Huggies Forum

School snacks and lunches Rss

What are kids allowed to take and not take? I know they are not allowed anything with nuts. Just something a friend told me today shocked me... It's been a while since i've been at school lol.
At my DD's preschool they have a healthy food policy, only fruit for morning tea and sandwhiches or healthy stuff for lunch plus only water as a drink. I take that to mean no chocolate biscuits, chips, cakes, overly sweet or salty foods.

They have a no nuts and no egg policy as one of the kids is allergic to eggs.

The first week you could pack both morning tea and lunch and by the second week they said its fruit only for morning tea.
Depends on the school policy (it differs from school to school). The schools my kids go to (1 high school, 1 prep/primary) do not have the no nut policy in place.

We have a healthy food policy, no chips, chocolate, lollies, soft drinks. Tuckshop also has healthy options to choose from.

My DD2 (in prep) has a 'brain' break snack for 10 mins early morning where they can only eat fruit or cheese and then the other 2 lunches are whatever falls within the healthy food guidelines (DD has a sandwhich or wrap of some kind, a home cooked slice or cake and more fruit or yoghurt etc).
DD has just started pre school and they to have a healthy food policy.
No chips, lollies, cakes or things with excess sugar and no nuts
[Edited on 19/02/2010]

DD1's Kinder also has a healthy eating policy, and they are only allowed water to drink. They also have a no nut policy.
WOW, i knew that there was some healthy food policy in place i just didn't know to what extent. It is good to see!! Just curious do they police this?
DS just started school this year & they have a strict nut & egg free policy due to severe allegies.
I thought all schools had a nut free policy.
They also encourage a healthy lunch box & will implement "fruito" later in the year where the kids get to eat fruit in class in the morning before recess. They are also allowed to have a bottle of water only at their desk to drink in class

Posted by: Jaz mummy
WOW, i knew that there was some healthy food policy in place i just didn't know to what extent. It is good to see!! Just curious do they police this?

They do police lunches at my DD's prep, they send reminders home (via the newsletter or a personal letter) about what is ok and what is not in school lunches) and they will tell kids at each lunchtime what they need to eat 1st before they have snacks like cakes etc.
Very interesting, thankyou. ARe they allowed to take this like tuna?
Ds1 is in prep and his is more relaxed. It's no nuts, no chocolate, chips, soft drinks etc but he can have plain biscuits, museli bars etc

ds2 is in kindy and they are more strict ( they also have fridges however). They can't have any of the above plus no biscuits and pre packaged snack foods. Lucky for me ds2 is a fantastic eater so I have so much fun with his lunch including cheese and crackers, chopped fruits, popcorn, boiled eggs, yoghurts, sandwiches, homemade banana muffins etc
Posted by: Jaz mummy

We where told by DD's kinder that anything that did not fit into the healthy food policy would be sent home and the kinder would provide fruit for the child at a cost to the parents

Yep tuna is fine in DD's school, I just put it in a container rather than in a tin.
Sign in to follow this topic