Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

catholic schools????? Rss

This is a really silly question BUT to send my DD to a catholic school do I have to get her christened first? Sorry we are having school dilemmas and exploring all options (she doesn't go til next year either lol) Thanks in advance smile
she doesnt have to be, BUT in saying that, a catholic school has an obligation to take all the catholic children in its district before they take non catholic children. Does that make sense??

My aunt is the principal at a catholic school and she does take non catholic children if she has space for them after she has taken all the catholic children that had applyed
Most catholic schools like them to be christened but these days they don't seem to mind if they are not.My 2 other children are not christened and they are going to a catholic school.My first children has been christened.
Depends on the school. Some do require it some don't. Our local Catholic school only requires an interview and a promise to raise your child in the Catholic faith- no baptism etc required.
I went to a Catholic school and I am not religious at all but as bubba''n''me said they do take the Catholic children first and often think higher of them.
The one near has has an obligation to take a certain amount of non-catholics.
The catholic school I went to had a mixture of faiths and we had to go to mass but those who were not catholic remained in their seats and were not required to participate..

I don't think it's a requirement anymore because it's getting more rare to baptise and have your first communion. Check with the school though, depends on how strict they are but catholic schools I don't think are as strict as other faith orientated schools..

wow thats great!! You guys have made my night smile Thanks so much!!
I have to say that i disagree with princessdaddynme, and say that non catholic children do not get treated any differantly to the catholic children.
The non catholic children in our school were still required to attend mass when the rest of us did, but being non catholics they did not get up for communion or need to visit the preist for confession or anything like that. You do need to be aware that being a catholic school, your child is going to be exposed to some religious infulences. How much 'religion' a child is going to be exposed to is going to vary from school to school and if your non catholic i would look into how much of the ciriculum will be religious.
The religion side is no worries at all to me neither me or my DH are religious in any way but do think that if they are going to be taught religion we would like it to be catholic. My friends daughter goes to a catholic school (different one) and they only go to mass like 3 times a year so I will quiz her up about it too. Thanks for all your help smile
You do not need to be catholic to take your children to a catholic school. For the school to continue getting some funding from the government they must take ex amount of non catholic children.

They will do religion at school, however if you do not mind then their won't be a huge problem.

Good luck

Posted by: up the duff???
You do not need to be catholic to take your children to a catholic school. For the school to continue getting some funding from the government they must take ex amount of non catholic children.

They will do religion at school, however if you do not mind then their won't be a huge problem.

Good luck

yep ...duffys right !!

I went to a catholic school for 12 years ..
primary we went to church EVERY Friday ...and then atr end of term and stuff like that

in high school we went on sait days and at ed of term !!

we did religion every day through primary to high ...in high school it was a board subject !!

I had many friends who were no catholic and they wernt treated any diffrent adn had to do the same assignments and go tot the same classes as I did ...there was an option for non catholics to get some extra bible study in to get tehm up tto speed ....but that is the only special treatment they got !!!
Sign in to follow this topic