Huggies Forum

Is this acceptable???? Rss

Having a pet snake at the daycare centre???

They got one at jayden & Ellas daycare centre last week and i dont like it. We had a brown snake in our yard 2 weeks ago and we went through the speech of telling the kids snakes are bad and now they have a pet snake at daycare that they pull out and let the kids touch and pat and now jayden thinks snakes are awesome and you can go up and touch them... I'm so annoyed!!! or am i just being over protective?

EWWWW Beck, no frikken way would I like that, especially after all the sh!t I went through with Cooper with him being petrified of snakes, no way!

Nicky- I was actually thinking of cooper when i first saw they had it there!!!

i would be checking with daycare board or whatever it is called. Personally i think it is odd and wrong

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.c

I don't see the problem, I'm sure it's a harmless snake. He's old enough to learn that he can play with a pet snake and not a wild one. Just like if they had a pet rat or mouse at daycare, you would teach him not to touch a wild one. Personally I wouldn't want a pet snake thought, lol.
Posted by: Beck_JaydenEllaBrody
Nicky- I was actually thinking of cooper when i first saw they had it there!!!

As soon as i read your question Beck, all those nights with Coops came flooding back to me, he never had a problem with snakes till he saw real ones at the zoo so this could be an issue with some kids. I personally would hate it.

What the hell happened to haveing goldfish as class pets. I wouldnt be happy and I would be taking my concerns to the director. If enough parents complain surely they will have to remove the snake. And no I dont think 3 - 4yr olds have the mental capacity to learn and remember that class snakes are ok but wild ones arnt. Gosh we teach the kids from a young age that Nannas dog is ok to pat but you cant walk up to any strange dog and pat it yet up until they are 5-6 they still want to go pat all dogs they see and I have to pull them up and remind them about the rules. I think this could teach the kids a potentially dangerous way of thinking about snakes

Cheers Ness

My SIL has a pet snake and my DD has grown up around it and we haven't had a problem but that's us. In a daycare centre I think it becomes a different issue. Snakes can be very unpredictable pets and animals regardless of how often they are handled so I would prob say something to the diretor if it was me even though I know my DD is ok around them. Kudos to the daycare centre for wanting to incoporate something a little different but I think maybe they took it a little far. Children get excited enough with pet fish there really is no need for them to have gotten a pet snake.

Hayley''s going to be a big sister smile EDD 3.3.10

Posted by: gkn
I don't see the problem, I'm sure it's a harmless snake. He's old enough to learn that he can play with a pet snake and not a wild one. Just like if they had a pet rat or mouse at daycare, you would teach him not to touch a wild one. Personally I wouldn't want a pet snake thought, lol.

First of all the daycare centre has children as young as 6 weeks..Wheather they take the snake in there, i dont know. But Jayden has no mental capacity to know that some snakes are bad and some are good... to him snakes are snakes and now they are all awesome to him!!. and Ella who is 2 has patted this snake... so does she have the mental capacity to know the difference??? I think what makes this even worse is that we live in outback qld where snakes are everywhere... I have even seen a brown snake in the carpark of the grocery store!! 95% of the snakes we get in our area would kill my children within an hour... so i dont see how keeping a snake at daycare is necessary!

You obviously feel very strongly about this and it sounds as though you are really worried by it so definately talk to your daycare centres director about it. We used to live in a rural area and I was so paranoid about snakes that I used to take my cattle dog with me even if it was just a quick trip out to put the washing on the line lol. I would definately say something to the director about how your children aren't distinguishing any difference between wild snakes and pet snakes as that is a worry esp where you live. I'm actually surprised the daycare centre didn't have to send out a letter asking for parental permission to buy the pet snake in the first place..?

Hayley''s going to be a big sister smile EDD 3.3.10

Honestly I would be taking it up with the director and sharing your concerns with her, I had a reptile zoo come to my centre and visit my pre-school class but he was only with the pre-schoolers and it was more of an education on what to do if you see a snake blah blah as these kids were off to school in an area that snakes were very common in the play grounds (I think on average of 6 or 7 times a season I would be calling the reptile and wildlife out to remove them from one of the rooms ewwwee), I also think the key is with the older kids that they have to be constantly reinforced that snakes CAN be dangerous no matter how they are raised (ie in captivity or wild) and all snakes have the capacity to harm...
I agree with you that there is no way a 2yr old can understand the varience between pet and preditor

I fully believe that educating kids on different dangers (be it dogs, snakes, what ever) is very important but again it needs to be done where the children are taught that there is a danger my sons centre have turtles and I said to the staff please ensure he does not touch it unsupervised and they were like they wont hurt you... ok it wont kill him but a turtle (that size) can take his finger off.... and the way sdome of the kids terrorise the animals I would want to bite too if I were the animal

It is the same as when I was growing up we had guns on the property and so from a very early age we were shown the guns and saw them be used and even shown how to use them, but we were drilled about the dangers and that did not mean they would be left laying around or ever loaded for us to play with if you know what I mean...

Leigha''s little men smile

I would be like you not liking it.
Did they tell you before they got the snake that they were getting one?

Sign in to follow this topic