Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Just out of interest? Rss

I don't want to start a huge debate over this but something I've noticed over the years since having my kids (my oldest is nearly 15yrs old) is that it seems to me that children who are allowed to play in the dirt/mud whatever and 'get dirty', aren't kept totally spotless all the time don't tend to get as sick as other kids that are never allowed to 'get dirty' and are kept in an almost germ free environment the majority of the time.

I know some kids are just more prone to catching every single bug that comes past but it seems to be a huge coincidence to me that as we've moved away from just letting kids be kids, they seem to be sicker or catching bugs heaps easier than they used to IYKWIM? The rate of childhood allergies has dramatically increased these days too. When I was a kid, and even when DD's were toddlers, the occurence of children with peanut/egg/etc allergies was nowhere near as prevalent as it is these days.

Add to that the higher rate of kids in childcare due to the ever increasing costs of living and both parents needing to work to support their families, and you have a perfect breeding ground for the spread of germs and since the kids have no natural immunity built up from being exposed to germs on a regular basis, and the vicious cycle just goes round and round.

Now I don't let my kids live in a filthy environment but I do let them get out in the yard and play in the dirt etc, and I let them try foods as early as possible while watching for any reactions, and they are rarely sick. Neither of the boys has been to daycare yet (DS1 is 14mths, DS2 is 3mths) but my DD's were at daycare from an early age and were the odd couple of kids that were rarely sick, yet other kids I knew were always kept 'clean' and never allowed to 'get dirty' and were sick more times than not.

Coincidence or am I just imagining it?

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

I was pretty anal with DS in the not being 'dirty' thing and he was never sick, now that he is older I have eased up a hell of alot but still cringe at certain things and jump up to take things off him and he still is very rarely sick.

However, there is a little girl a bit younger than DS that I know and she probably is raised in an environment much like yours but she always always always has a running nose/cough.
I don't think it's a coincidence, keeping a kid excessively clean doesn't allow them to build up a good immune system.

But on the allergy side of things, I think it's more that we have more knowledge of allergies and itollerances now than we did when we were kids. That's why it seem like there are more. I talking about the more subtle alleries or intollerances, like the delayed reactions and the digestive problems. They were treated as other things a few years ago. Like chronic fatigue and IBS when, in fact, the person was intollerant or allergic to something they were eating. These things can be very difficult to diagnose.
You do know that there are studies that PROVE that kids who are kept in "hygiene bubbles" and never allowed to get dirty and whose parents use lots of disinfectant and the hand sanitisers are sicker than kids who aren't?

It makes perfect sense to me, but for some reason ALL germs are seen as bad so we want to kill them all BUT the thing is that some of those germs are actually there to protect us and to make sure that we don't get sick. I think the cleaners that claim they kill 99.9% of germs need to be banned. Like you my kids don't live in filth but if they put dirt in their mouths or they forget to wash their hands before they touch their food then it's not that big a deal. We've stopped using all antibacterial soaps and only use hand sanitisers when we've been in public toilets or there is no soap available.

Yes some kids are just more prone, but I've got 'bigger' theories on that than just how 'clean' an environment they grow up in is. LOL

I know what you mean ...as kids we were always out doing something filthy and we were hardly ever sick !!

but by the same token ...if something was to come with in a 5 mtr radius of Luke it had to be sterilized and he was very rarely sick ..he had a good immune system adn was at daycare at 9 months old ...he got the odd runny nose but nothing to say he was a sickly child !!

Grace on the other hand lives in a clean environment but has had 3 colds and we are not sterizilation freaks anymore

so I dont know !! ..maybe my kids are just odd cause I completely agree with what your saying !!
this is another reason as to why there are so many more allergies now then there were 20 years ago... kids aren't getting immuned!!

You know, these days we constantly have medical research on our backs telling us parents what we should and shouldn't do with our kids and it results in us being overly cautious (not a bad thing sometimes!).

I know this is pretty off topic but nut and egg allergies for instance is HUGE compared to back 10,20,30 years ago because parents are shying away from them while pregnant, wont let their kids eat them and then the next generation is more likely to have nut and egg allergies.

Anyway back on topic. Natural 'immuning' is really good i think. Letting them get sick, let their bodies work to fight off the germs.

Cohen was sick, like really sick for the first 2 years of his life. Fast forward a year, he has had a few colds this year and hasn't ended up in hospital yet! He also seems to be growing out of his asthma.

Im not saying, go out and let the kids get sick but if more parents let kids be kids, let their bodies do what they are supposed to do then alot of kids would be better off in the long run

Okay im finished now LOL
You are right kids that arent allowed to get dirty and play outside don;t build an immune system up so they get sick more often. Its the same as kids that are kept in the one temp (heater always at a set temp in winter/air con always a at a set temp in summer). I'm not syaing you shouldnt use air con and heater but its when there in that condition 24/7. Thats my personal experience witrh kids anyway.

Denae is right about the allergies. Its the same with other things we are told not to eat while pregnant somethings yes stay away from but alot of them there is only a handful of cases a year. So your chance of catching something from cetIN food is minimal . You are more likely to have a car accident.
[Edited on 17/09/2009]
You do know that there are studies that PROVE that kids who are kept in "hygiene bubbles" and never allowed to get dirty and whose parents use lots of disinfectant and the hand sanitisers are sicker than kids who aren't?

See that's exactly what I was trying to get at. Kids need to get dirty (and no I don't mean absolutely filthy all the time) to be able to build up a good immune system. In a way I'd rather see a kid out playing in the yard, eating a bit of dirt, having a good old splash in puddles or mud and having an absolute ball, than the kids that mum has an eagle eye on all the time in case they get a speck of dirt on their clothes...it just seems to me the kids have more fun experiencing new things by getting their hands into things than those kids that aren't allowed to do it if that makes sense. I'm by no means saying the 'clean' kids don't have as much fun, but it's a different kind of fun.

My DS1 is such a typical boy ..... if he's not allowed outside through the day to get out in the garden or help daddy in the shed etc, we have world war 3!! He will stand at the back door and grunt or whinge until he's let out...after that we have a huge tantrum if we try to bring him back upstairs before he's finished playing hehehe

Posted by: Denae
I know this is pretty off topic but nut and egg allergies for instance is HUGE compared to back 10,20,30 years ago because parents are shying away from them while pregnant, wont let their kids eat them and then the next generation is more likely to have nut and egg allergies.

I was never told not to eat eggs while pregnant, I ate them. I ate peanuts too, and deli meats (heated only). I think the amounts that we are 'told' not to eat while pregnant are getting out of hand. The only thing I took seriously were the raw fish and meats.
[Edited on 17/09/2009]

That's exactly what I was trying to say but didn't word it as well LOL. I didn't eat seafood when pregnant ( don't like anything other than fish or calamari anyway so that wasn't any drama LOL), stayed away from creamy cheeses like camembert, and made sure any eggs I ate were cooked fully but other than that I never stopped eating anything that I normally would unless it really didn't agree with me eg gave me massive heartburn.

Yes medical research is a necessity but it just seems to me that all these theories on not eating certain foods etc is the main problem in the rise in allergies. Food allergies have always been around, and I highly doubt they'll ever be eradicated, but the more parents are told they can't have this and that, the more kids seem to be allergic to those foods we are all told we can't have!! If mum doesn't eat them during pregnancy of course the child is going to have no exposure to build up any immunity!

Posted by: *Nikita*
Posted by: Denae

I was never told not to eat eggs while pregnant, I ate them. I ate peanuts too, and deli meats (heated only). I think the amounts that we are 'told' not to eat while pregnant are getting out of hand. The only thing I took seriously were the raw fish and meats.
[Edited on 17/09/2009]

Not eggs while pregnant, but eggs with children/babies. They've bought the age back to 9months to give to babies now because so many parents are hesitant to give their children eggs until they are well into their toddler ages
Posted by: BenjaminandKalebs_Mummy

That's exactly what I was trying to say but didn't word it as well LOL. I didn't eat seafood when pregnant ( don't like anything other than fish or calamari anyway so that wasn't any drama LOL), stayed away from creamy cheeses like camembert, and made sure any eggs I ate were cooked fully but other than that I never stopped eating anything that I normally would unless it really didn't agree with me eg gave me massive heartburn.

Yes medical research is a necessity but it just seems to me that all these theories on not eating certain foods etc is the main problem in the rise in allergies. Food allergies have always been around, and I highly doubt they'll ever be eradicated, but the more parents are told they can't have this and that, the more kids seem to be allergic to those foods we are all told we can't have!! If mum doesn't eat them during pregnancy of course the child is going to have no exposure to build up any immunity!

haha i understood what you meant!! And i agree completely with you.

I understand that some foods are meant to be stayed away from during pregnancy for a good reason but there are others that i think are purely ridiculous!
Sign in to follow this topic