Huggies Forum

In shock Rss

Hi all

Havent been on here in months maybe even years....

I had a scary experience last night and needed to get it off my chest and get some advice.

My husband has always been a very vivid sleeper... talks to himself, sometimes acts out his dreams and thrashed around fighting people in his sleep. Last night it went to a new level. He was having another dream and he thought I was the person he was fighting in the dream. I managed to wake him during it but I ended up brused and batter.

We have had a horid day today, my husband is a mess and feels utterly terrible. His memory of it is simply waking up on top of me.I have carpet burn on my legs... bruises too.

I feel terrible for my husband and cant begin to explain how it feels. He has NEVER hurt me before hes kind, loving and gentle and to have this happen its so hard to deal with.

Has anyone ever experienced this?
GBH to both you and your DH, hope you are both ok.

If your DH regularly acts out etc while he's dreaming, I wonder if maybe he should have either a sleep study done to see when it is happening and what effect it is having on the quality of his sleep, or a visit to a hypnotist/psychologist to maybe get to the bottom of why his dreams are so vivid/real/violent.

It sounds like he needs to get to the bottom of it before something else happens. If it happens again, maybe you need to sleep seperately until you know why its happening and it is addressed.

Good luck finding answers:)

Ben 25/10/06 + Erin 10/9/08

Wow, that sounds like it would have been terrifying for both you and him. I would be getting him to go to see your GP. I'm pretty sure that violent sleep disorders can be treated, I think they are also linked to sleep walking etc. Might be worth a trip to the Dr and probably a referral to a sleep clinic to see what can be done to manage his condition. (((GBH))) to you both.

Agree with both PPs... Definitely worth investigating further for both your sakes..

i posted in the other one so i put it here too, save having 2 on the go

wow that would be really scary!! i don't have any advice sorry! But my dp has tried to hit me twice in his sleep and talked a lot of nonsense i went to wake him up once he was asleep on the couch and he was having a dream about someone getting him at the same time so as he was waking up took a swing at me, i can tell you i jumped a mile, and it usually takes him about 5 - 10 minutes after waking up to realise what has happened!! I hope nothing like this happens again, would be terrible for both of you!
(((hugs))) that would've been very scary.

I agree with the other girls though that it'd be wise to seek professional help. It's scary to think of what different outcomes are possible if this continues unsure

thanks everyone... hes heading to the GP tommorrow. I have done abit of reading and seems like it may be a sleep disorder.

Its just really hard to feel as though you have been attacked by someone, but its the person i love and he did not in anyway mean to. Its like I have no one to be mad at??

thanks everyone... hes heading to the GP tommorrow. I have done abit of reading and seems like it may be a sleep disorder.

Its just really hard to feel as though you have been attacked by someone, but its the person i love and he did not in anyway mean to. Its like I have no one to be mad at??

(((HUGS))) It must be so difficult for you both, as you said, you have noone to get mad at and your DH must be feeling so guilty even though logically he had absolutely no control over what he was doing at the time. I'm glad he's going to see the Dr tomorrow as the sooner he gets the sleep disorder diagnosed and treated the better. On the upside I think that these particular sleep disorders respond pretty well for treatment. I think all you can really do is support him and reassure him that you don't blame him and that is was in no way his fault.

Big hugs to you, good luck seeing the GP, I would love to hear how you go, DH also acts out in his sleep at times, though thankfully nothing violent as yet, though the worst he has done was dreamt he was rolling his truck with me in it and he grabbed me, and as I was trying to move away he thought I was falling so was squeezing me around my ribs, I couldn't breathe and he was hurting, I ended up swinging my foot around and kicking him in the nads to get him to stop.

It is quite scary as you just can't rouse them from it

Hi all

I had a scary experience last night and needed to get it off my chest and get some advice.

My husband has always been a very vivid sleeper... talks to himself, sometimes acts out his dreams and thrashed around fighting people in his sleep. Last night it went to a new level. He was having another dream and he thought I was the person he was fighting in the dream. I managed to wake him during it but I ended up brused and batter.

We have had a horid day today, my husband is a mess and feels utterly terrible. His memory of it is simply waking up on top of me.I have carpet burn on my legs... bruises too.

I feel terrible for my husband and cant begin to explain how it feels. He has NEVER hurt me before hes kind, loving and gentle and to have this happen its so hard to deal with.

Hi all

Hi all

I have not read any replies so I hope I am not repeating anything. My Father suffers from a REM sleep disorder. Basically it means that his body does not experience sleep paralysis like 'most' people do when he sleeps and dreams, so instead of his body being frozen during the dreaming stage of sleep he is active and acts out his dreams. He gave my Mum whiplash by smacking her in the middle of the back during a dream, he remembered none of it the next day. Since then he has climbed curtains, fallen out of bed and hurt himself during dreams (many scrapes and cuts).

He is now on medication (don't know the pill name) but he takes it before bed and it basically sedates him and artificially aids in the paralysis that he should experience during sleep. Since being medicated he sleeps more peacefully, and more restfully. Having said that my mother still does not share a bed with him.

Go see your GP and ask about REM sleep disorders.
Sign in to follow this topic