Huggies Forum

Pork Crackling Rss

Can anyone help me with making pork crackling?!

I personally don't like it therefore I never bother with it, but DP loves it so wanted to surprise him with some however I don't know how lol and when I goggled it, it comes up with all different ways (some way too much work lol) so hit me with the way you do it?!

Can anyone help me with making pork crackling?!

I personally don't like it therefore I never bother with it, but DP loves it so wanted to surprise him with some however I don't know how lol and when I goggled it, it comes up with all different ways (some way too much work lol) so hit me with the way you do it?!

Grab a really sharp knife and score the rind (more than what is done) the thinner the strips the easier it is to crisp. Dry it off well with paper towel. Massage the rind well with oil sprinkle with a good amount of salt and massage that in get both the oil and salt in the cuts. Throw it in a preheated oven (must be preheated) at 230deg for 30 mins then turn it down to 200 for the remainder of the cooking time.

Its a cheats way of doing it, but when your roast is cooked gently take the skin off. Let the meat rest while you scrape off some of the fat behind the skin then pop it under a hot grill for a few minutes or back in the oven and lay it across your roast vegetables.

That's it - couldn't be simpler smile
i got this off my mum who got it off my nan and always works for them and tastes great hehe..

Mum puts oil and salt all over it and rubbs it in making sure its all well covered and plenty of it... when its all cooked i just peel it off and dab it up with some paper towel to remove any excess oil.. But you do have to use a fair bit of salt and oil....
I love crackling and have tried all sorts of ways... I found the best crackling is made by:

Score the skin with a sharp knife - make equal cuts diagonally in both directions.

Then pour a kettle full of boiling water over the whole thing - you'll see the skin shrink a little and it softens it which means it crackles easier.

Dry it off really well with paper towel, then rub in the oil and salt.

It works best if you let it rest with the oil and salt on it for at least 30mins so that it really soaks in.

Then cook the pork on a minimum of 200C for 20 mins - check that it has crackled and turn it down to 180C for the remainder of the cooking time.

At the end if it needs a little bit more I turn the grill on to finish it off nicely.

YUM... now I want pork!! lol

thanks for the replies, how much oil/salt do I use? lol

thanks for the replies, how much oil/salt do I use? lol

I use about a tablespoon of salt and enough oil to give a good coat

Rubbing salt into the rind a few hours before cooking so that it can draw out moisture helps too. just brush off most of the salt before cooking. Though if all else fails take the rind off while the pork is resting and grill it till it crackles.
Sign in to follow this topic