Huggies Forum

Who has done a kitchen Reno???? Rss

We are thinking about doing the kitchen up, the oven and stove will be cvered by insurance as our oven burnt out big time the other day, I may chip in a little more to get the one I really want though!!

I won't be getting a dishwasher atm but will get one cupboard made up to be removed down the track....... and we willl be looking at flat pack type kitchens that DH can put together and we will tile ourselves......

Can anyone help me with a rundown of costs????

We won't be changin the floor covering just yet (next years job!!!)
I believe IKEA and Bunnings do the best flat pack kitchens, depends on where you are. I believe you can get one for around $2000? Depends on how big your kitchen is and where you want overheads etc.

I believe IKEA and Bunnings do the best flat pack kitchens, depends on where you are. I believe you can get one for around $2000? Depends on how big your kitchen is and where you want overheads etc.

IKEA kitchens seem inexpensive, but you need their fixings and screws and stuff too, and all up it gets VERY expensive! Bunnings do fantastic flat pack kitchens for good prices, or you may have a place locally that designs your kitchen and then makes it in flat pack for you to add yourself.

Alternatively you can look for a 2nd hand one - rich people upgrade all the time and you can get a bargain! Not really so good out in regional areas though.

Are your cupboards/kickboards still in good condition? Could you repaint them? There is a great article in BH&G this month, they've repainted kitchen cabinets and done up the bench and it looks a million bucks, all for the cost of some paint!

Check out the Good Guys and Retravision, they often have kitchen package 'deals' where you get the oven, cooktop, range hood and dishwasher for a really good price. Do you want a new sink as well, and new fittings? They can be pricey but you can get good deals for cash.

If you do what you can yourself you'll save the most. It really depends on what you want - ie, melamine kitchen cupboards will cost you much less than blackwood cabinets, or having a granite benchtop will cost a bomb compared to Laminex or even timber smile
I've done an Ikea kitchen and mine came with everything but the handle, which you just had to get from a different section. The ikea website has a great planner which you can use and it will tell you the cost of what you choose. We got their most expensive door fronts and it cost about $4000 without appliances but I have a very small kitchen, 5 cupboards and two sets of drawers. It gets lots of compliments when people come to the house smile
If I had of gotten the cheapest door fronts it would have been around $2000, it's probably half the size of your average kitchen though.

I've done an Ikea kitchen and mine came with everything but the handle, which you just had to get from a different section. The ikea website has a great planner which you can use and it will tell you the cost of what you choose. We got their most expensive door fronts and it cost about $4000 without appliances but I have a very small kitchen, 5 cupboards and two sets of drawers. It gets lots of compliments when people come to the house smile
If I had of gotten the cheapest door fronts it would have been around $2000, it's probably half the size of your average kitchen though.

How long ago did you do your kitchen S? My parents put an IKEA kitchen in their old place, thinking it would be pretty cheap, but after they had to buy all the fixings it cost so much more! This was probably about 8 years ago.

How long ago did you do your kitchen S? My parents put an IKEA kitchen in their old place, thinking it would be pretty cheap, but after they had to buy all the fixings it cost so much more! This was probably about 8 years ago.

Only about 18 months ago, I think I remember we did buy longer screws to attach it to the wall because my dad wasn't happy with the ones they supplied (not sure why but may have been because of our old house with wonky walls! <span class="emoticon laugh">laugh</span>) but a packet of screws isn't very expensive <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>

It's this one which at the time was the most expensive one (it's called Ulriksdal) but still much cheaper than any of the other kitchen places we tried. Bunnings wasn't doing them yet but I've since had a quick look at their's and wasn't a big fan.
My kitchen is being done right this very minute (there is a lot of drilling and banging going on!!).

Our is costing around $10k for the cupboards, $2,200 for appliances, $1,000 electrical and $1,200 plumbing. I also have to organise the walls to be retiled, so I have no idea how much that will be.
hello everyone smile

i redid my kitchen a year ago, well hubby did lol - he's a cabinet maker. he would never recommend any kind of flat pack kitchen to tell you the truth. and he cannot get his head around the price of ikea kitchens! (he doesnt like ikea quality). ours cost 5k which included granite benchtops, paintwork on the 2pak door fronts etc and appliances (we just didnt pay for any labour of course). he has always worked for smaller cabinet businesses, they can sometimes be half the price of a larger company like kitchen connections for example (nan's cost 10k about 7ish years ago! NO granite or appliances!). it might be worth it to get some quotes? hope this helps you and good luck! getting a new kitchen, wherever its from, will be so exciting smile

We are thinking about doing the kitchen up, the oven and stove will be cvered by insurance as our oven burnt out big time the other day, I may chip in a little more to get the one I really want though!!

I won't be getting a dishwasher atm but will get one cupboard made up to be removed down the track....... and we willl be looking at flat pack type kitchens that DH can put together and we will tile ourselves......

Can anyone help me with a rundown of costs????

We won't be changin the floor covering just yet (next years job!!!)

We did our kitchen last September, the pics are on FB. Ours was a pretty big job. Rip out kitchen, rip out laundry, knock down adjoining wall/plaster and move electricals. Original flooring ripped up and replaced with new boards. Floor in old laundry section needed to have channels cut in the concrete so that floor boards could be laid over the top of it. Also ripped out original window, knocked out bricks and replaced with a larger and new aluminium window.

Most of my laundry is drawers with the exception of under the sink. My microwave is tucked away in a cupboard with a door that opens up and over the top of the microwave. My panty is two huge drawers at the bottom and then shelving up the top (top section I use as the linen press). My washing machine and dryer are concealed in cabinets too.

All my cupboards go all the way up to the roof and have trim across the top so that I never have to worry about dust. All my drawers are self closing and have life time warranties on them. The cost of my kitchen also included the desk with drawers and storage/broom cabinet a the end of it, that runs straight off the end of the kitchen bench.

I chose laminate benchtops and vacuum form finish for the cupboards

I have a very good quality sink with excellent size bowls. I have a great wall oven, ceramic cook top, rangehood and a one drawer F&P dishdrawer.

A rough breakdown:
Appliances $4500
Sink and Mixer $1300
Rip out and installation of Kitchen/Laundry/Desk (including all electrical and plumbing work) $13 000
Remove wall/patch roof etc/install new window/rip up & re-lay new flooring (including concrete
cutting) $4 000

A few tips. Don't EVER buy the sink/mixer/appliances that are on offer from kitchen companies, unless you are going with a top quality kitchen company, but still do your research. What they offer are what is classified as builders products. Mass made cheap products, no bells or whistles.

Sinks are usually a satin (matt) finish and look old before their time. It is often difficult to get water stains off them too, and forget that shiny sink, you will never have it. The other thing is that the bowls are really shallow making washing pots and pans a pain in the bottom.

The over, they will offer an under bench oven. Usually the griller is inside the oven cavity. Even though it might seem like a good idea.... try grilling meat and cooking chips at the same time..... it is nearly impossible. Mum had bought a brand new upright with the grill inside the oven cavity and she HATED it.

My preference was to get a wall oven with seperate grill. Mine is classified as a 1 1/2 oven. Both sections have griller elements up the top and the 1/2 oven is just that, also an oven. I do not need to heat up the full oven if I only want to use one tray, it is EXCELLENT.

Splurge and get yourself a nice ceramic cook top. They aren't that expensive, again shop around.

Getting the dishwasher cupboard is a great idea, that way you can pick one up when your see a good one on special.

Get a good tap too Jess. The ones that kitchen companies/builders offer are cheap quality. Get something that has a good chrome finish that will last the years. Being on tank water I am not sure if mixer taps are recommended. In the past tank water was known for being too gritty and would scratch the ceramic discs which makes the mixer tap leak. Also, pressure may be an issue too. Mixers only work well if there is enough pressure. A local plumber could advise you on that anyway.

Everyone told me that there is little to no difference in the polyeurathane (sp) and vacuum form finishes. Vacuum form is much cheaper and is the newer technology, quicker and cheaper to make. Vacuum form is also more hardy when you have kids running around than the polyeurethane. Expensive isnt always the best way to go in the case.

You will find a great variety of prices between companies. One of the main differences I noticed was the drawers (type of sliders and drawer frames), hinges (soft closing or normal type), and the shelving itself (some of them don't join very well and you can see the chipboard where the laminate doesn't meet perfectly with the edge strips).

I could go on more... but I have already bored you to death... lol

Oh, I used to work or 2 manufactures of kitchen sinks/laundry tubs/tapware/accessories/bath tubs/toilet suites etc.... so I know what I am talking about when it comes to builders items and the quality.... lol

I know we spend alot on our kitchen, but it will last a long time, probably 20 years.

Is OVER rude people

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!
Much appreciated DH and I have been reading through them!
Keep them coming!!

You will find a great variety of prices between companies. One of the main differences I noticed was the drawers (type of sliders and drawer frames), hinges (soft closing or normal type), and the shelving itself (some of them don't join very well and you can see the chipboard where the laminate doesn't meet perfectly with the edge strips).

The price difference in hinges and drawers would be the difference in Blum hardware and the other brands. You are better off spending the little bit more money and getting them to use Blum hinges as the are a very good quality and they have a lifetime guarantee. As well as working as a cabinet maker, Ive also worked for Lincoln Sentry selling all cabinet hardware. Prices of kitchens vary so much though. Ive built ones between $3000 and $100,000!! If you go on the website www.lincolnsentry.com.au, you can look at their cataloge and all the cool doodads they sell! They also sell Viva appliances which are reasonably priced and have cool touch doors, great when you have kids! If your husband is a tradesman of any type then you get trade prices from them as well.
My hubby and I have went around and around on this of having a kitchen in the basement. We have been planning basement renovation for over a few years, our current kitchen is very tine and it also needs reno. We're are going to kill two birds with one stone