Huggies Forum

Is this acceptable???? Rss

No.. we had no warning. I dropped him off one day and noticed a big glass terrarium (or whatever they are called) and just assumed there was some lizards in there then the next day it had like a 2m long snake in it... so i thought it mustve just been there for the kids to look at... then that afternoon they had photos up of all the kids touching the snake and holding its tail etc..

OMG are you flippin kidding 2m long..Here I was thinking it was a little foot long snake and thinking that was inappropriate but OMG that is beyond hideous in a child care centre. Gee I would be contacting child services (DOCS) and asking what thier take on the situation is. Telling parents that they would be introducing lizards into the centre and then getting a large snake that is not on. Especially in an area prone to dangerous snakes. *shakes head* what the F*** were they thinking?

Cheers NEss

Posted by: Beck_JaydenEllaBrody
Posted by: gkn
I don't see the problem, I'm sure it's a harmless snake. He's old enough to learn that he can play with a pet snake and not a wild one. Just like if they had a pet rat or mouse at daycare, you would teach him not to touch a wild one. Personally I wouldn't want a pet snake thought, lol.

First of all the daycare centre has children as young as 6 weeks..Wheather they take the snake in there, i dont know. But Jayden has no mental capacity to know that some snakes are bad and some are good... to him snakes are snakes and now they are all awesome to him!!. and Ella who is 2 has patted this snake... so does she have the mental capacity to know the difference??? I think what makes this even worse is that we live in outback qld where snakes are everywhere... I have even seen a brown snake in the carpark of the grocery store!! 95% of the snakes we get in our area would kill my children within an hour... so i dont see how keeping a snake at daycare is necessary!

I highly doubt they would allow 6 week olds to play with a snake. It seems you have already made up your mind about it before asking other peoples opinions, so make a complaint.

Most likely it's just an educational pet for the older kids under supervision, and I think it's a great idea. My DD has had cats, rats and a dog since birth and she's great with them. Animals are a great thing for kids to been around.
Posted by: gkn
I highly doubt they would allow 6 week olds to play with a snake. It seems you have already made up your mind about it before asking other peoples opinions, so make a complaint.

Most likely it's just an educational pet for the older kids under supervision, and I think it's a great idea. My DD has had cats, rats and a dog since birth and she's great with them. Animals are a great thing for kids to been around.

Pets under supervision are of course great sources of education, but there's a big difference IMO between a 2m long snake and a guinea pig or rabbit or cat etc.
I remember we had a pet rabbit at kindy who we were all responsible for on weekends - we would take it in turns to bring it home etc. But to have a big snake in the vicinity of young kids is not really a great idea.

I can totally see that there would be some great educational things coming from it, but I can also see, even more so, the cause for concern.

Beck, I'd definitely be having a chat to the director.. I wouldn't be happy with it either.

If you see a problem make a complaint. But first think would you still a problem if instead of a snake it was a spider say a huntman. I grew up in rural QLD and I have seen what happen when people are so terrified of snakes. in one case a women drove the car off the road killing a person because she was so scared of the snake on the road. provided there is proper education to go along with the snake than I can only see it to be a good thing. BTW my daughter held a snake a 12 months and I have no problem with it.
Posted by: JennaJ
Pets under supervision are of course great sources of education, but there's a big difference IMO between a 2m long snake and a guinea pig or rabbit or cat etc.
I remember we had a pet rabbit at kindy who we were all responsible for on weekends - we would take it in turns to bring it home etc. But to have a big snake in the vicinity of young kids is not really a great idea.

I can totally see that there would be some great educational things coming from it, but I can also see, even more so, the cause for concern.

Beck, I'd definitely be having a chat to the director.. I wouldn't be happy with it either.

I understand what you are saying, but as the op says someone holds the snake and lets the kids touch it, I don't see what the worry is. I think is a really good idea to educate kids about native animals, especially considering they live in an area where snakes are common. Many people have dogs as pets, a dog could do a lot more dmage than a snake (assuming this is a non venomous snake, which surely it is).

As long as it's all supervised and the handler knows what he/she is doing, then there's alot more dangerous things in the world to worry about. Don't you have to have a license to have a snake anyway? Which would require knowledge about them.
I would be making a complaint! We wont even let N paly with the fake snakes so we wont confuse him. How is a 3 year old supposed to tell the difference between a pet snake and a wild snkae? At that age its not acceptable, fair enough if they atre 10 but they are 3!!

And Yes I would be making a complaint if it was a spider/huntsman. Spiders are dangerous as well and like snakes we tell N they are dangerous and to not touch/stay away.
gkn - I think, and it seems a lot of others do to, that the problem is kids that young can't differentiate between a pet snake and a snake they see out in the 'wild' IYKWIM
They would see a snake and think, "Oh well, it's ok for me to touch the snake at kindy/pre-school/child care (whatever it is), so I'm sure it'd be ok if I touched this one."

I think that's one of the main issues here..

TBH I'd be excited, I'm a bit of a snake lover. I am sure that the snake is properly supervised, I'd be concerned about the kids hurting it otherwise. wink
I value my kids lives... I just dont think its worth risking there lives for the 'educational purposes' they get from this snake (that they could still learn without handling it) and obviously they arent teaching them the dangers because Jayden is going on and on about touching the snakes and he wants to touch it again... Maybe I wouldnt be AS concerned if we lived in a city where i didnt see snakes around.. but the fact is that we see them all the time... our property would no doubt be ridden with brown snakes. Now knowing that my son gets a kick out of touching them, it has really got me worried.

Yep, I would definitely have a problem with my childs daycare having a pet snake if she went to daycare. I don't have issues with parents having pet snakes if that is what they choose to do in their own home and I have no problems with taking DD to see a friends snake but would not be comfortable with them getting the snake out with her there and she would freak anyway. I think kids need to learn a healthy respect for snakes but I think that having one at daycare is nuts personally. DD starts 3 yr old kindy next week and her kindy has a pet budgie, now that is a much more sensible pet. I agree with Ness, I'm not sure how old Jayden is but I would say that 3-4 yr olds wouldn't fully grasp the concept that pet snakes are ok but wild ones aren't unless they have been brought up around snakes and it's been drilled into them from a very early age.

I personally would have a problem with my child being around a snake, I mean they arent exactly a 'pet' but each to there own. If your really not happy definitley go to the Manager and raise your concerns. Hope you can sort it out asap.

Sign in to follow this topic