the next morning (I thought she was a maniac!) but recovered really quickly!

I had my adnoids and tonsils out about 3 yrs ago and OMG it was so bad, like i mean afterwards i was in bed for 3 days straight, they prescribed me with Panadine forte and something else so i pretty much slept the whole 3 days but my throat was sooo sore and i dunno i cant explain it but i hope i dont have to ever get it done again. Adnoids and tonsils are suppose to grow back mine has, ive had mine taken out 4 times now, its horrible. Good luck and i hope ur recovery is quick.
omg 4 times?
i have never had a problem with them, until recently. has severe tonsilitis 5 times in 5 months....pain pain pain!!! awful. omg im in for a hard ride i think....

yeah i plan to get legally STONED as soon as they let me. im frightend of allllll the pain. Good luck with your testing tomorrow!!

Thanks, not testing til next weekend (if I can hold out). My cycles are all over the place, and only 5dpo today, so will see how I go

yep 4 times my first was when i was 2 bcos i couldnt breathe properly and i almost bleed to death when i had the op. i ended up ina coma for 3 wks.but that was 21 yrs ago. just make sure u get plenty of rest.

omg 4 times?
i have never had a problem with them, until recently. has severe tonsilitis 5 times in 5 months....pain pain pain!!! awful. omg im in for a hard ride i think....

yep 4 times my first was when i was 2 bcos i couldnt breathe properly and i almost bleed to death when i had the op. i ended up ina coma for 3 wks.but that was 21 yrs ago. just make sure u get plenty of rest.

OMG, how terrified your parents must have been!! sad

MrsMM, haven't had mine out and hope I don't have to - although I am surprised I haven't as I had tonsillitis sooo many times as a kid. Good luck, and hope they give you lots of drugs grin
I had mine out at 18. I was given pethadine via a drip can't remember what I had when I left hospital. It is painful anyone that tells you different is lying but the long term benifits are well worth it. My voice changed for quite a while as well. Good luck with it.
Sign in to follow this topic