Huggies Forum

School snacks and lunches Rss

My dd's are pretty good eaters so no concerns about what i will pack! I was a bit shocked when i heard how strict it had gotten, it is a good thing though.

Thankyou!
Charlie's school is really strict, as they have a few high allergy children that attend. They even ask that during the week, your kids don't eat peanut butter or nutella in the morning before school! We are also not allowed any egg products, they limit dairy products to a few brands, and we aren't allowed to send her with chocolate, lollies, chips or any junk of any kind. They sent out a booklet with a bunch of brands we can or can't use, and as a rule anything that say's it contains traces of nuts etc isn't allowed. It limits severely what I can pack for Charlie, but it's worth it. Being an allergy sufferer, I really sympathise with the families of the allergy kids. And it's great the school did so much research into the foods and actually sent out the booklet. Saves us from having to check labels all the time. The only thing that annoys Charlie is she can't take cruskits, which is her favorite bikkie. LOL

Gosh Katey that is super strict!!!

I have one good eater (DS2) and one picky eater (DS1) .. I would struggle to pack anything that DS1 would eat based on those outlines :S
when ds1 first started school last year, i made sure i was packing no foods high in sugar ect but he would pass out after school, so i had a talk with his dr and she told me to send him to school with something that had a bit more sugar in it like a milky way, jam tarts ect. as starting school could take alot of some children. but now he is fine, and we no longer have that issue.

Melissa, Lachlan 6 & Andrew 3

I think all these rules are absolutely rediculous! Except the no nut policy, of course. If I want to send my DD to school with a treat, I will. There's no harm in having a muffin or chocolate along with a healthy lunch. This is just way over the top. We are the parents here, not the school.
True Bungi, but at the end of the day, your kids can eat what they want when they are at home, they don't need to take it to school if the school asks you not to!
Jo, it is very strict, but thank goodness for the booklet. I can email you a copy if you're interested.

Katey, I would love a copy of the booklet, if you'd be happy to send it.
I am the director of a preschool, and we are resonably strict - no nuts, chips, water only etc. The way I see it is that these children need to be attentive, have concentration, and be able to cope with a busy day. Our 5.5hr days at preschool are very busy and there is plenty of time for all of the other kinds of foods at home.
Part of our role as educators is to promote healthy eating habits and good food choices just as it is to teach road and traffic safety.
Michelle
Anyone who would like a copy of the booklet, just PM me your email address and I'll send it in the next few days. Jon is going to show me how to scan it cause I'm a little stupid. LOL

Posted by: Bungie
I think all these rules are absolutely rediculous! Except the no nut policy, of course. If I want to send my DD to school with a treat, I will. There's no harm in having a muffin or chocolate along with a healthy lunch. This is just way over the top. We are the parents here, not the school.

That's what I thought at first but now I love it. It stops kids sharing lunches and they all afternoon and weekend to have treats. Could you imagine if your daughter was the only one with a treat in her lunch box? I love the idea!

My DD's Pre School is the same.

No juice, sweets etc.

At first I thought "oh no! what am I going to pack!"
LOL.
But now its good.
She has sultanas, rice cakes (the flavoured one's), yoghurt, Apple/banana/grapes, cheese, a sandwich. And only water.

As above said, they get to have treats at home and on weekend, so its good that they dont have it at school too.

Sign in to follow this topic