Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

I am so furious! Rss

So we have some money problems and I'm more than happy to step in and help out, as our baby is a dream (but still a baby needing a lot of time!)

The first job I find is a basic income supplement which is making, those little extenders for the bottom of a onesie so your baby will fit them longer. The instructions I get come with a big disclaimer- she is a perfectionist, and will send back anything which isn't up to her standard. Sweet- I've done a bit of prof. sewing and sewing squares is not such a biggie for me. Then the instructions I get are vague as vague. "match the side of the foot to the side of the fabric so it is the right distance in" instead of giving a seam allowance (how far from the side to sew); "sew the tag to the shorter side" of the oblongs- this turns out not to be the side shortest in length but in fact the side longest in length. I find this out by looking on the website because even the photo examples she gave were unclear.

I email off asking for confirmation of the seam allowance and am told .5cm, which is pretty small, but easy enough. The finished sample looks suspiciously big on this seam allowance, but that's what she asked for.

I complete my 'trial' one to send back to her and she says to just take a photo with my webcam. I take it, and spend a bit of time adjusting light so it's as clear as possible. She approves it straightaway. I complete 15 of the damn things and it takes me 3 hours, while I get to know the pattern -no fear, I think, the first time will take a bit longer but once I get it down I'll zoom through. 15 is the minimum to do as I wasn't told how many to do, so I got this number from the contract.

Send them back and hear nothing for 2 weeks. I get bored and start making up more, using all of the fabric I have left (about 45 half made up), but am uneasy because she hasn't told me which sizes to make more etc..but I need the money sooner rather than later. Send a few emails asking what she thought, etc, how many more she needs, etc, get one back saying "how many would you like to make" and "how many did you send?"...

I finally get a response tonight and she's rejected all 15 of my samples. I didn't iron them, because (tbh) screw ironing them on 20c a piece. She says the tension on my machine is screwed (it is not) and they're all wavy, so the samples are unuseable INCLUDING the one she approved already. Further, apparently I didn't cut them out the right size because THEY'RE THE WRONG SIZE BECAUSE SHE GAVE ME THE WRONG SEAM ALLOWANCE.

I spent 3 hours on 15, no result. I now have 45ish uncompleted. Screw doing them, can almost guarantee they'll be rejected for some godforsaken reason. SO FRUSTRATED!!

This is after I just finished a $5/hr in home childcare job because the number of 'errands' the mum wanted me to run for her baby (including using all of my own nappies/wipes etc and washing all of the baby's things for her on a daily basis) cut so much into my profit that it just wasn't worth it.

I used to make $20/hr!! And have nothing but compliments on my abilities, work ethic and attitude! So sick of this!

Sorry had to rant. Was going to post on facebook but even after all this I don't want to damage the woman's business, as she operates a lot via facebook.
oh hun that is so unfair! Actually she sounds a bit dodgy to me sad
I have actually been looking for a sewer lol! I make little girls clothes and find I can't keep up with demand. I have a FB page, it is www.bridiejo.com (it directs to my FB page). Can you PM me with where you live?
Hi

Have you got the so called reject ones back? If not, I'd be demanding them. She'll probably go and sell them.

I think it sounds a bit odd too.

Understandably furious I would think.

I have actually been looking for a sewer lol! I make little girls clothes and find I can't keep up with demand. I have a FB page, it is www.bridiejo.com (it directs to my FB page). Can you PM me with where you live?

I don't think she just used me for free work- I think she just needs to improve her communication and think a bit harder.. Your stuff looks gorgeous! Will do smile
sheesh! that sucks
glad i can't sew tongue

hope you can find something else. Working for yourself in that instance is probably the better option.

finding any work as a mum is hard ay.
That sounds really harsh sad

I hope bridiejo can help you out !! She does some awesome work and can see why she would need extra hands wink
Thanks guys smile I figured if I got blasted on here for how I handled it, I'd know I had it wrong somewhere!

Argh..yeap finding work as a mum is hard! I don't want to go back to work and put my little one into childcare!

Thanks guys smile I figured if I got blasted on here for how I handled it, I'd know I had it wrong somewhere!

Argh..yeap finding work as a mum is hard! I don't want to go back to work and put my little one into childcare!

I'm sorry you're having to go through all that. I completely understand. I took on a cleaning job a few months ago & one of my clients cancelled without notice because my dusting wasn't good enough. That would have been fine had he told me beforehand what I was doing wrong. I have since quit that job. It didn't fit in well with my family.

I can't sew or make pretty clips and my attempts at finding an office job with school hours has been unsuccessful (according to my sister, no-one wants to employ people with commitments - gotta love family). So I have taken in ironing. I charge $25/hr and at the moment I have 3 regular clients and about 1/2 dozen occasional drops in. I iron once the kids are in bed & can pick up/drop off with the kids in the car. It's not what I was looking for but it is helping paying the bills & some weeks every dollar counts.

I hope you find what you need soon. Good luck.

I have just had a look at the lovely dresses on the Bridiejo site and wanted to buy some. The shop now tab was empty, I assume that means you don't have any stock right now. Will there be more soon and do you make really small sizes?

I have just had a look at the lovely dresses on the Bridiejo site and wanted to buy some. The shop now tab was empty, I assume that means you don't have any stock right now. Will there be more soon and do you make really small sizes?

Thanks hun smile
I am closed for custom orders because basically I had quite a list and with just little old me doing the sewing it was a bit too much. So now I just "sew as I go" and pop up photos of items I have made in various sizes. I really like to do one-of-a-kind dresses so you won't see a hundred of them lol! Keeps me creative too. One day I would love to do it full time, maybe when B&J are a little older smile
Sign in to follow this topic