Huggies Forum

Name shortening Rss

Does it bother you if people shorten your child/s name?

I always refer to other children by the name that their parents call them (except if it is a personal NN) or ask the parents what they prefer.

People are always shortening DS's name and it annoys me. I love the name we have chosen for DS and wish everyone would use it.
That's a tough one. I prefer to call dd1 by her full name as that suits her. Also kids have always tried her full name. Dd2 answers to her full name, but we use a shorter version except when we need her attention. Her nick name is the common shorting of her name. Also it's what the little kids can say. Dd1's name can be shortened but i'll leave it up to her, or her friends.
Not really. I have Madisyn and Emilie but I introduce them as Maddi and Emmy (or Emilie) to people and then normally have to tell them what they stand for. But saying that they're not always called their nickname so their full name gets used too.

If it's not a child I know I call them by the name they're introduced to me as unless told otherwise.

But if Maddi was never called Madisyn then it would bug me, same with Em, because I like their full names.

my youngest is emily and she gets called anything from emmy, em, emmy g (her middle name is grace) or emily.. It doesnt really both me much

but my eldest daughter is mia, and it annoys me so much that some people call her mimi.. mimi reminds me of that lady that wore blue eyeshadow onthe drew carey show, not an ideal nickname for my daughter..

I chose mia cause it wasn't a name that could be shortened into anything, but emily i loved and realised that people would shorten it anyway..

maybe jsut correct them when they say his shortened name

My DS is Archer, he gets Archie (which I think is cute) He was going to be an Archie but DF and I decided on Archer. I absolutely hate when he gets "Arch" it annoys the life out of me!

I know that whatever name a child has there will always be someone who shortens it. Mimi also reminds me of the Drew Carey character, definitely not nice for your DD.

DS will probably want his name shortened when he gets older but then it will be his choice. I have politely corrected a few people or dropped a few hints but it hasn't sunk in to some. Oh well, what can you do, lol???

I always refer to other peoples children by the name they were introduced to me as, or ask the parents (or child) what they prefer.

My DS1 is always called by his full name, DS2 is often called by a contraction of his name, but sometimes the full name. I always introduce them both using their full names though, because I like them (obviously lol).

In answer to your question, I dislike people shortening DS1's name (because I don't like any of the contractions), but don't mind people shortening DS2's.

ETA I don't like DS2's name shortened to any but the version we use. I'm fussy. If anyone uses a version of my sons' names that I don't like, I just tell them outright 'please call him ...'. I've given up being subtle. Some people just don't get it.
[Edited on 14/02/2010]
With DD1 it does bother me and i am quick to correct them if they shorten it.
DD is Victoria and i only want her to be called Victoria until SHE is old enough to tell people if she wants it shortend. If someone calls her Vic or Vicki i quickly correct them.
We do call her Toria as thats what she calls herself and we have given permission to one of there uncles n aunties to call her vicki lizzie.

With our DD2 her name is Matilda and she gets Tilda or sometimes Tilly..
For saome reason shorteninmg her name is ok. We do mainly call her Tilda Kay as thats what her sister calls her.

With other kids i will call them by there proper name until i know its ok to adreess them by a nickname or shortening.

it sure does. Especially when people, family included use dh and my "special" names for our kids.

i''''m baking a baby

Posted by: Mumto2beauties
With DD1 it does bother me and i am quick to correct them if they shorten it.
DD is Victoria and i only want her to be called Victoria until SHE is old enough to tell people if she wants it shortend. If someone calls her Vic or Vicki i quickly correct them.
We do call her Toria as thats what she calls herself and we have given permission to one of there uncles n aunties to call her vicki lizzie.

With our DD2 her name is Matilda and she gets Tilda or sometimes Tilly..
For saome reason shorteninmg her name is ok. We do mainly call her Tilda Kay as thats what her sister calls her.

With other kids i will call them by there proper name until i know its ok to adreess them by a nickname or shortening.

It was funny I was going to ask you what you called your dd1. She's the only other one I know. I wonder if we shorten the second ones name because the older on has to learn it? Like Victoria is a big word. Funny Veronica is dd1's name and other then Vodka when they're still little all kids attempt the full name.
Posted by: loveablecherubs
it sure does. Especially when people, family included use dh and my "special" names for our kids.

i agree we call my eldest bubba and my youngest ems and my inlaws called my girls that.. grr it just irked me.. silly i know, it shouldnt bother me but it does a little!

my eldest daughter refers to herself as cheeky-mia whenever i call out bubba or mia, she comes up and says "no mummy cheeky-mia" and points to her chest!! too cute.. lol my eldest calls our youngest emmy-baby!

I just figured out why it annoys me. You spend so much time thinking about what to name your child before they are born and then the name doesn't get used by all.

I'm not normally hung up about this but I think today pushed it to the surface. We bumped into people who we hadn't seen in years and introduced DS (by his full name), they in turn said hello to him by the shortened version.
Sign in to follow this topic