Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. what the hell is going on in Australia?????

what the hell is going on in Australia????? Rss

Ok, I was staying out of this as I don't have a clue about public housing but seeing it's gone this far off track just wanted to add my two cents as this really rubs me the wrong way!
My SIL is Japanese, don't worry, she runs her own business back in Japan so she isn't a burdon on your system or doing any queue jumping but my nephews were born here, they are as Aussie as the next kid, but they certainly look Japanese. It makes me sick to my stomach that people might look at my nephews and be racist towards them because they think they aren't Aussie enough.

That is all..
Beofre having kids I worked in Sunnybank In Brisbane ...it has been nick named "little tiepe" there are asians absolutly everywhere ...we needed a few full time translators just to get through the day ...most of the signs are in cheneese ...these people are some of the most generous and lovely people I know ..some are still friends today ..they are kind and considerate ...but to give me their health care card (I work in a chemist) they had to riffle through their LV hand bag and passt their BMW key ring to get the card ..and then the wads of cash they have in their wallets ...my god !!!!! so they got their medication for $3.50 or what ever it was in the day ..and there were others who were struggling to buy their kids asthma meds cause they were working and doing it tough ...this story is so so so so so so so common ...happens so much during the day that it is not even shocking anymore !!! ...so you cant tell me there are not immigrants out there scamming the system ...cause I have wittnessed it for 9 years day in day out !! ...

So are they bad people for doing this ???? no ....they are only doing it cause it is made possible for them to do it ...just in this sector alone do you have any idea how much money is spent ?? we were a fairly buisy pharmacy but nothing huge and the government would give up $100 000's of dollars in our claim every month !! and we were only one pharmacy !!!!!!!

I dont know anyone who is going to begrudge a refugee ...I would like my son to sit next to someone at school that has a diffrent spin on life ...someone happy and someone who can show Luke that he cant take what he has for granted !! ...I am all for a multi cultural country ...for gos sake ..it is a big unused country so why not ...we have the room and we have the moeny ....but I dont want that to take away from the ones already here and still in great need !!!

I think we should all be thankful that we get anything from our government. We are very spoilt. We get money for having babies, free healthcare, money for staying at home with the kids, money for childcare and the list goes on. I don't know much about government housing or anything like that. But I do know that we should all be grateful that we live in a country helps out the less furtunate as much as Aus does.

Posted by: Mama2boys
I think we should all be thankful that we get anything from our government. We are very spoilt. We get money for having babies, free healthcare, money for staying at home with the kids, money for childcare and the list goes on. I don't know much about government housing or anything like that. But I do know that we should all be grateful that we live in a country helps out the less furtunate as much as Aus does.

completely agree with the above.

the only thing we need to remember is that it is welfare. my only gripe is that if you do not NEED to be receiving welfare then you should not be getting it. Unfortunately there is a whole bunch of people wroughting the system of all walks of life. that is what shytes me to tears. that the generousity of this country is taken advantage of and seen as their god given right to receive. it can sometimes be made too easy to do nothing rather than to improve your life somewhat.
My husband is an immigrant. He applied to come to AUS took a yr to get accepted. Within a week of bein in AUS he had a job lined up. He couldnt even speak english properly.

Now thats what annoys me ppl who cant/ wont get jobs. There are jobs out there whether u like the work or not it's not about that, its about providing for yourself or your family.

ALso because my DH immigrated here through the correct procedures he is not eligable for any benefits for 2 yrs, not that he would receive any as he earns too much.

I don't really have anything to say lol so I don't know why I'm replying really.. Except I wasn't born in Australia, I've been here 18yrs and I'm not a citizen yet, and I wasn't offended at all by what Frankie said, I don't understand why some jumped on her? Frankie correct me if I'm wrong (really, do!!) but weren't you just saying that immigrants/refugees have it easy with centrelink etc so australians should be treated the same (whether they were born here or became citizens etc).. Just the same.. Not better, the same..

Posted by: .:Katie:.
Frankie correct me if I'm wrong (really, do!!) but weren't you just saying that immigrants/refugees have it easy with centrelink etc so australians should be treated the same (whether they were born here or became citizens etc).. Just the same.. Not better, the same..

that is how i read it...
i haven't read all the replies, but have certainly read a lot of them. This is to the OP, you are doing it tough, i get that, and your looking for a break. It will happen, just be patient. But for now sounds as though you are doing a good job supporting you and your child.

I won't pretend to understand how the housing system works. But I can assure you that many people living in government housing that are what some of you describe as "non-Australians" or "non Aussie", are fully entitled to be there. Do you realize how long it takes for someone to be accepted when they apply to come over to Austalia legally? It can take years. In some countries, those people have had to live in worse conditions than you or i could possibly imagine. In some cases these people have to live in the daily fear of being killed by their 'so-called government', raped, or sold into prostitution. Some have witnessed their whole families being murdered by the mallitia, and others have been beaten so badly for having the rights to vote.

So, all you are worried about is that these people are in the queue before you. Amazing.
Abstudy DOES give aboriginal more money than austudy. Its not a huge difference but its there.

Yes aboriginals get lower interest rates for home loans through their 'department'. 12mths ago there was not a huge wait. ANd its ridiculous. With an income of $85000 a year you can borrow of a minimum of $320000. So they aren't really trying to 'help themselves' To me this is for aboriginals that are already ok, and a way for them to pay less interest. How is that fair its not.

My friend is a single mother and becasue the father of her baby wont pay child support she lives off $700 a fortnight. This has to cover everything - bills- food- clothes- nappies -etc. SO whoever said the single mother pension is generous...yeah right!!

To the op I think that is very unfair and currrently our country is trying to impress other countries becasue they dont wan tto p!ss anyone off. They need to look after the people here first!
Why are people still griping on about Abstudy being more than Austudy? So what? It is all still means-tested. I thought most people would agree that giving an Aboriginal child a better chance at getting a good education would be well worth any 'extra' they get in their bank every fortnight (though I'm sure the difference is minimal)?
If everything is equal abstudy is more. There are justa s many non aboriginal kids whoa re likely to drop out of school.
i do have to agree with plastic nipple here.
my sisters husband is from africa and it took them 2 years and a heap of stuffing around for him to be allowed into the country and recognised as my sisters husband.

while they were living over in africa they witnessed black africans setting peoples homes on fire with them still inside, hijacking cars at traffic lights (over there you dont stop anywhere!)
they had a neighbour who was gang raped, forced to watch her child gang raped and then had her arms cut off with a machete.

its just disgusting some of the things that go on in these types of countries and at the end of the day, no matter what their race, age, religion, they are humans who just want to feel safe and want their families to be safe.

thats off on a bit of a tangent but some of the things i am told, it amazes me how these refugees/immigrants can pick themselves up, dust themselves off and continue to live productive lives.
Sign in to follow this topic