Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Reviews
  5. Do i get a double pram for 18mth & newborn??

Do i get a double pram for 18mth & newborn?? Rss

Hey, desperate on some advice from those who've had babies close together.

I currently have a 4yr old and a 16month old and pregnant with our third (due in 2 months)

I have used my steelcraft stroller for both my girls, but now as we're expecting bubba 3 so close after bubba 2... I'm wondering if i'll need a double pram? (16mth has only JUST started walking / stepping).

I've been considering the Strider Plus 4 - cos i can attach the extra seat when i need it, and then turn it back to a 'one-seat' pram when i only have one child with me - only concerned that they're so wide!!

I've looked at Phil & Teds, but can't afford one brand new and they seem a little unsteady?

I also have a Mei Tai Carrier which i used a lot with bubba#2, and i love it - so could i survive with just our old pram and baby carrier, or should i look into the double prams? What have u guys done?

Appreciate your feedback smile

Ta

Amy, VIC. Due Dec 09

Hey, desperate on some advice from those who've had babies close together.

I currently have a 4yr old and a 16month old and pregnant with our third (due in 2 months)

I have used my steelcraft stroller for both my girls, but now as we're expecting bubba 3 so close after bubba 2... I'm wondering if i'll need a double pram? (16mth has only JUST started walking / stepping).

I've been considering the Strider Plus 4 - cos i can attach the extra seat when i need it, and then turn it back to a 'one-seat' pram when i only have one child with me - only concerned that they're so wide!!

I've looked at Phil & Teds, but can't afford one brand new and they seem a little unsteady?

I also have a Mei Tai Carrier which i used a lot with bubba#2, and i love it - so could i survive with just our old pram and baby carrier, or should i look into the double prams? What have u guys done?

Appreciate your feedback smile

Hi, I'm also expecting baby number three in just under six weeks. My eldest in 4 and my second is now 20 months. I have recently brought the strider plus,what a fantastic pram! I'm wrapped,it's so stable & guarenteed not to tip,unlike the Phil n teds who is known to tip!!! It is a lil wide but iv had no real problem getting around,no more than usual with those already non pram friendly shops etc! I find some toilets a lil tricky so sometimes just use the disabled to get us all in comfortabley! I know my lil man wouldn't be great at walking around the shops for a while,I'm sure he would like it but it would be a very very slow exercise lol! So my vote is,get a double pram and I couldn't recommend the strider highly enough. Also I got the capsule to go with it,to make things even easier! Good luck!

Ta

<a href=

My girls are 14 months apart and I bought a double pram with a removable toddler seat. Disaster, the toddler seat squished the baby once she was about 2 months old. My mum then bought be a twin (side by side) umbrella pram which I loved. easy and light to fold away, steer etc. would reccommend it as little legs do get tired and 18 months is a bit little to be walking for long peiods of time.

The only problem with that is you have to wait unitl the baby can support their head unless you get a more expensive one you can lie back. I used a baby carrier and a single pram instead until I could use the twin pram.

I use to have a monkey backpack/ leash and a single umbrella pram too for shorter walks when she hit about 2. Just hook the monkey tail to the pram and you don't have to worry about run away toddlers.

Hope that helps
I have just purchased a Baby Jogger City Mini Double as my babies are 17 months apart.
It is fantastic and suitable from birth.
It is side by side, light weight, fits through a standard sized doorway.
Check out www.babyjoggerstrollers.com.au
Get on Ebay and buy a second hand one if you can't afford new, or maybe some friends/family can pitch in to help pay?
I didn't want to risk my son running off at the shops (scary thought) and getting lost as he was a bit naughty so safer for him to be in the stroller. And I found with the toddler seats they don't leave enough room behind and by the time your little one is 6 months old and sitting up a bit more her nose will be and inch form the back of the toddler seat.
As I am out and about a bit doing school/kinder runs I also like the side by side model as it is easier to feed my younger child her fruit etc... Harder to do this if she was tucked into a tandem or phil and teds...
Hope this is helpful.
I am going to have 22/23 months between my kids when my little bub decides to join us very soon. I had the exact same question as i was worried my boy would run off and not be able to handle walking all the time to begin with...im sure things will change within 6 months or so but the idea of a runaway toddler in the shops just scares me. So i was hoping to get one but couldnt afford it, but then one of my friends was selling her Valco runabout with toddler seat for a very good price so i ended up buying it off her, but geez im glad i did. I havnt actually used it with 2 yet but i just feel a bit better knowing i have the option. Maybe just keep an eye out on ebay and fingers crossed you come across something. If my friend wasnt selling hers i wouldnt have been able to get one and was planning to use the baby carrier for as long as possible and have my boy in the stroller...or just see how my son went and decide once i had seen how things went...

Good luck its really hard to know as each child is different, but im thinking with an 18mo who has not long started walking you would probably get some good use out of a pram for 2
THANKS GUYS!!!

Love the feedback!!... very helpful and given me much to think about!!

Think i'll head back to "Baby Bunting" with a better idea of what to look/ask when checking out the prams!!

XOXO

Amy, VIC. Due Dec 09

Hi my dd was 2yrs 2mths when ds was born, I had a side by side as she still needs to be in a pram/stoller at times, so I bought a strider plus 2 as you have the choice to have the second seat, you can also take of the main seat have it rear facing with no seat underneath(which I never liked the look of seats under the main seat but this one is ok) you get extension clips for the main seat to make more room for the older child underneath. theres lots more good things with it.

jade82

hi my boys are 19 months apart and although i couldn't have lived without a double pram. i would also spend the extra money and get the one which can take the most weight, i didn't and always wished i had of as it didn't take long to reach the weight limit and one of the seats tore a little (though my oldest WAS a bit of a buddha tongue ). they get tired and it's a lot easier to keep them contained rather than chase one while pushing a pram! i had a baby sling as well but still needed the pram.
What about those skater board things? You can unfold them and clip them onto a pram for an older bub to ride on?

Another friend brought a normal pram with a solid bar across the back, and her oldest daughter would stand on that.

What if you put the newborn in a baby carrier until they are old enough to ride in an upright stroller?
Hey, I've got the same problem of what sort of pram to get, I have a 4yo, an 18mo and am due in 4months. I currently have a zuzu pram with the toddler seat attachment which I currently use as a single pram with the skateboard (these are great for 3+, especially in busy shopping centres). But I already know that once bub is wanting to sit up, the toddler seat is way too close, not only is there hardly any room to move and see, but fingers get caught between the seat and frame. Does anyone know if the strider plus has any of these problems (I like the idea of going back to the single pram and skate board once my daughter is a bit older) would this work with the strider plus? Or should I just go for a double pram? If so, side by side or tandem?
Sign in to follow this topic