Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Trying really hard to make a decision, can't decide what's right.

Trying really hard to make a decision, can't decide what's right. Rss

I guess thats it Chiliwoman it depends what people are into if they are happy to do things outdoors go on day trips etc and not going to the sort of places you mentioned (play centre etc) then that is somewhere they might enjoy.

We do a lot of that stuff as a family now but have decided that NT is not for us right now unless DH gets posted there we will not request it lol.

I was just trying to give her other peoples views of how they found it uo there.

And definatly anywhere can have a drinking culture but some people found it was a way to fit in at Tindal. Some of them didnt have families or were talking about interacting with other adults was more about drinking then other places. Not that thats what they do with their kids

Jess 2005, Steph 2006, Chris 2008 and Olly 2009

Yeahie - It depends on your family size i guess 1 friend got posted out of Tindal last year and said it added up to costing more even with the allowances but they were a family of 6 so 4 kids (1 under 1 so not eating much) and got the same allowances as someone with just a partner and no kids so for them it ended up more expensive after larger electricity bills from all the aircons in the house and groceries costing more

so it would just depend really.

If you have friends going there that would definalty be good i recon like you said you can support eachother, I dont know anyone up there but then again i didnt know anyone here (Williamtown) either but have met some lovely RAAF wives already but that would definalty make it an easier transition

Just do what feel right i guess are you able to go up there and have a look around? see if you like the area

Hey, my DH is posted to Williamtown too! Small world! What section is your DH in?
Posted by: JSCnO
have decided that NT is not for us right now unless DH gets posted there we will not request it lol.

haha
i understand that sentiment. I just said to my DH when this new posting to Kakadu came thro, that's it for us, we have done our time with remote locations for this company & they owe us next year.

Next stop - after kakadu - melbourne!!

Ok, so yes, cost of living is more expensive - about 15% more for groceries, yes, our electricity is more, but we are careful running our a/c's & never use the dryer. We only have it on a couple of hours a day & the last bill was only $250 & that was thro the wet. So i dont think that it is incredibly more expensive.

As for jobs, i am not really sure about Katherine, but i would imagine it to be similar to darwin. We actually have shops up here that are closed with signs in the window saying "closed due to lack of staff"... they only open the hours that they can. Petrol is more expensive, but again, the towns are so small that we dont use anywhere near the amount of petrol that we did at home, so no real change there. The only difference is that we do more day tripping on weekends & stuff, so that is where we get slugged, but we dont care. On all day trips we pack the esky, which we would never do at home, we would have eaten somewhere along the way, but here, there is nowhere along the way, so you save there.

It is a hard decision to move so far away from family, but you can do it if you really want to.

Posted by: Yeahie
Hey, my DH is posted to Williamtown too! Small world! What section is your DH in?

Lol definatly small world. Dh is at the hospital he is a supplier so working in the stores. Where is your DH?

hey where'd my post go??

cant even remember what i wrote now sad
had to do the school pick up!

ETA:
hmm now its there, whats going on??
**running off for cover**

[Edited on 17/02/2010]
He's at 76SQN as an ATECH.
Cool. Definatly a small world would have been funny if they were in the same squadron

Good luck deciding where you want to go next when is his next posting? I like the area here and at this stage would like to stay here as long as possible

Well, we've been here for 4.5 years. He thinks he could get another 3.5 years out of this posting, but then that would put us in the same situation as now. Except the kids will be older, have friends at school and all the outside activities that go with it. If we were to go now they won't know what they're missing in the way of extra curricular activities. Then we can try to get back here and stay a while, maybe till DH gets out. Still don't know though, it's just such a hard choice. We like the area too, we were in Raymo but now we're out Maitland way.

Chilliwoman, that's very promising about the shop that was closed due to lack of workers. My friend moved away from there 3 years ago, contacted her old boss today and he pretty much said 'when can you start, you can have as many or as few hours as you like.'
We are in Raymo at the moment was there a reason you moved from here?

The main reason was because DHA wouldn't fix our fences to make them secure (they were falling down on 3 out of 4 sides) and we got broken into because they wouldn't put security screens on our windows. The guys broke in through DD1s bedroom window, so we had had enough. We also wanted to come here because of more job opportunities and closer to friends/support but the break-in was the biggest reason.

What do you know as soon as we moved out they fixed all the fences and put security screens on all the windows. That's DHA for you.
That definatly sounds like DHA but really sux they didnt fix it for you especially after a break in. I've heard of a few break ins around this area

Thanksfully we have an almost brand new property that has all those things installed. Plus most of the windows are double glazed so harder to get through 2 sets of windows as well as the security screens

Sign in to follow this topic