Huggies Forum

ANYONE A NURSE? Rss

Hi,

I am thinking of studying nursing and just wanted to hear from any of you that are nurses.

Is the shift work hard, especially with kids? Do you like the job?

I am looking at doing a Diploma of Nursing at Tafe, which is going to take me three years part-time. Once completed, I would be an EEN.

I would eventually like to do midwifery.

Would be great to hear your thoughts about the job/studying etc.

Leah, DD 24/05/05 DS 09/01/07 #3 due 26/06/10

Good question - I want to know too.

Dunno if I could stick people with needles tho tongue
Hi i did 2 years of my DIV1 at deakin, fell pregnant and had my first, a year later i did like a bridging course, and am now medication endorsed DIV2 nurse

It is great, although i havnt worked since having my second, i found the shift work good, i either did nights over the weekend so DH could watch our eldest or afternoon shift, as i was leaving for work DH was coming home, so we didnt have to worry about DS1

It is an amazing career, it can be heart renching, but so rewarding too

I am in the process of applying to do paramedics, it will take me roughly 6yrs to do(only able to do part time) but i think it will be great

But nursing is great, weather you go to uni and do your DIV1 or do your DIV2(sen) at tafe, they are both very rewarding

Good luck with your choice
[Edited on 19/03/2008]
Hi there

I am a RN, and have been working since 1997. I started doing shift work right at the beginning, mornings, arvo and night shifts, all days of the week, and I loved the shift work.

When I had kids, it got a little difficult. It's great that I can work weekends so that DP or other family can mind the kids, but because of childcare, I can only work certain days and morning shifts through the week... and because morning shifts start at 7, it takes a little organising the kids, because childcare doesn't start until 7. But you can always work around this. It pays to find a great employer, who will give you the shifts you need... ATM mine insists I do night shifts, but otherwise, is fairly accomodating so I can't complain too much.

I really like the job. At the moment, Im in the NICU...I have also worked as an educator for trainee EN's and in Oncology for 8 or so years, on the ward and day clinic. All areas have their pros and cons, but overall I think it's a really rewarding profession, except financially to start with, its not so good....and as with most jobs, I don't think nurses get paid enough for the work they do.

I am not certain the way qualifications go now days, but I think you still need to be an RN before being able to become a midwife. Seems to me doing 3 yrs part time to become an EEN is a bit useless, when you could do a little longer and become an RN straight off. Unless you were aiming for that way because you get paid during your EN training, in that case it's a great way to go.

If there is anything I haven't answered, let me know, I am happy to tell you more. You can pm me if you like too.

Wendy.

3 girls are enough...the shop is now shut!

Hi
At the moment my 54yo Mum is studying her EN. She is an AIN (Assistant In Nursing) at the moment. Her course is 18 months full time although her course group only meets one week a month and the rest of the time she is doing assignments at home (she has teachers' phone number if needed). She is also working full time while doing her study and she is coping really well. She usually has her assignments finished months before they are supposed to be. She is very dedicated though because it is costing her a small fortune! Sometimes she has to ask myself or my sisters a question (usually a maths one) but that is understandable for someone who finished school 40 years ago!

I know she doesn't have any young children to worry about but as I said, she is working full time (sometimes shift work) and is coping!

Good luck!

My babies are all grown up sad

can I just please ask, which of the nursing courses can be done through TAFE and which ones do you have to go to UNI for? and if you do the TAFE course can you use it as a bridge fro UNI (ie credits etc)

thanks

leigha

Leigha''s little men smile

Thanks for your replies!

Kittykat, I would love to be able to go straight to RN, but unfortunately, will have to work whilst studying. That's why I am looking at part-time. Ideally, I'd like to go to Uni and get a Bachelor of Nursing, which is 3yrs full-time.

L*Bad, from what I've found out Diploma courses can be done through Tafe, whereas if you go to uni, you get a degree (Bachelor of Nursing). However, the Tafe course gives you credits towards uni and I think you only have to do 1 year full-time at uni then to have your Bachelor of Nursing.

Leah, DD 24/05/05 DS 09/01/07 #3 due 26/06/10

I think you only have to go to Uni to be an RN (I might be wrong though).
Mum's EN course can be done through TAFE but she opted to do it through a Private College because (I think) she was going to finish earlier and she could continue to work while studying. I am pretty sure she can use it as a bridge if she wanted to do her RN at Uni (counts for a year I think).

My babies are all grown up sad

Oh thanks for that Leah,

I was wondering as I would like to study but would need to do it PT so I can continue working, still trying to decide if I want to go into Nursing or into Social service!!! Ah I thought you were suppose to go crazy with this decision when you completed school not 18 years later lol

Cheers

leigha

Leigha''s little men smile

HIya, IM an RN,

I currently work in Haemodialysis but i started on the wards doing shift work. I worked permenant lates/nights for 18 months because this worked out best for us and i didnt have to use as much child care. But then i was offered to move into dialysis and increased my hours so now DH and i both work part time, with me working more than hubby.

Im lucky in dialysis because we are a fairly sized regional maintanace unit but we only have a small amount of staff qualified in the hospital to do what we do, so we work around each other and if any time of or problems come up we usually help each other. I can also have a TOIL bank of time owed in liu so if both DH and i are working i can leave 30min early to pick up moo.

We also have no night shift, and late shifts on only 3 nights a week and we dont work sundays. Except at christmas time where we rearrange the shifts so that all the patients can have christmas and new years day off. which means we too can have christmas and new years day off (although i picked up a shift for some extra money). Im also halfway through my dialysis course which is internationally recognised.

Its a great career and there are so many things you can do. Doing the EN course first is a great step because you can then work as an EN while you study your RNs although many hospitals (in SA anyway) are now offering undergrad positions allowing 3rd year RN students work in hospitals.
I am a DIV2 nurse and I love it!!!!

ATM i am doing agency nursing which is really grate, I usually work 2-3 shifts per week at the Royal Melbourne Hospital which I love.

I am really lucky my DP works for the ambulance service and dose shift work on a rotating roster,so I am able to work around him

Some of the bigger hospitals have there own day care centers, which I think open a little bit earlier then most.

If you do the tafe course and become a DIV 2 most uni's now offer a degree in nursing over 2 years instead of 3, which is what I am planning to start next year (I got in this year but had to defer because of baby #2)

You can also do a double degree in nursing/midwifery at some uni's which is a 4 year course.

Good luck, I think it is the best job in the world, some days suck hard and the hours can take some getting use to when you first start, but I couldn't see myself doing any thing else.

Hey!

I'm in my 2nd yr RN at uni and have started doing it part time because I have a 2yo and currently pregnant with my second.

I've found the lecturers and everyone really supportive and are willing to give consideration to people with family commitments etc..

So if you can, definately get into it!
Sign in to follow this topic