Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. what the hell is going on in Australia?????

what the hell is going on in Australia????? Rss

SO.....i was dropping my son off at daycare on Monday morning and started to have a chat with one of the other mums there, she told me that she just got offered a department of housing place etc etc, I asked her how long she was on the list and she said that she's been on the waitlist for around 9 months and she was pretty happy cause she's only been in Australia for 18 months with a 12 month old son....i was like, WTF....I've been on the dept of housing waitlist for like 3 years and i know of other struggling families that have been on the list for over 6 yrs and yep NOTHING!!
Then i went into centrelink to see someone about my childcare benefit and there was a man next to me that just got his Australian citizenship last Friday and he was in there first thing Monday morning to apply for unemployment benefits...he couldnt speak a word or English and had an interpreter.
Just letting you all know that i'm not in any way a racist person and have nothing against these people but i do not understand what the government is doing and why should the tax payers be paying for these people???
I'm a single mum with a 2.5 year old. I study part time at TAFE to become a Teachers Aide plus i work 3 days per week at a school and volunteer the other 2 days at another school!! i work bloody hard and if i didnt there is no way i would be able to afford private rent + groceries + childcare + bills etc...
I'm just wondering "what about the Australians"
I know some ppl may not agree with what i am saying but i'm just losing faith in our government and starting to dislike this country!!
Plus i also do emergency foster care, so i'm not lazy and i give back big time to the community!! Grrrr just feeling really angry!!
I agree 100%
It is BS!!!!

Posted by: My*LiL*X

The people you have mentioned in your post are Australians, the one that was naturalised and the one who got the housing commission house before you. They may not be white or speak fluent English, but in legal terms, they are citizens of this country and are entitled to all the benefits you and I are. The lady you feel injustly towards may have received her housing commission house before you because she was less fortunate then yourself, her situation was deemed of greater need than yours. I think we are lucky that in this country we look after those less fortunate then ourselves, its what you do in a society.
Im with you %100 also! Just total crap! We really need to look after the Aussies first!
Posted by: Michelle 25
I agree 100%
It is BS!!!!

why?
Posted by: bridie-jo
Posted by: My*LiL*X

The people you have mentioned in your post are Australians, the one that was naturalised and the one who got the housing commission house before you. They may not be white or speak fluent English, but in legal terms, they are citizens of this country and are entitled to all the benefits you and I are. The lady you feel injustly towards may have received her housing commission house before you because she was less fortunate then yourself, her situation was deemed of greater need than yours. I think we are lucky that in this country we look after those less fortunate then ourselves, its what you do in a society.

I agree with Bridie-jo.

You do not know others situation and going by your situation it seems as though this particular person was worse off than you, It's like the Emergency Room of a Hospital- the more serious cases get seen first regardless of how long others have been waiting IYKWIM?

Posted by: Michelle 25
I agree 100%
It is BS!!!!

why?

Because thats her opinion and mine! Yes they might now be 'Australians' but they sure aint Aussies and i dont understand why the government hands out all this money to these people when there are people in our country crying out for help!!!

bridie-jo....I have nothing against these ppl as i said but i cannot understand why the government allows people who become Australian citizens to claim benefits straight away!! i think that if ppl are becoming citizens they should have jobs and be able to support themselves!!
Also the lady that got offered government housing cannot be too hard off, she drives a nice car (that i know belongs to her) and she's very well dressed with designer clothes, jewelry and watches...also her little boy is always wearing the best of the best too.....
Do you mean this government? The Rudd Government? I was not aware that any laws had been changed in regards to welfare payments since introduced by Howard.
Do you mean this government? The Rudd Government? I was not aware that any laws had been changed in regards to welfare payments since introduced by Howard.

The goverment is always the same no matter what d ickhead is in charge! Always getting it wrong
Posted by: *Just~Perfectx2*
but they sure aint Aussies

An Aussie is someone who happens to just live on this patch of dirt. No better or worse than any other human being on the planet. It is only an accident of atoms that you or I weren't born in an Indian toilet.
Sign in to follow this topic