Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Do you donate money to charity Lock Rss

i had WSPA try to get me to donate a monthly direct debit and i had to say no because i hadnt consulted DH about it and he gets a bit funny about handing over bank details to even the best known charity organisations.
its been eating me up ever since because its a cause that i am passionate about and feel really strongly about.
its been nearly a month since they gave me their big spiel to get me to sign and i still keep thinking i should have done it and feeling guilty LOL

so do you donate on a regular basis to one or more charities? and which one?
not on a montly bacis but we had to choose two charitys as we just cant afford to donate to all of them that ring ..

We have chosen the rural fire brigade and the Royal flying doctors ...sometimes we will donate to the Mater Premi unit ..but not all the time ...

DH is happy to do one off donations if its buying raffle tickets or just a cash donation etc but he doesnt like the idea of direct debits. i dont know why because its no different any other organisation and i know telstra have ripped us off a great deal more than any charities LOL

most places that stop me in the shops etc want a monthly direct debit so that they can work out how much they have coming in and then delegate where to focus what funds instead of having no idea who will donate how much and when.

i had WSPA try to get me to donate a monthly direct debit and i had to say no because i hadnt consulted DH about it and he gets a bit funny about handing over bank details to even the best known charity organisations.
its been eating me up ever since because its a cause that i am passionate about and feel really strongly about.
its been nearly a month since they gave me their big spiel to get me to sign and i still keep thinking i should have done it and feeling guilty LOL

so do you donate on a regular basis to one or more charities? and which one?

I prefer to choose a variety of charities to support over the year and spread the donations around rather than give to just one charity month in month out. We choose to donate to charities like the Breast Cancer Foundation,Leukemia Foundation, SIDS n kids, Hospital Appeals, Smiling for Smiddy, and also to emergency services that we in the country rely on like the the RACQ rescue chopper and the Rural Fire Brigade etc.
We have a little money box tin given to us by the cystic fybrosis charity people and we just put our loose change in it. They come and collect the money from the tin every 4 months- they don't care how much is in it.

We also donate to the red shield appeal and guide dogs door knock appeal. I have to admit that if someone comes to the door for a charity I am highly likely to give them some money!! Not on the phone though....
how do you donate though dee?
do you give a one of cash? credit card? or buy raffles etc?
because ive had at least 5 tell me they wont take cash donations (surf rescue, canteen, WSPA just to name a few) and that they will only take direct debits but you can stop them at any time.
the tin is a really good idea nature mummy! i like it!!

oh yes we have donated a few times to the guide dogs as well.
see if people were willing to take tins etc i'd do that in a second! its the whole bank account/credit card thing my DH is not happy about.
I have never actually done a month to month with a charity ( and never will) but my younger brother did and he had a bad experience, they were taking the money and over drawing his account costing him extra in fees, we asked them to cancel it in writing and they ignored the letter, we had to pay a solicitor to write a letter to get them to stop and it still took 3 months...
We asked the bank to stop the payments and they couldn't....

This is a reason why I wont, it can be rorted badly, our solicitor told us of people putting 10 a month on the form and 1000 dollars taken ( decimal point was ignored ) etc, our solicitor told us never to do it...

If it was me I would just donate when I could.... too much can be mistaken and rorted....

I would hate for you to be taken advantage of Emma, it was a huge eye opener for my family in giving to charity
thanks for the feedback lauren. this is exactly why DH wont let me.
i agree there would definately be some dodgy companies out there and i wont do it if my DH is not happy about it but i would still like to give in some way but it seems all the ones i want to donate to want it done via direct debit.
I dont personally donate my hard earned funds to charities. I am not confident that 100% of my funds go where they are most needed.

However, i am lucky enough to be in position, that in my employment, i have a key performance outcome that relates directly to corporate responsibility & supporting our local communities. So, basically if i want my yearly bonus, i need to be able to check these 2 boxes off - along with half a dozen others.

So, i donate all lost property, part used toiletries, old bedding items that we are no longer using, anything really that is useable, to one of the local charities here. They support 6 local indiginous & homeless programs in Darwin. I give them a call on a monthly basis, i box it up for them & they come & collect it. I also send out group emails asking the rest of the staff in the building if they have anything at home that they would like to get rid of, they can bring it in & add it to the rest.

All up we have donated thousands of dollars worth of clothing & bedding this year alone. I have also now got 2 other hotels in the Darwin CBD to come on board & do the same thing. Do i NEED to go to this much effort to get my bonus - no, i only need to show 1 example of corporate & community support each quarter (so 3 in total for the year), but i figure that i shouldnt do something like this half hearted, so am building a support network for the charity that we are donating to. Really, i check off enough boxes in the first 3 months of the year, but we collect so much lost property in the hotel, that it is a waste to throw it out when there are people who have nothing or very little. I got to go out not that long ago & visit a family that we donated beds & bedding to just recently & it was really upsetting to me. All i could give them was 4 mattresses & sheets etc, but they were so thankful. Seeing how these people live was just a reminder of how lucky i am. The mumma, just hugged me & hugged me, she was crying & saying thank you. These people would not have benefited from me donating money, cause they still wouldnt have been able to afford beds & sheeting, so i feel good about this.

how do you donate though dee?
do you give a one of cash? credit card? or buy raffles etc?
because ive had at least 5 tell me they wont take cash donations (surf rescue, canteen, WSPA just to name a few) and that they will only take direct debits but you can stop them at any time.

Cash, Credit, Raffle Tickets.....All of the above,lol. I use my credit card (NEVER over the phone with charities because some are bogus!) but when I use the credit card to donate I don't commit to donate monthly, just a one off donation. And tbh, if donation options were limited to being a monthly direct debit commitment...I don't think I'd be inclined to donate to them.
I'll donate to the Red Cross and Salvation Army when they come around but won't ever do a direct debit system as like a PP mentioned, I know people that have been ripped off too.

I donate to HeartKids whenever I can and we have 3 donation tins here as well....1 is for loose change, and the other 2 I move around between a couple of spots in my area eg my local chemist, servo etc.

Another thing I do for HeartKids is take some books up to the Mater when I go up....there's usually only crappy out of date magazines in the Parent's room/kitchen area so I've been keeping aside a mix of different novels so parents have something else to read through the long hours on the Cardiac Ward. It's not much but those hours can really drag and hopefully the books can give even one parent something else to think about for a little while smile

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

Sign in to follow this topic