Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Who find being a SAHM not stimulating enough?

Who find being a SAHM not stimulating enough? Rss

Just been reading a few things lately and a lot of women commenting that they didn't find being a SAHM enough so needed to go back to work in some form for 'mental stimulation'

I have done 5yrs of uni, FT employment etc but I must say I have never once felt 'stale' (for lack of better word lol) in my last almost 6yrs that I've been a SAHM

What about you???
I think it is more the lack of human contact and adult conversation than actual boredom. Sometimes it is nice to have something to talk about other than your children as well and people to talk to who aren't interested in your children IYKWIM.
I'm torn. I love being home with her, I wouldn't change that for the world, but I had a really cool and exciting job that some days I miss. I used to come home and rave about the cancer I'd found, the work I'd done, and now sometimes I get bored.

As she is getting older it gets more stimulating, more rewarding, and more fun.
I've been a SAHM for four years now and I LOVE it!!

Its more than enough for me, I cant get enough of being with my girls and know that all too soon they will be at school and then I'll be back at work and boy will I miss being a SAHM. This time is so precious, I cant imagine not being a SAHM.

Just been reading a few things lately and a lot of women commenting that they didn't find being a SAHM enough so needed to go back to work in some form for 'mental stimulation'

I have done 5yrs of uni, FT employment etc but I must say I have never once felt 'stale' (for lack of better word lol) in my last almost 6yrs that I've been a SAHM

What about you???

I can't do 'nothing' with my brain (that's well written isn't it?!). So while I'm happy as Larry not being in the corporate world anymore, whilst being a SAHM I have enrolled in a TAFE course, taken on a bookkeeping client, and am a week or so away from launching a website to sell products I enjoy making - but do not have need for an abundance of myself!

I lasted 5mths after S1 was born before I was going stir-crazy and lined up part-time work at my sister's Accounting business. I took S1 with me so technically was still a SAHM I guess? She sacked me when I stopped work to have S2 (cow LOL!) hence the enrolling in TAFE course etc to keep my brain going.

I would think without the external stimulation I would feel 'stale'. Probably the same as you would if you didn't have your gym work, business admin etc to get you out of the house-keeping zone IYKWIM.

I think it is more the lack of human contact and adult conversation than actual boredom. Sometimes it is nice to have something to talk about other than your children as well and people to talk to who aren't interested in your children IYKWIM.

That pretty much nails it for me. I cant be a SAHM alone, I have to work or study outside of the home as I would be even more lonely than I already am. I would go days or a whole week without talking to anyone but my kids if that were the case. I "Need" to get out of the house & have time as an adult not just a mum with nothing apart from my children.
I did like being a stay at home mum, but I just i wanted more and i wanted to be progressing in a professional sense and home sense, so going back to work has been great, i went back to a totally different profession and it has been the best choice, both family and work are thriving.

As Livvy is an only child and a toddler she gets a lot out of day care, so i don't feel guilty about her going fulltime.

I just don't think being a SAHM is for me

Although I love my kids ..I would give my left boob (and at the moment that is my full one ) to go back to work more often ...I love my kids but I also love working ..going to work every day is so much easier then staying at home I recon ...

I agree with PP its the adult stimulation that you miss. I even talk to my cats and dog some days. It can get a bit repetitive cooking, cleaning and nappies every single day. I have study commitments when the playgroups are on so im home 24/7 and rarely see any adults. Im happy though being a SAHM and life is gonna get alot busier in 4 month.
I adore being a SAHM and have been home since the start of my first pregnancy. I love to keep my brain active and I need to keep busy so I study. I don'k know if I will use my study in a professional sense, as long as I am studying, I am happy! I also do a lot of activities with the kids which keeps me on my toes!

As far as the lack of adult contact goes... We attend playgroup, I go out at least once per week with a friend for lunch, talk to my friends on the phone etc.
I am very happy (and very lucky) to be a SAHM. I must admit at times I do find it very boring and repetitive, but that feeling doesnt last too long! I do miss the outside communication with people and having conversations that consist of some healthy debate/opinions/ making my brain work etc rather than the usual talk of babies, bums, bruises, 'boo boos' and boobs! lol

I LOVE doing photography, so I get to indulge that part of myself having 2 (sometimes) willing models... hmmm .... maybe I should look into studying?
I am not ' bored' as such as I do a lot of things out of the house anyway but I hate housework and wish I was more like my very organised mum who seems to like cleaning and organising things.She failed in oraganising me LOL.I dont think I am so bored of being home,I like being at home, just hate all the chores

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic