Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. what the hell is going on in Australia?????

what the hell is going on in Australia????? Rss

life is not fair.
there is always going to be hardship, suffering and people in need of help.
It must be a HUGE task to have to sort through all these people (Aussie or not!) and have to prioritise which family gets a roof over their head and which will have to spend a night in a refuge or even worse, on the streets.
Regardless of race. Whether you are black, white or friggen purple, we are all humans and we will all have a time in our life where we need the help of someone else, just as we will all have a time in our lives where we are able to help someone else.
Thank goodness i was born here and grew up comfortably. i can't imagine how difficult some people have it. Its just terrible to think of the struggles that are happening in the world.
and thank goodness we have a government that CAN and WILL support those in need.

We need to be spreading love, acceptance and tolerance.
And until you walk a mile in someone elses shoes you will never really know what they have been through or are going through.

Posted by: Bungie
Posted by: *Frankie*
quote]I think you are jumping to conclusions ....

I am saying that we need to look after our own and give them the same benifits as someone who has immigrated here ...cause as it stands it is not fair ..I still think that what we get is fantastic and we are very lucky ...but there does need to be a system where it is the same rule for everyone ....

stop trying to pick a fight with me ...cause I am just about to loose my cool with you !!!!

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. I'm trying to get you to understand how offensive your comment was to someone who was born overseas. The rules are the same for everyone, before I became a citizen I had to folow the same rules as anyone else when I got help while studying. They are always going to bend the rules in extreem situations whether you have just immigrated or you were born here.
sorry .....but clearly it is not a fair system ...

I am happy with my government and I am not going to bag them ...I was born in the luckiest country in the world and and very proud ..my Grandfathers fought in wars for this country and I am from Torres Straight Herritage ...I am a proud Aussie !! and if your offended cause I said people who are born here are "our won " then sorry honey ...build a bridge cause that is the honest truth ...they are our own ..they dont need to treat anyone as a lesser perosn ..but if your born here ..you are our own ...as hard as that is for you to hear ...it is just the way it is !! ...I am appreciative you cotribute and dont just come over and go on benifits ...but there are some who stufggle to get the benifit in the first place ...and they were born here !!

I actually dont begrudge giveng them money and shelter and a chance at a new life ...but if they get that chance then so should those who were born here !!

Posted by: My*LiL*X
*Just~Perfectx2*
No Aboriginal ppl DO NOT get extra money, just to clear that up!! we get exactly the same as everyone else does!! They do have their own health care but it's run by the government so it's just like going to a public doctor that bulk bills and we DO NOT get first preference on any waitlist or anything like that.....
I do emergency foster care work for Aboriginal children and it's so rewarding, i feel as though i'm giving back to the community plus i do volunteer work at a local school with a large population of Indigenous children.
You should look into foster care, you can do emergency work which is sometimes just overnight or a few days!!

Thankyou for clearing that up about the payments. I have been a single mother myself so i do know how hard it is to do it on your own. i never had public housing and i never tried because i knew ho wlong the lists where so i worked nights to make ends meat! I think your doing a fantasic job!

I will be looking into foster. I have been saying i want to do it for years!! So maybe i should just jump in and do it. My mum is a foster carer and one of her kids she had years ago who is an aborigional is the nicest boy i have EVER met! not to mention good looking! LOL... Even know he is 16 he still comes and stays with Mum as he is friends with my younger sister. I cant wait to haev that experiance of an extended family as such.

Ok well now we have that sorted im just going to say again that i agree the system is not fair in some ways... i hope that your house will come soon as even though you are making it work why should you miss out on something that is there for you!

Good luck with it all.

I am happy with my government and I am not going to bag them ...I was born in the luckiest country in the world and and very proud ..my Grandfathers fought in wars for this country and I am from Torres Straight Herritage ...I am a proud Aussie !! and if your offended cause I said people who are born here are "our won " then sorry honey ...build a bridge cause that is the honest truth ...they are our own ..they dont need to treat anyone as a lesser perosn ..but if your born here ..you are our own ...as hard as that is for you to hear ...it is just the way it is !! ...I am appreciative you cotribute and dont just come over and go on benifits ...but there are some who stufggle to get the benifit in the first place ...and they were born here !!

I actually dont begrudge giveng them money and shelter and a chance at a new life ...but if they get that chance then so should those who were born here !!

My Grandfather fought for this country too, and New Zealand. It's very sad that there are still opinions like yours out there. Racism will never go away. You need to learn some tolerance, I may be an Aussie/Kiwi, but I am just as important and equal as anyone who lives here.
[Edited on 23/02/2010]
Posted by: Bungie
My Grandfather fought for this country too, and New Zealand. It's very sad that there are still opinions like yours out there. Racism will never go away. You need to learn some tolerance, I may be an Aussie/Kiwi, but I am just as important and equal as anyone who lives here.
holy hell I wish you would open your eyes and read what I am saying ....

blah ..I am going to bed ..your anoying the snot out of me !!

No Aboriginal ppl DO NOT get extra money, just to clear that up!! we get exactly the same as everyone else does!!

If that is the case (which im NOT doubting you), then why on every single bloody form from centrelink, do they ask if you are of "aboriginal or torres strait islander decent?". That is what annoys the sh!t out of me. What the hell does that have to do with anything, especially, if like you say, aboriginal and islander people get the same benefits?
I was just about to ask the same as spunkbubble. With options like abstudy, there must be a difference.

Eve75

Like it or lump it, that is the way things roll....

Does someone deserve something over another just because they were born in this lucky country or because they served under her flag???

IMO, sh it yes, but I don't get a say like every other bugger in this country.... things are the way they are.

I think Aussies should look after Aussies first,and by that I mean those born here, raised here, or those that become citizens of our fine country. I don't think it makes me racist btw, patriotic and caring of my culture,and my country yes....

I don't much care what anyone else thinks in opposition tbh.
i just wanted to say on the topic of benefits that there is a difference. aborigines (within certain guidelines) are entitled to much lower interest rates on home loans etc so to me this would be a difference?
spunkbubble''''''''smamma

I dont know why these forms ask that question, why dont you ask centrelink!!!!!

I guarantee you that we DO NOT get any extra money!!

Posted by: spunkbubble''''''''smamma
No Aboriginal ppl DO NOT get extra money, just to clear that up!! we get exactly the same as everyone else does!!

If that is the case (which im NOT doubting you), then why on every single bloody form from centrelink, do they ask if you are of "aboriginal or torres strait islander decent?". That is what annoys the **** out of me. What the hell does that have to do with anything, especially, if like you say, aboriginal and islander people get the same benefits?

I can't say for certain as I've never worked for Centrelink, but having worked for other govy depts we were often required to report on EEO stats, hence the need to ask the question. It had no bearing on the actual purpose of filling out the form - it was just data collected to report on for bureaucratic purposes.
myfairyprincess

There is a waitlist for these loans and you have to be working and earning a decent income with pretty high re-payments!! There's about a 2 - 3 year waitlist because of the Australian economy.
Sign in to follow this topic